shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on light performance of these elongated cushions

scintillatinglove

Rough_Rock
I'm in the process of looking for a suitable stone for my engagement ring and while browsing and doing research on types of cuts and shapes of different diamonds, I stumbled across the elongated cushion cut and instantly fell in love. I'm rather new to the diamond world and what I did learn is that there are antique diamonds or "old mine" diamonds which have chunkier facets. Then there are cushion brilliants, cushion modified brilliants and cushion "hybrid" modified brilliants. While my top choice would be a cushion brilliant for light performance purposes, I've been having some trouble locating some in my price range. I want to steer away from the cushion modified cuts, so the best in between I've found would be the cushion hybrid cut.
I believe these two are cushion modified based on the videos, the 4 main facets touching the girdle of the stone. What's your expert opinion on the light performance of these two stones, would you choose one over the other and why?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one does not have very good light return. The second one looks better. These straight up and down videos are harder
to evaluate than ones like the below stone.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@tyty333 that’s a lovely cushion!

@scintillatinglove, are you able to see how much the facets blink in the stone that @tyty333 picked? In the other videos, there’s a lot of disorganized light return. These areas can look mushy in real life. Not a lot of light return. Then when they get dirty (as diamonds are wont to do since they are grease magnets), these areas really dim.

Have you searched Brian Gavin? That’s where I got my lovely 2.17 eye clean G SI1 cushion for $1240. I got online help in choosing one with excellent light return. Hope some of this info helps!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, scintillatinglove!
I found a great looking elongated cushion for you to have a look at... please let us know when you are here and I'll post the link.

Here's a sneak-peek:

Screenshot_20240319-081030-110.png

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can not speak on the quality of any of the stones posted....but I can say that different camera setups make comparing stones from different vendors very tough.
A stone laying on it's pavilion reacts differently than one stood upright held by a vacuum.
In general, longer stones present different considerations than squarish stones

gemnewbi3

Rough_Rock
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but rather using this as an opportunity for both OP and I to learn more about light performance of gems. But I recently purchased the gem below, thinking it had fairly good right return given the lack of a bowtie and fairly uniform brightness across the gem. But it doesn't have nearly as much of the sharp blinking of the facets that the James Allen stone does. Should I keep searching for a better gem?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm in the process of looking for a suitable stone for my engagement ring and while browsing and doing research on types of cuts and shapes of different diamonds, I stumbled across the elongated cushion cut and instantly fell in love. I'm rather new to the diamond world and what I did learn is that there are antique diamonds or "old mine" diamonds which have chunkier facets. Then there are cushion brilliants, cushion modified brilliants and cushion "hybrid" modified brilliants. While my top choice would be a cushion brilliant for light performance purposes, I've been having some trouble locating some in my price range. I want to steer away from the cushion modified cuts, so the best in between I've found would be the cushion hybrid cut.
I believe these two are cushion modified based on the videos, the 4 main facets touching the girdle of the stone. What's your expert opinion on the light performance of these two stones, would you choose one over the other and why?

I suggest you consider Radiants as an option. They sometimes work better as elongated stones like cushions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results