shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Antique Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sknight

Rough_Rock
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/antique-detail.cfm?id=T001R162D

I couldn''t download the pic. for some reason.

I am seriously considering purchasing this antique setting from dirtcheap. I think i might purchase it in Platinum, looks like a very fair price. I purchased an 1.43 I/VS1 round diamond ideal cut. Though i have a few questions on this specific ring.

1. First, what do you think of the ring?
2. I don''t quite want something that is real narrow, do you think this ring is on the narrow side? Though with the wedding band, i think it''ll look vey nice.
3. What ring would work better with an I color, plat. or white gold?
4. My local jeweler stated that i am just trying to put something together quickly. As a $7,000 diamond does not go with a $1,000 mounting. I am in a bit of a time crunch, but this ring does not look cheap to me, at least off the internet. What do you think of this jeweler, is he trying to disuade me from buying online?
5. Will the engraving wear off over time with white gold as opposed to Plat.?
6. How do you think the ring will look with that size diamond?
7. Can anyone suggest another etailer with a ring similar to this, Cathedral, Engraving, diamonds down the side?

I am stressed, less than 3 weeks to go and i have no ring. HELP!!!

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/antique-detail.cfm?id=T001R162D

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
here is the picture from DCD

T001R162D.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
1. I like my engraving a bit finer, but I think many women will really like the ring.

2. How many millimeters is it? Also, how long are her fingers? I don't think it's too narrow, and with the matching wedding ring it's going to be quite substantial, but I can't really tell from the picture.

3. I think you probably wouldn't notice a difference. If you can afford the platinum, go with that.

4. Huh? Since when is a $1K ring considered cheap?

5. If the ring is cared for probably, no. It will probably hold up very well. My sister has a vintage white gold ring from the 20s or 30s with engraving that looks nearly as sharp as the day it was made.

6. I think it will be lovely.

7. There are soooo many. It's not an uncommon look. Here's just one site: http://www.faycullen.com/mountings.php

I'd also suggest that, especially if you're stressed, a good alternative would be get the stone mounted in a cheap, throwaway setting. After the proposal, you and your fiancee can then shop for the setting of her dreams together.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I also would like the engraving finer, other than that it's very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results