shape
carat
color
clarity

OPINION ON THE COLOR OLD BURMESE SPINEL

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Hi, All!
Some time ago I find this old cushion deep red-orange Spinel, 4.80cts.
It was mounted in another setting. Now is mounted in an old 22K gold ring.
I know it's difficult to judge gemstones through pictures, but I would like to know your opinion regarding the color, hue,.......
Thanks in advance and Happy Week!

20160406_084027-1__1_.jpg 20160406_084939-1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second picture proves the reason why photography isn't the best way to evaluate colour accurately for appraisal purposes (hue, tone, and saturation). You wrote that the setting is a rich 22K YG but it looks like unplated 14K WG in that picture. It is best to seek the services of an independent appraiser who will be able to handle the stone in person.

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono for your answer.
I fully understand your answer. The support of the second picture is golden and confused fully with the color of the ring frame, looking rather silvery more than gold.
My question is about the best color and tone for an old red Burmese spinel, apart from the red traffic light that always appears in the texts.

burmese_spinel_3.jpg img-20160412-wa0004-1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Lighting has to be consistent. I have no idea what is your light source and the strength of the light. Graders at reputable labs use a very specific lightbulb at a specific strength.

2. Colour shifting - spinels are notorious shifters, which will affect its value,

3. Cut - this one is best seen in person to see how the facets play with the light (brilliance, shadowing, extinction, etc).

As you can tell, we can only guess and that guess could well be very far off!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results