shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this stone? First time Ritani Buyer

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
Hello there,

I have been looking at stones for a bit and came across some ranges for a perfect round diamond. While some fall in the range with the Heart and Arrow indication on the IGI report, I have seen that many stones tables are a bit bigger than the 54%-57% desired. I am looking at the diamond below. Can you guys let me know if a larger table can be compromised based on carat or proportions? And most importantly, would you go with this stone? I am looking for one in the range of 2.5 to 3 ct and would appreciate any advice on this journey!

Attachments

• certificate.pdf
    382.6 KB · Views: 12

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pass on this stone. The striations are very obvious, and I'm not a fan of the proportions.

Take a look at this one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not a fan of the original stone posted. But the alternative kim suggested is great

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
I would pass on this stone. The striations are very obvious, and I'm not a fan of the proportions.

Take a look at this one.

Thank you so much Kim! It looks like I still have a lot to learn. I’m looking at my range and am thinking I might’ve set a bigger range than my small size 5 fingers might be fit for. If you have a few more options for 2.4-2.7 ct, I would definitely be open to looking at a few more. Otherwise, if 2.76 isn’t too big, I’ll definitely pull the trigger!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Kim! It looks like I still have a lot to learn. I’m looking at my range and am thinking I might’ve set a bigger range than my small size 5 fingers might be fit for. If you have a few more options for 2.4-2.7 ct, I would definitely be open to looking at a few more. Otherwise, if 2.76 isn’t too big, I’ll definitely pull the trigger!

How about these?

This one is HPHT.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I just pulled out my original diamond from my engagement ring. It was .28!! (My husband knew nothing about diamonds. He thought it was heart shaped but it was pear!). It also had a big chunk of coal in the center. When I got my upgrade - the diamond in my avatar. I thought it was HUGE! It felt so big on my hand. It is 2.01 plus the halo. Now I am in the middle of upgrading again! In other words, you want it to be comfortable on your hand, but don't discount a larger diamond if everything else is right. IF it's possible to buy both and compare them, then return the one you don't want. Or maybe use the dimensions to cut 2 out of paper (not the best idea, but better than nothing). Here is their return policy for loose stones.

Loose Diamonds and Loose Lab Diamonds have a 15-day return policy, and can only be returned within 15 days of when it was delivered to you. If you order a diamond and add a setting to it at a later time, the diamond will get an extended return window of an additional 15 days of when it was delivered to you, 30 days in total. It will not get a new return period after it is set in a ring and delivered to you. Effective on purchases made after November 3rd, 2022Free return shipping only applies to U.S customers and is limited to three per customer. To return an item, simply contact our customer service team for a return label and RMA. It will take about 24 - 48 hours for our team to send you a pre-paid, fully insured FedEx 2-Day label. We should receive your return within two business days, excluding weekends and holidays. All refunds will be processed within two weeks, in the original purchase method, unless noted otherwise. Our return policy includes: Free return insurance - you're 100% covered from when it leaves your hands until it arrives at our door. Zero cost - FedEx return shipping is prepaid and there are no restocking fees. Scheduled pick-ups - we'll schedule a FedEx pick-up at your home. Note: Two returns/exchanges are allowed per customer, per year.

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
How about these?

This one is HPHT.

Oh that 2.5 ct looks perfect! I think I'm debating between the 2.5 ct and 2.76 ct then. If you picked one, which would it be? It looks like the 2.5 ct does have a higher clarity and color but to my naked eye, I can't really tell if the premium is worth it haha

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
I just pulled out my original diamond from my engagement ring. It was .28!! (My husband knew nothing about diamonds. He thought it was heart shaped but it was pear!). It also had a big chunk of coal in the center. When I got my upgrade - the diamond in my avatar. I thought it was HUGE! It felt so big on my hand. It is 2.01 plus the halo. Now I am in the middle of upgrading again! In other words, you want it to be comfortable on your hand, but don't discount a larger diamond if everything else is right. IF it's possible to buy both and compare them, then return the one you don't want. Or maybe use the dimensions to cut 2 out of paper (not the best idea, but better than nothing). Here is their return policy for loose stones.

