shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on potential padparadscha sapphire

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think you know what will make you happy... you’ve fallen in love with the round.... it looks so gorgeous on you! Idk what the price is, but if it’s in your budget, I think you should do it, regardless of labels. It’s your engagement ring and you should love looking at it, not love what it is called

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round looks beautiful on you.
A stunning ring to enjoy is more important than a colour label. Unless you are paying for the label indeed.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@bcandy, the labs grade by daylight equivalent fluorescent light and I see outdoors it may fall in the range of the “pad”. It also doesn’t wash out outdoors which is good.

Indoors, I do see a purple modifier in the photo. In some I do see a brown cast to it.

Just for comparison, here’s my pad in different lighting. Some light shows a bit of yellow, some it goes more pink, some it goes more peach, so the color shifts depending on the time of the day outdoors. I also took a photo at an angle where it can show a darker shade of sunset so people say they see “red”.

Outdoors:
B8EBF9FD-506B-44B2-9A2C-7F98F6FF01E2.jpeg

Direct sunlight:
76E003D4-0EB2-4241-9B84-1286B70DC16E.jpeg

Indoors:
325B8DE7-1048-4E79-AC8A-598F73185D32.jpeg

2F616341-7212-4D0F-946C-C0F65E5EA97E.jpeg
Under LED lamp:
5AB232A9-4136-4122-AFFA-361A21D7B8EB.jpeg
Sometimes at side angle, some say they see “red”.
5096ADBF-ED50-4DB4-BC6B-F78354293EDD.jpeg

Attachments

• FDF9D5DA-E0AD-4934-AAB4-E8BF634F6011.jpeg
    FDF9D5DA-E0AD-4934-AAB4-E8BF634F6011.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 15
  • C50262E4-EF0A-4EE4-BB2A-1E3839AFDC8F.jpeg
    C50262E4-EF0A-4EE4-BB2A-1E3839AFDC8F.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 18

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Outdoors:
B8EBF9FD-506B-44B2-9A2C-7F98F6FF01E2.jpeg

Direct sunlight:
76E003D4-0EB2-4241-9B84-1286B70DC16E.jpeg

Indoors:
325B8DE7-1048-4E79-AC8A-598F73185D32.jpeg

2F616341-7212-4D0F-946C-C0F65E5EA97E.jpeg
Under LED lamp:
5AB232A9-4136-4122-AFFA-361A21D7B8EB.jpeg
Sometimes at side angle, some say they see “red”.
5096ADBF-ED50-4DB4-BC6B-F78354293EDD.jpeg

Wow, here's one I think no one would have a problem calling a pad. It's a gorgeous, classic color for padparadscha.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@bcandy the ring you are considering features an untreated pad correct? Well, you can weigh in all factors to make your decision, the most important being what you love. I personally like the ring you are considering very much on you. Being untreated and certed as pad are significant. Cut and setting are very Pretty to me. Ok, the color is not like the super wow color of Seaglow's but charming in its own way and what looks good on each person varies. Untreated pads will rarely exhibit the saturation and tone of treated specimens and when they do, in larger sizes will command stellar prices. Like I said just all factors to consider. Take lots of pix for us to enjoy if you get the ring! Exciting journey.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We took a ton of photos to try to accurately capture the color so we can look at it more at home. We also were able to get a jeweler to bring in this Omi Prive ring I linked earlier - it was breathtaking by itself (the setting helps), but for my SO and me, the color and size both pale in comparison to the round. It's in some photos below.

Indoors:
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG

Outdoors:
IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG

It sounds to me like you are already in love with the round, it is a beautiful color. :kiss2: If you love it (and the price makes sense) then you should go for it. It sounds like this is the one that you keep coming back to. Btw. I think the setting on the round is gorgeous. :love:

bcandy

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow your pad is gorgeous and I love the halo setting too! Thanks for sharing. It’s always helpful to see photos of pads that aren’t super enhanced or magnified (e.g. vendor photos).

Thank you all! Sometimes it takes someone objective to state the obvious :oops: Yes, it is unheated and within budget! On top of that, it’s only the second round we’ve been able to find (the other being the FW). We think it might be “cheaper” than other large pads because of the large inclusion by one of the prongs.

