shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this GIA 0.74 I found

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shinji1

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I recently found a H&A 0.74 diamond from a local jeweler, would like your opinion on it. Here''s the link to the GIA report :

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=14206686&weight=0.74

I viewed this diamond under a "ideal scope" and observed the H&A pattern. Its nice.. but the "cut grade" on the gia report is only very good. Is that cause for concern?

The seller also told me that a D colored diamond will give off more fire and brilliance then a similar diamond with a lower color rating. He also suggested that a diamond with no fluorescence is the most desirable.

Thanks for any help in advance.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VG cut grade due to shallow/shallow combo. I''d pass.

A D could have the potential to return more light, but it''s all in the cut. IF you wanted to optimize a D and you wanted to optimize a G, they would be cut to different proportions.

shinji1

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:11:34 PM
Author: JulieN
VG cut grade due to shallow/shallow combo. I'd pass.

A D could have the potential to return more light, but it's all in the cut. IF you wanted to optimize a D and you wanted to optimize a G, they would be cut to different proportions.

Can you please explain what you mean by Shallow/shallow combo? Sorry I'm pretty new at this.

Thanks in advance!

I popped the parameters into the HCA, and I got a rating of 0.7, which supposedly is within the TIC range. What I'm not sure is what that number (0.7) means. Is small better?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the Tolkowsky proportions: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/tolk.asp

The .74:
Depth: 60.9 %

Table: 56 %

Crown Angle: 33.5°

Crown Height: 14.5 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.6°

Pavilion Depth: 42.5 %

So the crown angle is shallower than Tolk (by a degree-yes, that''s a lot) and the pavilion angle as well is shallower than Tolk. Then we call it a shallow/shallow combination.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For HCA, anything under 2 can be rejected, and lower is not better. There are many combos that are under 2. What HCA does is gives us a wider range of ideal, rather than just the Tolkowsky standard.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hey Julie, at the risk of picking nits
2.gif
I'd refer to this simply as 'shallow' using GIA nomenclature. Shallow-shallow would see the CA nearer 31.5 degrees.

GIA Definitions

Slightly shallow crown = at or near 31.5
Moderately shallow crown = at or near 26.5
Shallow crown = at or near 22.0
Very shallow crown = at or near 20.0
Extremely shallow crown < 20.0

Slightly shallow pavilion = at or near 40.4
Moderately shallow pavilion = at or near 39.8
Shallow pavilion = at or near 38.8
Very shallow pavilion = at or near 37.4
Extremely shallow pavilion < 37.4

shinji1

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:21:18 PM
For HCA, anything under 2 can be rejected, and lower is not better. There are many combos that are under 2. What HCA does is gives us a wider range of ideal, rather than just the Tolkowsky standard.

Thanks for the information. Some more questions about the HCA :
1. Is it true that the HCA is only meaningful for diamonds that are perfectly symmetric? On the same token, since H&A diamonds are perfectly symmetric, would that imply that HCA is only meaningful for H&A diamonds?
2. I''ve seen many AGS0 having a HCA rating lower than 2. I know this might not be a valid question, but what does this mean?
3. "Diamonds that rate below 2 (red on the chart) are unlikely to show too much leakage darkness, overly thin or thick girdles, or fish-eyes". Isn''t this something we want? If so, why is a diamond with a HCA < 2 undesirable?

Thanks again for your help

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, yes, John.

shinji,
1. HCA gives the most accurate numbers when the stone is cut most accurately. Makes sense, doesn't it? On HCA, we are just aiming for under 2. 1.2 is not better than 1.5, so we are just asking for a reasonable amount of symmetry.
2. That means AGS's scoring and the HCA theory is aligned. Or something like that.
3. MY BAD! Stones with HCA greater than 2 are to be rejected.
8.gif

SBee

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:21:18 PM
For HCA, anything under 2 can be rejected...

is that a typo?? I'm confused. I thought it was the other way around.
*EDIT* NEVERMIND! We posted at the same time :)

shinji1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! You guys are so helpful.

One thing I''m still not certain about is fluorescence, and how will it affect the brilliance/fire of the diamond. Is it true that we should strive for rocks that have no fluorescence?

Also how important is it for a diamond to have a color rating of D, compared to say G? Will the color of the diamond affect the perceived fire/brilliance of the rock?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is fluorescence? Light in the UV range is brought down to a lower energy level and emitted in the visible range. That doesn''t sound like a reason to avoid it, does it?

Many people cannot tell the difference between D and G face up, anyway. As long as they are both properly cut, there will not be any visible difference in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results