Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on WF 1.7 carat H VS1 with feather please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Megane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
18
Hello,

I have been looking for a while for a 1.7 carat diamond within the $15-16k range, and in order to stay within that price range, it has to be a G/SI1 or H/VS1 or below.
This would be an upgrade, my current diamond is WF ACA 1.2 F/VS1.

I came upon this one from whiteflash and would very much like your opinion...

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-737784.htm

My only concern is the feather really. But I have called and they told me it is not reaching the surface, is closed and do not pose any durability issue. But still, I am a little hesitant and would love to have expert opinions...

What do you think, it is a good one, would H be too much of a difference with my current F.. should I buy it or just wait for a G/SI1 color diamond... Even though I am thinking since it is an ACA diamond, the difference between the G and H should not be that noticeable... I am not at all in a rush, so would rather wait than not make the right decision...

I put it on hold for 24h... so I have to make up my mind by then!

Any opininon would be appreciated!!!
Thank you!!!
 

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
42,064
Date: 3/2/2009 11:54:46 AM
Author:Megane
Hello,

I have been looking for a while for a 1.7 carat diamond within the $15-16k range, and in order to stay within that price range, it has to be a G/SI1 or H/VS1 or below.
This would be an upgrade, my current diamond is WF ACA 1.2 F/VS1.

I came upon this one from whiteflash and would very much like your opinion...

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-737784.htm

My only concern is the feather really. But I have called and they told me it is not reaching the surface, is closed and do not pose any durability issue. But still, I am a little hesitant and would love to have expert opinions...

What do you think, it is a good one, would H be too much of a difference with my current F.. should I buy it or just wait for a G/SI1 color diamond... Even though I am thinking since it is an ACA diamond, the difference between the G and H should not be that noticeable... I am not at all in a rush, so would rather wait than not make the right decision...

I put it on hold for 24h... so I have to make up my mind by then!

Any opininon would be appreciated!!!
Thank you!!!
There won't be a problem with a VS1 feather in a hand selected AGS0 cut grade diamond such as an ACA - no worries! H colour is a sweet spot for many and can be an excellent choice and still very white, I think you will be pleased, but in the very rare instance you were not, WF do have a good return policy, I don't think you will need it though!
 

Megane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
18
Thank you so much for your answer Lorelei!
I feel better about the feather, I just read so many post on pricescope regarding feather, that made me worried...

I guess I am just a bit scared not making the right decision.. I would like this upgrade to be the only one... and want to be sure about my choice this time... When my fiance purchased the original stone, he wanted me to get a bigger stone to start with but I did not.
However, now, next to my my wedding band, with diamonds that are ACA 0.15 F/G VS, the 1.2 carat gets a bit lost next to the band unfortunately, which is too bad because it is a beautiful stone...

What is your opinion, do you think the H/VS1/VS2 would be a good compromise, less in color but better in clarity, or would a G/SI1 would be better, for its higher color, but of course, I would have to go down clarity to stay within my price range.

My only concern is I definitely want the diamond to be eye clean, which may or not be the case for SI1, but I am willing to wait until I find one that is...

Would I see a noticeable difference with an H color diamond next to my F/G diamond band?

Thanks again!
 

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
2,844
Date: 3/2/2009 1:00:32 PM
Author: Megane
Thank you so much for your answer Lorelei!

I feel better about the feather, I just read so many post on pricescope regarding feather, that made me worried...


I guess I am just a bit scared not making the right decision.. I would like this upgrade to be the only one... and want to be sure about my choice this time... When my fiance purchased the original stone, he wanted me to get a bigger stone to start with but I did not.

However, now, next to my my wedding band, with diamonds that are ACA 0.15 F/G VS, the 1.2 carat gets a bit lost next to the band unfortunately, which is too bad because it is a beautiful stone...


What is your opinion, do you think the H/VS1/VS2 would be a good compromise, less in color but better in clarity, or would a G/SI1 would be better, for its higher color, but of course, I would have to go down clarity to stay within my price range.


My only concern is I definitely want the diamond to be eye clean, which may or not be the case for SI1, but I am willing to wait until I find one that is...


Would I see a noticeable difference with an H color diamond next to my F/G diamond band?


Thanks again!
I have an H/SI2 center stone and and the stones in my eternity ring are G color. I can''t tell the difference. BTW my SI2 is very eye clean. GL and I can''t wait to see it. Btw I got my rings from WF..they were very honest when I was looking for my center stone. I trust them. GL
 

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
42,064
Date: 3/2/2009 1:00:32 PM
Author: Megane
Thank you so much for your answer Lorelei!
I feel better about the feather, I just read so many post on pricescope regarding feather, that made me worried...

I guess I am just a bit scared not making the right decision.. I would like this upgrade to be the only one... and want to be sure about my choice this time... When my fiance purchased the original stone, he wanted me to get a bigger stone to start with but I did not.
However, now, next to my my wedding band, with diamonds that are ACA 0.15 F/G VS, the 1.2 carat gets a bit lost next to the band unfortunately, which is too bad because it is a beautiful stone...

What is your opinion, do you think the H/VS1/VS2 would be a good compromise, less in color but better in clarity, or would a G/SI1 would be better, for its higher color, but of course, I would have to go down clarity to stay within my price range.

