Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on ShaneCo wedding set

carrwash13

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
16
So I bought my diamond from whitelfash and now I want to get my wedding set at a local jeweler to make resizing easy. I just was wondering what everyone's opinion was on Shaneco and their wedding sets? Are they good quality? I'm looking to buy their "Unmounted 1 ct. t.w. Round Diamond Wedding Set." I have also been looking at a local small jeweler downtown and their prices seem similar.

Here is a pic:
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/ShaneCo/41042383_DR_M?$DR_M$&wid=148&hei=148
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
I've never heard of ShaneCo, but the picture you linked to looks nice. (It looks a lot like my original set, so of course I adore it.)

I will say that I don't like those prongs, though. They are not very elegant. I wonder if they could do better on the prongs. My original set had similar prongs and they really drove me crazy.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
When I was still looking for a setting last year, I learned at our Shane Co that they send your stone away with the setting, and it's a 6 week wait for them to set it, and they did not insure against loss or damage to your stone. That was not worth it to me.
 

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
11,614
It looks really pretty! What is the quality of the side diamonds?
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
why not just get it set at WF? they offer 1 free resize with every order (check on this) and then your stone would be covered during the setting process.

I personally don't like settings with a peg head as opposed to an integrated head.
 

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
5,660
slg47|1315330082|3010797 said:
why not just get it set at WF? they offer 1 free resize with every order (check on this) and then your stone would be covered during the setting process.

I personally don't like settings with a peg head as opposed to an integrated head.
Yes. I would want WF to set my store or a local trusted goldsmith. I would not want my stone set by a chair that sends off my stone to who-knows-where to be set.

I suggest you try to get your setting in your size from the get go. Sizing when you have a thin band and a lot or prong-set diamonds is something I would avoid. Also, on the ShaneCo website they don't mention the metal used in their settings. Makes me wonder.
 

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
364
Have you seen the setting in person? I've been to the store before, and while the settings aren't bad, they're nothing to write home about either.
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
slg47|1315330082|3010797 said:
why not just get it set at WF? they offer 1 free resize with every order (check on this) and then your stone would be covered during the setting process.

I personally don't like settings with a peg head as opposed to an integrated head.
Agree - with WF setting it...I'd also compare the price / quality of Shane's to WF's
 

Shane Co.

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
16
Hi Carrwash13!
I really appreciate you even thinking about getting your ring from us. I would be happy to answer any and all questions that you might have as I'm definitely here to help. I did notice that a couple previous posters mentioned that your stone would be sent away for setting. Should you choose to purchase the ring from us, your stone would be set in our store, by one of our jewelers. We would not be sending your stone out to be set by an outside company. If you have any other questions, please let me know! Thanks again for considering us!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I've been to Shane Co. and I've never been impressed by their settings. If you've seen it in person and love it though, just make sure your diamond is insured before you hand it off to anyone-- even and in store bench.

I personally would prefer WF as well, though if it were me.
 

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
5,660
swingirl|1315330966|3010808 said:
slg47|1315330082|3010797 said:
why not just get it set at WF? they offer 1 free resize with every order (check on this) and then your stone would be covered during the setting process.

I personally don't like settings with a peg head as opposed to an integrated head.
Yes. I would want WF to set my store or a local trusted goldsmith. I would not want my stone set by a chair that sends off my stone to who-knows-where to be set.

I suggest you try to get your setting in your size from the get go. Sizing when you have a thin band and a lot or prong-set diamonds is something I would avoid. Also, on the ShaneCo website they don't mention the metal used in their settings. Makes me wonder.
Thank you for clearing that up. I stand corrected. ShaneCo has on-site goldsmiths that do sizing.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
Shane Co. |1315353174|3011106 said:
Hi Carrwash13!
I really appreciate you even thinking about getting your ring from us. I would be happy to answer any and all questions that you might have as I'm definitely here to help. I did notice that a couple previous posters mentioned that your stone would be sent away for setting. Should you choose to purchase the ring from us, your stone would be set in our store, by one of our jewelers. We would not be sending your stone out to be set by an outside company. If you have any other questions, please let me know! Thanks again for considering us!
You might want to correct your St. Louis, MO store then. They even told me that they send them out for settings, sizings and polishings just three days ago which is the 4th time someone from this same store--management included--has told me that. EVERY person in that store said the same thing.
 

Shane Co.

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
16
swingirl|1315371174|3011351 said:
swingirl|1315330966|3010808 said:
slg47|1315330082|3010797 said:
why not just get it set at WF? they offer 1 free resize with every order (check on this) and then your stone would be covered during the setting process.

I personally don't like settings with a peg head as opposed to an integrated head.
Yes. I would want WF to set my store or a local trusted goldsmith. I would not want my stone set by a chair that sends off my stone to who-knows-where to be set.

I suggest you try to get your setting in your size from the get go. Sizing when you have a thin band and a lot or prong-set diamonds is something I would avoid. Also, on the ShaneCo website they don't mention the metal used in their settings. Makes me wonder.
Thank you for clearing that up. I stand corrected. ShaneCo has on-site goldsmiths that do sizing.
Not a problem at all. That's why I'm here! Also, in terms of the metal used in each setting, if you're scrolling through the website and you find a ring you like you can select "Click for QuickView" and that will give you a quick look at the details of each particular ring including Metal Type, Stone Type, Stone Shape, Available Sizes, etc. Almost all of our styles are 14k gold, and platinum, though we do have a few select styles in 18k gold. Though the fact that you didn't notice this might be a usability issue on our site to look into. Thanks!
 

Shane Co.

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
16
ame|1315407614|3011585 said:
Shane Co. |1315353174|3011106 said:
Hi Carrwash13!
I really appreciate you even thinking about getting your ring from us. I would be happy to answer any and all questions that you might have as I'm definitely here to help. I did notice that a couple previous posters mentioned that your stone would be sent away for setting. Should you choose to purchase the ring from us, your stone would be set in our store, by one of our jewelers. We would not be sending your stone out to be set by an outside company. If you have any other questions, please let me know! Thanks again for considering us!
You might want to correct your St. Louis, MO store then. They even told me that they send them out for settings, sizings and polishings just three days ago which is the 4th time someone from this same store--management included--has told me that. EVERY person in that store said the same thing.
I’m sorry if you were given the impression that we send out our pieces to be worked on. We employ jewelers full time at every one of our stores who are there to accommodate our customer’s needs from open to close. We perform all of our work in-house, but based on the amount of pieces that need to be completed, this can take a few days to return the piece to a customer.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
It was more than an impression I was given. I was told that exactly from employees and a manager of that location.
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,788
I am not a fan of most chain jewelry stores. I think you can do better elsewhere and I would want to make sure that the melee is good quality. I haven't seen the stones that Shane Co.uses but I would want to check out a few more online places.

I am also not a fan of that style of head or prongs, but that is a personal preference.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
Shane Co. |1315413572|3011683 said:
ame|1315411488|3011647 said:
It was more than an impression I was given. I was told that exactly from employees and a manager of that location.
I will follow up with our St. Louis store. Thank you.
Thank you.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top