Loose Diamonds and Loose Lab Diamonds have a 15-day return policy, and can only be returned within 15 days of when it was delivered to you. If you order a diamond and add a setting to it at a later time, the diamond will get an extended return window of an additional 15 days of when it was delivered to you, 30 days in total. It will not get a new return period after it is set in a ring and delivered to you. Effective on purchases made after November 3rd, 2022Free return shipping only applies to U.S customers and is limited to three per customer. To return an item, simply contact our customer service team for a return label and RMA. It will take about 24 - 48 hours for our team to send you a pre-paid, fully insured FedEx 2-Day label. We should receive your return within two business days, excluding weekends and holidays. All refunds will be processed within two weeks, in the original purchase method, unless noted otherwise. Our return policy includes: Free return insurance - you're 100% covered from when it leaves your hands until it arrives at our door. Zero cost - FedEx return shipping is prepaid and there are no restocking fees. Scheduled pick-ups - we'll schedule a FedEx pick-up at your home. Note: Two returns/exchanges are allowed per customer, per year.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! The paper cutout is a really smart idea, I'll go find some paper and ruler right now hehe. I'm glad to know Ritani's return policy seems very reasonable and am definitely consider buying 2 and returning the one I don't like.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! The paper cutout is a really smart idea, I'll go find some paper and ruler right now hehe. I'm glad to know Ritani's return policy seems very reasonable and am definitely consider buying 2 and returning the one I don't like.

I actually just found this app from Blue Nile that lets you take a photo of your hand and it graphically shows you how a ring would look. I know someone on here has access to a similar graphic. Maybe try this. https://www.phillymag.com/philadelp...s-virtually-try-engagement-rings-actual-hand/

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry. I just tried to find the app from that article (2014) and couldn’t find it, but I am looking for another one. If I find one that works, I’ll let you know. In the meantime, maybe someone who has the other app/program, will post it for you.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that 2.5 ct looks perfect! I think I'm debating between the 2.5 ct and 2.76 ct then. If you picked one, which would it be? It looks like the 2.5 ct does have a higher clarity and color but to my naked eye, I can't really tell if the premium is worth it haha

My favorite is the 2.57 because it's HPHT. I would put the ones you're considering on hold ASA so they don't get sniped.

This tool can help visualize the size.

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
My favorite is the 2.57 because it's HPHT. I would put the ones you're considering on hold ASA so they don't get sniped.

This tool can help visualize the size.

Ugh I didn’t get to see this message before it closed on EST time and won’t open until Sunday! I’m praying no one snipes it until I can call my local Ritani jewelry and confirm the preview process. In the meantime, I’ve done some reading about HPHT and it looks like it creates the better colorless diamonds? Is there any other pros to HPHT compared to CVD? Thank you for all your help Kim. I really appreciate your responses =)2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I didn’t get to see this message before it closed on EST time and won’t open until Sunday! I’m praying no one snipes it until I can call my local Ritani jewelry and confirm the preview process. In the meantime, I’ve done some reading about HPHT and it looks like it creates the better colorless diamonds? Is there any other pros to HPHT compared to CVD? Thank you for all your help Kim. I really appreciate your responses =)2

Can you call the online customer service just to put it on hold until your local Ritani store re-opens?

I prefer HPHT because there are fewer issues to watch out for. With HPHT you really only need to check for blue nuance, which this stone doesn't have. With CVD, there are potential striations, brown or grey tint, haziness, or birefringence. IMO HPHT without blue nuance has the closest appearance to a natural diamond.

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock

You can go ahead and buy it today and select the preview option at checkout. It won't cost you anything except a hold on your credit card for a few days (which will drop off). I've done the previews twice, and you're not obligated at all to purchase.

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
Can you call the online customer service just to put it on hold until your local Ritani store re-opens?

I prefer HPHT because there are fewer issues to watch out for. With HPHT you really only need to check for blue nuance, which this stone doesn't have. With CVD, there are potential striations, brown or grey tint, haziness, or birefringence. IMO HPHT without blue nuance has the closest appearance to a natural diamond.

Hi Kim, I ordered the 2.57 and the 2.76 just to see both in person and decide which one I like better. I'll come back with photos to reward your help in this process! Cheers to exciting stones in the near future!