My only concern is I definitely want the diamond to be eye clean, which may or not be the case for SI1, but I am willing to wait until I find one that is...

Would I see a noticeable difference with an H color diamond next to my F/G diamond band?

Thanks again!
I don''t think you will see a difference between the H and the F/G band. I definitely think H VS is an excellent compromise, and I don''t think you would notice any difference between G and H of this cut quality. What I would do is contact WF and ask for Bob or one of the other experts to '' talk you through'' the diamond, that way they will be able to tell you more about how the colour or lack of presents itself in this particular diamond and give you further reassurance.
 

Megane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
18
Thank you atroop711 and Lorelei for your opinions, it is always nice to hear from someone else. I guess I need some reassurance since it is a significant purchase..

I actually just spoke with Bob regarding this particular stone. And he did tell me that there is no issue at all regarding this feather, especially with a VS1. So I am fine with that, and no issue either regarding the color difference with my band.

I am pretty sure I am good to go now with that stone. But I think I will have sent it to me so I can have a look before setting it, just in case... It is always a good piece of mind to take a look at the stone first.
 

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
10,589
I wouldn''t worry about any inclusions in a VS1. To get the VS1 the inclusions have to be super tiny tiny and honestly I''d be amazed if you could see them with your eyes and VS1 inclusions are even difficult to see with a 10x loupe.
 

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
42,064
Date: 3/2/2009 2:40:24 PM
Author: Megane
Thank you atroop711 and Lorelei for your opinions, it is always nice to hear from someone else. I guess I need some reassurance since it is a significant purchase..

I actually just spoke with Bob regarding this particular stone. And he did tell me that there is no issue at all regarding this feather, especially with a VS1. So I am fine with that, and no issue either regarding the color difference with my band.

I am pretty sure I am good to go now with that stone. But I think I will have sent it to me so I can have a look before setting it, just in case... It is always a good piece of mind to take a look at the stone first.
Most welcome Meg! And that is a good idea to have the diamond sent to you first, then it will ease your mind!
 

Megane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
18
Thanks kcoursolle. Agree with you, VS1, I am mostly sure I wont be seeing it, and honestly, I am not concerned about inclusion in general, since I currently have a VS1, and I can''t see a thing, but it only had a cloud. My concern here was more the feather itself since after all it is a crack... but I guess I should not even worry since it is a closed feather and rated VS1... I will keep you all posted when I make my decision.. I am pretty much set, I think I will go for it tomorrow.. I will take the night to think a bit more about it... :)
 

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
42,064
Date: 3/2/2009 4:10:30 PM
Author: Megane
Thanks kcoursolle. Agree with you, VS1, I am mostly sure I wont be seeing it, and honestly, I am not concerned about inclusion in general, since I currently have a VS1, and I can''t see a thing, but it only had a cloud. My concern here was more the feather itself since after all it is a crack... but I guess I should not even worry since it is a closed feather and rated VS1... I will keep you all posted when I make my decision.. I am pretty much set, I think I will go for it tomorrow.. I will take the night to think a bit more about it... :)
Its a big decision and a bit of extra thought is never a bad idea ( as long as the diamond is safely on hold!!)

Keep us posted!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,283
If it is VS1, then you don''t have a thing to worry about! I assure you that the mark on the cert is more visible than it is in the actual stone! My diamond is 1.63 H VS1 and I have no desire to change it. I would rather have an H VS than a G SI, but that is because inclusions bug me. But VS1 is really safe, so I think you''ll love it!
 

Megane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
18
Hello Diamondseeker,
Thank you for your input, I am more in your side.. when I started to look over a year ago, I was looking for no less than a VS1 because I sure did not wanted to see an inclusion, but then time passed by, and I reviewed my criteria since I wanted a bigger stone to go with my larger wedding band. Now I had to choose between sacrificing a bit of color or clarity to stay within my price range.
But as you mention, I think a G or an H should be close enough, and I would definitely rather have a VS1 than SI1.
I guess my mind is pretty much made up already.. and I like your saying… but in doubt.. don’t…
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Ditto DS. I have a VS1 with a feather. You''d think from the cert you''d be able to see it with a loupe. I can tell you in the ... 6? 7? years I''ve had it, I haven''t found it. My appraiser did, and that was all I cared about. Should be perfectly safe in a VS1.
 

Megane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
18
Thank you very much Gipsy for your reassuring words ! I am now confident with my decision! I did think further about it, and VS1 is the way to go for me, I think it would be better than the SI1. And after all, I have a few days to look at it and have it appraise once I receive it, so it is a great piece of mind as well.
 

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
42,064
Sounds like you are going to buy it???
 

Megane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
18
Hello!!
Yes, that is it !!! I did buy it! I am working with WF for the upgrade.. I will let you know how it goes. I have to send mine back and it will be re evaluated by AGS, once it clears out, they will send the new one back.
That gives me time to work on the new setting since my current one won''t work... I saw a few pictures, I am thinking of a mix from the 1895 cartier solitaire and some Mark Morrell design.. not sure yet, but I will sure ask your opinions!!! I need to request the quote to WF and others as well...
Thanks again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top