shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Alexandrite

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Its me again. Clearly I'm on a hunt for an Alexandrite. Seems like I'm getting close.
A local vendor from Toronto is helping me to look for it (Thank you David -if you are reading this).

My wish list:
1. Green to Red (I know this is a myth, but as close as possible)
2. around 1 ct (cannot really afford more than this)
3. I can see the stone in person and not an online purchase
4. I dont wish to upgrade in the future.

There are 3 stones I will hope to see by end of next week in person.
All 3 are very different in size and colour. But its important to me to see it in person, rather than an online page (although another David from MC was quick to respond), I just can't pull the trigger on a large purchase that I cannot see in person.

At this moment none of these have the certification/GIA etc, but can be arranged.
The colour description is my own, and not from an apprasier/lab:

OPTION 1: 1.56 ct slight blue Green to Purple (similar price to Option 2)
OPTION 2: 1.06 ct slight yellow Green to Reddish browm (similar price to Option 1)
OPTION 3: 0.89 ct slight blue Green to slight brownish Red ( almost double more than the 2 above)

I am torn on which option to pick.
Option 1, is a good value for size and good colour change, but I'm hoping for a redder colour change. and i know photos are super tiny. So its hard to tell

Option 2, I really need to see this in person. I'm worried the green is more yellow and similar to the one that I got "conned in" (which by the way I still haven't seen my refund, but still waiting for it).

Option 3 is my dream colour (but on the smaller side, and I get because its more red, the price is higher- exceeds my budget, but I'm willing to make try to squeeze it to make it work- maybe no setting for a little bit, and wait to recoup funds).

Any thoughts? base on photos( I dont own these photos- just using them for reference- If seller is here and wants me to remove them, please let me know).

I know the photo aren't the best, but just wondering what some of your thoughts are.

OPTION 1:
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-14 at 3.04.45 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-08-14 at 3.04.45 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-08-14 at 3.05.47 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-08-14 at 3.05.23 PM.jpeg

OPTION 2( Shots from video sent):
option 2-1.png option 2-2.png

Option 3 (most shots from video):
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-14 at 3.12.49 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-08-14 at 3.12.49 PM.jpeg option 3-1.png option 3-2.png option 3-22.png

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I can't tell much about the color of #1 from the first picture. Stone #2 is a no for me because of the colors. It looks to have low saturation, with those yellow tints being an indicator of Sri Lanka, from what I understand. If your spending money on an alex, it should say "I'm an alex" not "I kinda look like other stones, but I'm an alex." The third one is pretty brown, but is it what you prefer? I'm wondering what it really looks like without that bright light shining on it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
size aside, you will pay more, much more, for both the % strength of the colour change and the ”intensity” of the colours.
My advice would be to buy the one whose “daylight” colour you love the most. This is what you will most often see.
The reality is that incandescent light sources are fewer and farather between these days. Most lights (Office, restaurant, shopping mall etc) are LED and these lights don’t produce the incandescent colour.
You also need to see the gems in ordinary intensity light as well. Studio shots are all well and good but it’s what your eyes will be seeing most often that should Influence your decision.
I personally like no 1 even though it’s change is weaker and can see why no 3 is the most expensive. I don’t like the yellow tone in no 2.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @MrsKMB
I agree. An Alex should look like an Alex. I'll see if I can take more photos in person when I see them. Or atleast check out the colour.

So far the 3rd one's redness is the most read I've seen. A side from a few on MC site. But either are too small, moderate inclusions.

Most go to a purplish colour.

Unless it's the $$$$$ that have an intense colour and very strong colour change. But out of my price point, unless its tiny. And I have a tiny one.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Bron357 I agree. Thats why I want to see and purchase them locally and not online. Got burned once already with that. And other photos look too studio/photoshopped or perfect lighting. I need to see them in reality!

So far #2 isnt getting much love haha

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BTW, be patient. It'll come to you!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Maybe an OPTION 4: lol @Skyjems why are you complicating my life. lol

Not showing the green well in these
Also screen capped from a video...
But the change is vivid. In Mixed light it's pretty. But dont see much green.
Stone a bit more oval. Price would be higher than Opt 1 and Opt 2. And less than Op 3

Screenshot_20200814-190314_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200814-190250_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200814-184733_WhatsApp.jpg

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Maybe an OPTION 4: lol @Skyjems why are you complicating my life. lol

Not showing the green well in these
Also screen capped from a video...
But the change is vivid. In Mixed light it's pretty. But dont see much green.
Stone a bit more oval. Price would be higher than Opt 1 and Opt 2. And less than Op 3

Screenshot_20200814-190314_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200814-190250_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200814-184733_WhatsApp.jpg

OPT 4 is a 1.59ct with a GIA report.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you considered asking Yvonne if she can get one? Just a thought.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered asking Yvonne if she can get one? Just a thought.