We like the setting too - it has the rose gold basket with claw prongs that I love, but I also really want either a pave shank and/or side stones that aren’t baguette - maybe bullet or half moons, so we’re going custom. Here’s one I like. My concern atm is whether the local jeweler can do claw prongs well since we’re also considering double claws.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow your pad is gorgeous and I love the halo setting too! Thanks for sharing. It’s always helpful to see photos of pads that aren’t super enhanced or magnified (e.g. vendor photos).

Thank you all! Sometimes it takes someone objective to state the obvious :oops: Yes, it is unheated and within budget! On top of that, it’s only the second round we’ve been able to find (the other being the FW). We think it might be “cheaper” than other large pads because of the large inclusion by one of the prongs.

We like the setting too - it has the rose gold basket with claw prongs that I love, but I also really want either a pave shank and/or side stones that aren’t baguette - maybe bullet or half moons, so we’re going custom. Here’s one I like. My concern atm is whether the local jeweler can do claw prongs well since we’re also considering double claws.
Any updates?

bcandy

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Acinom We went with the round! Things have been moving kind of slowly due to real life, but we're in the design phase now. Debating pear vs half-moon vs cluster side stones, and figuring out if we want a simpler basket. I originally wanted some filigree but I'm not sure it really goes with the rest of the ring. Here's the first CADs with half moons. Do let me know your thoughts!

cad1.jpg cad2.jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh! The round one! LOVE!!!!

And lovely setting. I see the diamonds go halfway down the band. Make sure the feeling of your other fingers rubbing on it won't bother you.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's going to be amazing!
do you like how it goes from 1 to 2 dots of melee on the basket? that would bug me (but that's me). i see those "petals" are larger but i'm wondering how it would look with a slightly larger piece of melee instead of the little twin stars.

upload_2018-4-25_20-37-8.png

bcandy

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you @bludiva! That's a great observation -- we got some renderings with the larger melee and I like it more :)

@MrsKMB good callout. My everyday rings don't have pave so I'm going to try on some to make sure it's comfortable.

Wanted to share the latest renderings since you all have been so helpful :) The color of the stone isn't quite right, but here they are with two designs:

Pears flanked by marquises

ava1.jpg ava2.jpg

Half moons
moons1.jpg
moons2.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So exciting it will be lovely I am sure! Very unique engagement ring for sure too. I like the half moons idea.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have a brilliant beautiful stone. The color is amazing. I vote for the half moons as well.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another moon vote over here :) they give a more gradual, rounder transition to the shank. Fewer sharp edges.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the half moons!

bcandy

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi all :) Figured I owe everyone an update so I'm reporting back. After the seeing the wax molds, we actually decided against the half moons and did the pears/marquises with a tiny split shank. Here she is!

Some cell phone attempts to capture the color:

pad1.JPG pad3.JPG pad2.JPG pad4.JPG

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful padparadscha--Look at that color! And a gorgeous ring! I love it! :love: Congratulations.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely splendid! Well done, you!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just read this thread and bonus points for making your decision on the pears vs half moon's...........that ring is gorgeous! Congrats on a one of a kind ring and the engagement that comes with it!!

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty pad!! Can I ask which vendor you bought from? I looked through the previous posts but I'm not sure where its from. Just curious. @Seaglow, your pad and the whole ring is gorgeous too!

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
I adore that profile shot. The basket and the sloping shoulders are truly beautiful.

bcandy

Rough_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake @MakingTheGrade @minousbijoux Thank you for the kind comments! I'm very excited about our engagement, and I can't stop staring at the color at work :)

@digdeep Thank you! It was a tough call for me based off CAD renderings so I'm glad the jeweler was able to do wax molds for both to help us decide.

@Shijitake Thank you :) My local jeweler actually sourced it for me. It was already set in a ring (pictured earlier in the thread) designed by AG Gems. They have some other delicious sapphire and ruby rings: https://aggems.com/rings :kiss2: You could try contacting them to ask about other pads. The jeweler also sourced a number of loose pads for me. When they showed them to me, it was on a little display for a New York wholesaler - http://mjgross.com/ not sure if that's who they actually came from, since the website looks diamond-centric.

@NexivRed Thank you! I love the basket and shoulders too. Something about the basket in the rendering above felt too flat to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results