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
You can go ahead and buy it today and select the preview option at checkout. It won't cost you anything except a hold on your credit card for a few days (which will drop off). I've done the previews twice, and you're not obligated at all to purchase.

Thank you for confirming the process! I was afraid my local jewelry only lets me schedule weekdays for Ritani Previews as they are quite busy on the weekends. I called today and confirmed they can work around my schedule so I've gone ahead and placed the order :mrgreen2:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. How will they effect how the stone looks in hand?

They won't always have bad effects, but sometimes they'll cause haziness or birefringence. A trusted vendor who can view the stone in person for you could tell you if a CVD stone has any issues.

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
They won't always have bad effects, but sometimes they'll cause haziness or birefringence. A trusted vendor who can view the stone in person for you could tell you if a CVD stone has any issues.

I see, thank you very much.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kim, I ordered the 2.57 and the 2.76 just to see both in person and decide which one I like better. I'll come back with photos to reward your help in this process! Cheers to exciting stones in the near future!

That's really great that you'll be able to compare both side-by-side! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I dont know if it's helpful, but I have a 2.5 carat 8.5mm lab and a 2.72 carat 9.0mm lab on my 4.25 size finger and they look the same size to me. I have found for me personally i dont see a difference on "smaller" size changes. Also, when they're in a gem holder, they sit way higher on the finger than most settings so to me they look bigger, so keep that in mind if you put them in a gem holder to try them on.

I cant wait to see them both!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
I dont know if it's helpful, but I have a 2.5 carat 8.5mm lab and a 2.72 carat 9.0mm lab on my 4.25 size finger and they look the same size to me. I have found for me personally i dont see a difference on "smaller" size changes. Also, when they're in a gem holder, they sit way higher on the finger than most settings so to me they look bigger, so keep that in mind if you put them in a gem holder to try them on.

This is super helpful! Not to thread jack, but I'm currently waiting on my jeweler to finish setting my new 2.69 carat, and I was very nervous about the fact that it would look too big compared to the 2.32 carat and 2.40 carat stones that I was originally interested in. This is good to hear - especially from a fellow 4.25 size finger :)

@Nhimoo - I'm excited for you to get your diamonds to view in person! They both look beautiful.

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the insight. This was super helpful. I also thought the small increment in carats may not be that big of a difference. My partner personally prefers the bigger one just to say its more haha but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing both in person and letting you guys know which one I love more. The tip for the gem holder is good to know as this will be my first time trying on stones in person, heck this will be my first time seeing a diamond up close and personal so I'll probably be mesmerized either way!

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
This is super helpful! Not to thread jack, but I'm currently waiting on my jeweler to finish setting my new 2.69 carat, and I was very nervous about the fact that it would look too big compared to the 2.32 carat and 2.40 carat stones that I was originally interested in. This is good to hear - especially from a fellow 4.25 size finger :)

@Nhimoo - I'm excited for you to get your diamonds to view in person! They both look beautiful.

The stones have been secured so now we just have to wait for them to make their way to me! I was afraid it would've fallen through at this point already haha

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
The diamonds have been shipped! They should be here tomorrow but setting up an appointment to Preview may take some time. Fingers crossed! So excited :kiss2:

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
The diamonds have been shipped! They should be here tomorrow but setting up an appointment to Preview may take some time. Fingers crossed! So excited :kiss2:

Awesome! The Preview period is only 7 days, so make sure you get there before then (although I don't know how stringent they are about that).

Nhimoo

Rough_Rock
Awesome! The Preview period is only 7 days, so make sure you get there before then (although I don't know how stringent they are about that).

Oh! I didn't know the Preview period was so short but I should definitely double check with my local vendor then. How does anyone get anything done on business hours around here?!

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
Oh! I didn't know the Preview period was so short but I should definitely double check with my local vendor then. How does anyone get anything done on business hours around here?!

Also, I should mention that you can't preview on Saturday. We found this out the hard way when my husband traveled an hour away to pick up my ring only to be told they couldn't release it cause Ritani must be open too (so they can process the credit card charge). That was really disappointing!

I'm guessing if you let Ritani know that they'll accommodate you though, as they do try to help. I'd just make sure they're aware.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results