Thanks for the recommendation, is Yvonne in Toronto?

To be honest, I think the few that I have lined up to see should be good. haha too many decisions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like stone 2 or 3 at all. Stones 1 and 4 are "ok", but neither are something I would buy (to be honest).

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I don't like stone 2 or 3 at all. Stones 1 and 4 are "ok", but neither are something I would buy (to be honest).

@lovedog thanks. what is it about them that you dont like? Can you let me know? So I can learn how to view them too? Is it something in particular about them?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedog thanks. what is it about them that you dont like? Can you let me know? So I can learn how to view them too? Is it something in particular about them?

Stone 1 has an unappealing color in mixed light, is visibly included, and is windowed (although of the options it is one of my favorites)
Stone 2 I don't like either color and it has a giant window
Stone 3 also has fairly unappealing colors (the green looks greyish and the "Red" looks brown)
Stone 4 is ok, but the color in outdoor light looks pretty muddy.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your comments @lovedogs I appreciate it and will look out for these in person when I'm looking at the stones in person.

Do you have an Alex? If so what colouring did you end up with?
And was it purchased online? Sorry for the 21 questions, it's such a "rare" stone I find not many places carry it. So mainly I've been researching through PSers and old post as well as all the sites that have been recommended. The choices when present seemingly are so limited. Especially when I'm looking for more green to red. Rather than blue to purple.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your comments @lovedogs I appreciate it and will look out for these in person when I'm looking at the stones in person.

Do you have an Alex? If so what colouring did you end up with?
And was it purchased online? Sorry for the 21 questions, it's such a "rare" stone I find not many places carry it. So mainly I've been researching through PSers and old post as well as all the sites that have been recommended. The choices when present seemingly are so limited. Especially when I'm looking for more green to red. Rather than blue to purple.

I don't own one. I honestly think if I wanted one I would end up with either a lab grown one or a color change garnet. I just don't see many (or any) real alex stones that I would ever be able to reasonably afford

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't own one. I honestly think if I wanted one I would end up with either a lab grown one or a color change garnet. I just don't see many (or any) real alex stones that I would ever be able to reasonably afford

EDIT to add that it's not necessarily that I can't afford a "Real" one, but that I can't afford a real one with nice color change and the colors/size/clarity I would want.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
lol I hear u. I did look at the CC garnets too. But read on someone's post that they tend to be darker and harder to see the colours. The price is a fraction of the cost of the Alex. I was tempted. But having a real Alex is my dream. I do have a small tiny one (that may or may not be real- hope it is- was my push present from husband so its sentimental). Now having found this site, I realized we over paid and likely could have bought a larger stone had I known where to look!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
EDIT to add that it's not necessarily that I can't afford a "Real" one, but that I can't afford a real one with nice color change and the colors/size/clarity I would want.

yes. same dilemma that I'm in. So just gonna try to buy the best that I can afford.

Would you trade size for stronger colour change?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes. same dilemma that I'm in. So just gonna try to buy the best that I can afford.

Would you trade size for stronger colour change?

In this case, yes, since that seems like the point of alex. I would probably end up with a .5 or .75ct stone in order to get the color change I wanted.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the info! As I've said before appreciate it.

it likely will be the only Alex I'll purchase. So want to love it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This. In my case, for 3, it's a case of not liking the colorways as much, but that is a matter of personal taste. The colorways of 1 and 4 are much more sought after. They look like they could be Brazilian.

Two other factors not mentioned are strength/level of color change and level of inclusions. Do you know how the stones stand with respect to these aspects?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the incandescent colour will be more to the purple than to the red in “real life”.
the photos here are of my Alex bracelet. The “studio shot” is apparently under the specified wave length for incandescent BUT the colour I get at home in the bathroom (only incandescent light source in the house) it is definitely more purple than red.
08389C3A-1161-4F5E-9BF8-CBB3D1351738.jpeg 04FFF082-A3EA-4EBD-8639-F523AB5963BB.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like option 4 best. 1 and 3 are ok, and I prefer 3 over 1.

