shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on diamond please

glsundance

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I have been lurking in the forums for about a month or two. I have picked up some pointers. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this diamond. I purchased this James Allen "True Hearts" diamond for just under $7200. The diamond looks amazing in person; it is definitely one of the most symmetrical diamonds I have ever seen, and it puts out a blinding amount of fire in the sunlight. I am very happy with the stone itself, but was just curious what everyone thinks. I personally think I paid a fair price (no steal by any means, but no highway robbery either). Thanks!

Diamond.JPG

glsundance

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm not sure how well that picture of the AGS certificate came out, but here are the specs:

1.030 ct,I Color, VS2 Round Hearts & Arrows Ideal
AGS Ideal Cut (Ideal Light Performance, Ideal Polish, Ideal Symmetry)

Depth=61.0%
Table=55.1%
Girdle = Thin to Medium
Cutlet = None
Fluorescence = Negligible
Measurements = 6.52 * 6.55 * 3.99
Crown Angle = 34.2
Crown % = 15.10
Pavilion Angle = 40.9
Pavilion % = 43.10

HCA = 1.2

There is a single feather inclusion. I do plan to insure it (looking towards Jewelers Mutual)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An AGS 0 is going to be a great stone! Nice choice! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Do you have a setting in mind?

glsundance

Rough_Rock
The setting I am going to go with is the Vatche X-Prong #100 in Palladium.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds beautiful! Vatche makes a high quality setting! Come back with pictures of the finished ring and good luck with your proposal!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sounds lovely :) please post pics of the finished ring once you get it!

glsundance

Rough_Rock
Also, I have added the link to the IS and the Hearts view. The hearts look a tad bit asymmetrical around the center. I don't know if this would disqualify it in other vendor's eyes or not as far as H&A goes; although, excepting some major light performance hit, I'm not THAT big of a stickler. From what I have learned about IdealScope, it seems good?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1383450.asp

Thanks everyone who has responded!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
You got yourself a beautiful diamond! Nice job, I can't wait to see pics of the stone set! :appl: :love: You did a great job, and are going to have a very happy lady! She's a lucky girl! Congrats!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
From PS experience, anyone out for a good deal usually walks away with a horror story and is in need of some cheerleading.

Not in this case. Everything looks wonderful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks like a nice one :))

my guess is hearts pic asymmetries due to photography (diamond not perfectly perpendicular to scope). You can request a hearts photo retake if you are concerned. IS is fine.

glsundance

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. I have to admit, I'm looking for a bit of cheerleading ( or at least confirmation). The process is a bit unnerving as evidenced by all of the nervous men doing exactly what I am doing now :-o And then there's the constant "doubt" afterwards. I find myself still searching to make sure I don't stumble across a D IF H&A for $5000, lol :lol:

I appreciate your replies. You guys & this forum should be paid -- you're keeping a lot of people honest.

For the most part, most of my thread searches here were always positive experiences by people. I have just started to notice a few "near-by" threads that seem to be horror stories. My only small heart attack,so far, has come from waiting on USPS registered mail (I am purchasing the setting from another PS reputable vendor), but I'm not finished yet :rolleyes:

In my own defense :saint: , I never was looking for a "deal". I was just looking not to get suckered at a retail/mall/chain store, and I just wanted a nice diamond. I had a friend freak out about me wiring money to JA; but I was never worried. These guys are in the business of making money and being fair -- if they were crooks, they'd never last. I'm glad a forum like PS is around to allow them to really compete (and they should be glad too, as a larger customer base should allow them to be more competitive :geek: ). Honestly, I would have went with any of the vendors(WF, Excel, GoG, JA, BGD), and ultimately I went with 2 separate dealers between the rock and the setting. I'm just buying what I want :tongue: , and the diamond shopping, to me, seemed more just a matter of timing/budget/luck/convenience.

I hope all goes better for those people currently panicking in other threads, but I don't have to worry -- if my outside appraiser doesn't like the JA diamond, I'll just send it back :Up_to_something: (which I doubt will happen). (I don't want to be too positive and jinx myself though :errrr: )

Again, my most sincere thanks to everyone. There are a lot of unnamed gemologists/vendors/hobbyists/enthusiasts, etc. that have given nothing but excellent advice and knowledge throughout this forum and their websites.

glsundance

Rough_Rock
Ok, so the process is over. I don't know how you guys actually enjoy going through it, lol....

I definitely want to give a nod to Barry from ExcelDiamonds. He set the diamond I purchased. Customer service was TOP NOTCH!!! He even called me the night it was set, got my info for insurance, mailed it; and it was there the next day in my hand before 9:00am (I live in OH). Barry was a pleasure to speak/communicate with during the process, and he went above and beyond.

On to the ring :naughty: -- Absolute perfection as far as craftsmanship goes. The prongs are perfectly symmetrical and the diamond looks great. The tapering of width on the x-prong is perfect. I really can't see a thing wrong with it.

Lastly, I got the whole thing independently appraised by Pam Chester in NE Ohio (https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/pamela_chester). She was wonderful to deal with. She invited me over to her home (her home was significantly closer than her office), and both her and her 2 labradors were wonderful :appl: . It was good to hear someone so knowledgeable assess what my amateur eyes had picked out ;))

Finally, I got the ring insured by Jewelers Mutual -- no problems there at all.

I'm glad it's over :(sad

NOW...I'd love to have a small 2mm shared prong wedding band...BUT I'd love it better if it was in Palladium!!!

I was thinking about this for a wedding band....anyone know where I can find a similiar one in palladium?

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=3663

This was the picture provided from Pam. For the life of me, I cannot get my camera to focus on it....

glsundance.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results