shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this antique cushion old mine cut

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if I could get peoples opinion on the faceting of this antique cushion. It has an overwhelming setting so I cropped it out so you could get a better idea of the diamond alone.

It does not come with a report so the specks from the seller and are as follows:

2.70 ct
K color
VS1 clarity
8.15mm x 8.15mm x 5.3mm This confuses me as it looks longer than it is wide to me.

Also, what ballpark price would you think is fair for it. I know it's hard to judge as it doesn't have a certification but a ballpark guess like, I good deal for 5k, 10k, 20k etc

cushion1.png

cushion2.png

Thank you!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh, I have that one on my watch-list, and you are totally right about the setting.

The price is a little too good, I think, and the rest of the store seems pretty much in-line with vintage pricing ... so I'd guess color and clarity are probably significantly lower than described. Looks like an O-P to me. I'm also thinking it's likelier to be 8 by ... maybe 6, just going off the look of it (I'm guessing that was just a typo or an absent-minded moment, and not deliberately deceptive - worth asking them to remeasure it for you). But with a 14-day return period, it seems like it might be worth a gamble. I'll leave it to the cushion experts to comment on the faceting - I think it looks like it has promise, but I don't know from cushions.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've seen that one too and I totally agree with Circe.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think they need to give you better dimensions because it does appear elongated. The size is around a 1.9ish carat face up. I don't love the faceting, I like crisper faceting but I could allow for a little wonkiness in an OMC. I wouldn't want to pay more than 6k without more information.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wonder if it's quite shallow. The center facets look so watery... maybe leakage? It could still look nice IRL, and you can get away with a certain degree of shallowness and get extra spread. Can you ask the seller for extra photos?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Gemfever that the facet pattern looks off to me. Not crisp but that could also be bad photography. I would also say the O/P in color is probably correct. However I bet in natural sunlight it will look even more tinted then that. I know cushions face up small but at 2.70cts doesn't 8.1mm seem a little off to anyone else? I thought it would be closer to 8.3 or 8.4mm.

EDIT- is that a fish eye in the center?

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your expert advise. I'm going to pass. They did give me the correct dimensions though! In case anyone is curious its 8.7mm x 7.4mm x 4.7mm.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much too shallow and showing the negative effects of that lack of depth -- a hazy and indestinct appearance in the central zone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results