I know it's been said that some stones look muddy. But I just want to point out that green stones such as emeralds and alexandrites are difficult to photograph, and so I'd say trust your eyes more so than the photos. Being able to look at the stones in person is definitely a plus. Although I've purchased many stones from Yvonne and would recommend her shop generally, for your circumstances I advise against it. Reasons being:

1. It's expensive and slow for gems to go through Canadian customs.
2. Alexandrites are best judged in person.
3. Etsy fees are high, and the seller would be disadvantaged, if you purchase an expensive gem just to return.

It seems you are in good hands with Skyjems. Even if you were to change your mind, the logistics are such that it is much easier to return an item to a Canadian than to US vendors.

Please please trust your own eyes more if the photographs don't do justice to the stones.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
This. In my case, for 3, it's a case of not liking the colorways as much, but that is a matter of personal taste. The colorways of 1 and 4 are much more sought after. They look like they could be Brazilian.

Two other factors not mentioned are strength/level of color change and level of inclusions. Do you know how the stones stand with respect to these aspects?

Thank you @minousbijoux for your reply. Unfortunately I dont know about the inclusions or and colour change level. I hope when I see it they will be able to let me know about that. I have a loop that I will bring with me. I think you are right 1 and 4 seem more Brazillian in colouring.

Might bring some flashlights and such too.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Actually to the group:
What should I bring other than a loop and flash light to see the stones?

I dont have have a UV light.

Suggestions?

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I like option 4 best. 1 and 3 are ok, and I prefer 3 over 1.

I know it's been said that some stones look muddy. But I just want to point out that green stones such as emeralds and alexandrites are difficult to photograph, and so I'd say trust your eyes more so than the photos. Being able to look at the stones in person is definitely a plus. Although I've purchased many stones from Yvonne and would recommend her shop generally, for your circumstances I advise against it. Reasons being:

1. It's expensive and slow for gems to go through Canadian customs.
2. Alexandrites are best judged in person.
3. Etsy fees are high, and the seller would be disadvantaged, if you purchase an expensive gem just to return.

It seems you are in good hands with Skyjems. Even if you were to change your mind, the logistics are such that it is much easier to return an item to a Canadian than to US vendors.

Please please trust your own eyes more if the photographs don't do justice to the stones.

Thanks @voce

I agree with your suggestions!
And appreciate the guidance!

I am learning that buying stones and rings from the USA is a bit of a pain for returns and expensive for custom/duties and brokerage. But is all a relative learning curve.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I think the incandescent colour will be more to the purple than to the red in “real life”.
the photos here are of my Alex bracelet. The “studio shot” is apparently under the specified wave length for incandescent BUT the colour I get at home in the bathroom (only incandescent light source in the house) it is definitely more purple than red.
08389C3A-1161-4F5E-9BF8-CBB3D1351738.jpeg 04FFF082-A3EA-4EBD-8639-F523AB5963BB.jpeg

@Bron357 Thank you for the photos. Your bracelet is to die for! I'm not sure if I have replied or commented about it before, you've so lucky to have her. But yes, actually I keep your photos and bracelet in mind when I see the stones online and the photos. I do remember you commenting on various post that the red in the sellers photos cannot be replicated with your lighting. And the photos you posted here and on other post are so helpful for me to see the range in red-purple to curb my expectations. :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUT the colour I get at home in the bathroom (only incandescent light source in the house) it is definitely more purple than red.

I agree with this and the post further up from @Bron357.

Mine (tiny) has a spectacular 100% color change and Gubelin report to back it up. It's just not that pretty. Cool, yes, but not that pretty in daylight or mixed lighting. If I were doing it again, I would probably focus more on how it looked in daylight and less on how amazing and complete the color change is. I know this runs counter to a lot of alex advice, but you're not buying a mineral specimen -- you're (presumably) buying something for jewelry that makes you smile when you look at it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine has a 100% color change, but I am lucky in that both colorways are my ideal. @Cina_s: I didn't say this before, but of all the alex I've seen, I've never seen one that is red red in incandescent light. There are ones that are on the reddish purple side (mine), and plenty of the brownish red (which change to olive green in daylight), but I've yet to see a stone like the Russian stones of gem lore. I have noticed that the stronger the color change and colorways, the more clear the color change phenomenon becomes in mixed lighting (where it will be most of the time).

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @LilAlex This was informative. and a great way to set my expectations. Maybe good on paper isnt that nice in person. And interesting to know you would have gone the other way!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results