shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this Asscher, please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misspix

Rough_Rock
What do you think of this stone? Is it a good price? What about the appearance of its size? I am going from a cushion. Do you think that your average cushion looks bigger or smaller than your average Asscher of the same weight? Thanks so much!

http://www.gemhunt.com/stone_detail.php?id=14768

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to comment that many people on this site will tell you to stay away from this asscher b/c it has a large table. The depth and table are almost exactly the same as the asscher I purchased and I couldn''t be happier with it. I think the price is very fair. I have a H VS1 that is 1.39 and paid 6900 for it. If YOU love the diamond thats all that matters...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"If YOU love the diamond thats all that matters...Huh????
I disagree.

I realize that plenty of women are walking around with a under-performing and overpriced diamonds that they love because Mr. Right gave it to them, and bless their hearts.

I certainly don't want to ruin their day but Pricescope is all about getting the best diamond for the money.
That must be based on science, not emotion.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hello MissPix and WELCOME to Pricescope!
35.gif

I''m not sure how much reading you have done on the forum about asschers, but there is a wealth of info here. In a nutshell, it''s very difficult to determine how nice an asscher is from proportions alone. It''s hard to take good straight-on photos as well. Many experts here will ask for an ASET image in order to judge the stone unseen.

The most important thing about the asscher listing will therefore be the return policy. You will have to see it to judge it for yourself. One of our resident experts thinks a stone with a depth over 70% requires a discount.

I''ve uploaded the photo from eBay for others to comment on. There is another photo that is brighter, but it''s taken at more of an angle.

If you want to read past threads, enter "asscher" in the Search box in the righthand corner and get ready for the deluge!

gemhutimage1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bleh cut + width of 6.66 id never buy it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
starryeyed its the table that is 71 and the depth of 61.7 it has great spread that is the best that can be said of it.
pretty much all the rest sux.

misspix

Rough_Rock
Well, that's disappointing. Thanks for the advice though. I'd definitely never buy online without a good return policy, but I figure you can tell something about the stone from its specs alone. That's why I asked. I have read the long thread about Asschers, but it quickly got too technical for an amateur like myself.

I have two more questions if you don't mind:

1. What are the most important specs when considering an Asscher? Cut? Color? Depth?

2. What are your opinions on this stone? All I can give are the specs because I'm not able to copy from Blue Nile.

Price: $7393
Carat: 1.35
Cut: Very Good
Color: H
Clarity: VVS1
Depth: 64.1%
Table: 67%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin, Polished
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 6.36 x 6.24 x 4.0
L to W: 1.02
Certified by GIA

Thanks so much for your help!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the correction Storm.

MissPix, just wondering - did you read the threads in the FAQ''s? There are some guidelines about proportions, etc. It sounds like the clarity and color you chose are good. I believe you want to aim H or above and VS2 or above - these factors are more visible in an asscher than in a RB.

I''ll really have to leave it to Storm to comment on the stone - I have little feel for how a stone might look based on numbers. BN probably has a good return policy, right?

Rather than do it yourself, you may want to pick a vendor to work with, like Good Old Gold or Engagment Rings Direct, and have them check out stones for you. That way, at least there is someone who has an experienced eye looking at the stone before you buy. Trying to get photos, idealscope images, etc. and judge yourself is hard. Many of the stones are not in-house, so it''s difficult to get more info. It can get expensive and inconvenient to keep shipping things back and forth. Comparing 3 stones in person can cost a small fortune!

I don''t know if BN has the capability to source a good stone based on visuals like GOG or ERD. It may help for you to think about and define what you are looking for visually. How clipped do you like the corners, how many steps do you prefer in the pavilion (3, 4 or 5), etc. I would assume you are looking for a stone that faces up bright, but with good contrast. Do you like fat windmills or skinny windmills? Those types of things.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2006 8:31:51 PM
Author: kenny
''If YOU love the diamond thats all that matters...Huh????
I disagree.

I realize that plenty of women are walking around with a under-performing and overpriced diamonds that they love because Mr. Right gave it to them, and bless their hearts.

I certainly don''t want to ruin their day but Pricescope is all about getting the best diamond for the money.
That must be based on science, not emotion.
As the proud owner of a very beautiful, "imperfect" asscher, I''ve got to disagree with Kenny. I think there are probably some really beautiful stones that have passed through here that have been rejected because they were judged using science rather then eyeballs.

That said, I would never consider buying a diamond from Ebay....I''d want to work through a proven, honest vendor whose experience and "eyeballs" I trust.

JMO
widget

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results