shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Blue Sapphire

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm back with another opinion request. Previously I had asked for opinions on a paraiba for an engagement ring, but am convinced a harder stone would be better. So here we go.

This sapphire seems like a pretty good stone, especially for the price, but I figure I'm missing something. She prefers an emerald cut, but I can't really find one over 2 ct n my price rance (about $4,000).

Thanks all in advance!

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...eated-ceylon-blue-sapphire-2-dot-64-cts;14747

Video:

Helicoptergem

Rough_Rock
Trade
Looks to be well cut great color

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks great! Their price is very reasonable.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ditto what qubitasaurus said. I'd definitely email Jeff about his emerald cut blue sapphire. Otherwise, I'd see the Gemrite one.

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
Wow, I had the toughest time finding this post again. For some reason, I'm not getting alerts in my email when a reply is posted. So sorry if this was a repost :doh:

So Jeff White's sapphire is definitely the emerald cut I've been looking for, but I'm wondering what you think of the color? Seems a little light, however, I have noticed that it seems emerald cut sapphires tend to come out real dark looking, so maybe this is the right color for the cut. I'm not sure if it's the emerald cut that makes them seem darker or just that stone.

Taking cut out of the equation, which of the two stones is probably the better deal? I realize that is slightly a wrong approach here, but I'm having trouble justify going to $5k+ for a stone that might have worse coloring. I also have to consider the cost of getting it set.

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
One more question, if I do buy one of these, what do you recommend I do for having it inspected during my return period. I don't really know what to look for when I see it in person, so do you just take it to a local jeweler to get their opinion? Is there generally a fee? I'm in Chicago, so if you know of any trusted/recommended places to have it inspected.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think the Gemrite stone will turn out to be very grey. It looks like it was photographed outside under a clear blue sky and that most of the color you are seeing is just the reflection of the sky. The Jeff White stone comes with a lab report so really all you would need to do is decide if you like it in person.

eta: sorry all I had seen was the video not the still photos, but now I am wondering why it performs so differently in video than in still photos. Since they both come with lab reports, albeit one with a more recognized name than the other, it seems you are at the point now where you really need to see them in person to be able to know which you like better. I have stones from both vendors and am happy with them.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Jeff White emerald cut is very pleasing and pretty. Super deep though.

S

SparkliesLuver

My best advice at this point is to see them in-person and go from there. There's really no substitute for that step, unfortunately. Side note: Don't discount a stone that might appear too light in a vendor photo because they're usually a bit darker in-person. Not all the time, but sometimes. Then when you set the stone it gets a bit darker too, some settings more so than others.

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! Greatly appreciated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results