shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on JA Round Brilliant Crown Angle

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
I am really torn on whether I should keep the cushion stone I purchased from JA which appraised well, no real issues, faces up great, great brilliance, or just go with a round stone :wall: so I am hunting for a round stone with amazing brilliance that will go into a halo setting. Is the crown angle of this stone going to kill this one? http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.09-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-723998.. I asked for an ASET but on this particular stone, it is not an option.

DEPTH %: 61.60
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 57.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 36.00
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 40.60
PAVILION %: 42.50

(Cushion stone I already have in hand if interested: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.03-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-659699)

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well it's not a reason to write it off, it's nice to be paired with a 40.6 pavilion rather than a steeper angle. Lots of great stones will have 36 crown, it's just outside the usual recommended 34-35 usual recommended crown and would be especially safer to get stones within that range if idealscope/ASET images are not available.

The HCA is still 1.8!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a bit confused. . . if you like the cushion stone, why are you considering a round? Do you think you would like it better?

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1446160975|3943646 said:
I'm a bit confused. . . if you like the cushion stone, why are you considering a round? Do you think you would like it better?

I am concerned that a cushion is not as classic as a round stone, I want the biggest stone possible :Up_to_something: and the cushion obviously will face up smaller, and I am just generally not positive about a cushion over a round. I am also in love with a setting that looks amazing with a round stone and I'm not entirely sure how it will look with a cushion :bigsmile:

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
gm89uk|1446160606|3943643 said:
Well it's not a reason to write it off, it's nice to be paired with a 40.6 pavilion rather than a steeper angle. Lots of great stones will have 36 crown, it's just outside the usual recommended 34-35 usual recommended crown and would be especially safer to get stones within that range if idealscope/ASET images are not available.

The HCA is still 1.8!

Thank you! I am also looking at this stone but it's just not 'speaking' to me like the other I have on hold... which seems crazy because it's pretty close to perfect, based on the numbers. Thoughts on this one? http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.04-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-728238

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they will not provide an ASET on the one with the 36 crown angle, then I would skip it. Plenty with those angles will have leakage. It only gets very good on light return and scintillation on the HCA and I'd want excellent on both of those. The second stone is a much better choice if no images are available. I also think excellent cut rounds are better in J color than a modern cushion as I think you will see less color face up.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vizsla Girl|1446165620|3943659 said:
MissGotRocks|1446160975|3943646 said:

I am concerned that a cushion is not as classic as a round stone, I want the biggest stone possible :Up_to_something: and the cushion obviously will face up smaller, and I am just generally not positive about a cushion over a round. I am also in love with a setting that looks amazing with a round stone and I'm not entirely sure how it will look with a cushion :bigsmile:

OK - this makes perfect sense! I was afraid there was something wrong with the first stone so not sure if you needed to find a new cushion stone or truly pursue a round. For the size and sparkle, round stones are my choice but not always the favorite of everyone.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I always advise customers who are unsure about shape to stick with the classic round brilliant. If you are certain that another shape rocks your world, by all means go for it. There are several good reasons to stick with round. Preferably a very well cut one.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1446219591|3943828 said:
I always advise customers who are unsure about shape to stick with the classic round brilliant. If you are certain that another shape rocks your world, by all means go for it. There are several good reasons to stick with round. Preferably a very well cut one.

Thank you! I am returning the cushion and purchased this round stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.24-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-723854 The cushion I purchased was honestly very beautiful but I don't think it was THE one for me :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations - should be a nice, bright stone! Can't wait to see hand shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results