shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on .84ct F VS2 diamond

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.
First let me say that this forum has been an invaluable source of information during my diamond search.

To keep this short and sweet, I was wondering if any of the knowledgeable people here have an opinion on the following stone which I have on hold:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2238041

The crown and pavilion angles seem good, but it's bit deep at 62.2%.
Unfortunately JA is unable to provide optical performance imagery or a gemologist analysis as the stone is not in the New York area.
Am I crazy for even considering something without an Idealscope image?
The price seems good but I have no further information other than the GIA report to go on so any input or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks to be a lovely stone. The numbers on the stone are pretty nice! I* would have no problem buying it without images.
Ask about the cloud just in case.

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your opinion tyty333!
After months of searching looks like this could be the winner then. :D

I think I understand what you mean about the cloud - as it is the grade-determining inclusion type for the VS2 grade, I need to be sure that it is not so widespread as to cause issues with the light performance of the stone. Does that sound right?

Hopefully JA can take a look after they get it in for setting and let me know before they set it just in case.
I'll see what they can do.

Thanks very much!

Tiber55

Rough_Rock
For stones not in the New York area JA should be able to take imagery after you buy it but before they set it.

I had two stones called in from India and they gave me imagery before they shipped them to me.

Just ask them to take all the pictures you are looking for before they move forward with the setting.

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much to Tiber55 also for the advice!

I’d like to give an update on this thread in the hopes that it may be helpful to others as so many of the threads on the forum have been helpful to me over the past months.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger with James Allen and had them order the diamond.
Before I go forward with the rest of the update let me say that working with James Allen was incredibly fast and easy and I was impressed by the level of service I received.
They really went above and beyond in helping me set up my purchase from them and I would not hesitate for a moment in recommending James Allen to anyone who wanted to buy a diamond online as long as they understood the intricacies of buying blind.
So understand that any comments I make are in the context of being a customer that has done a lot of research (mostly on PriceScope) and therefore asks a lot of questions; I think we are probably only a small percentage of the types of customers that JA gets.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I asked JA about the cloud clarity characteristic and if I should be concerned.
The answer from both the Customer Service representative and the Diamond Expert (who performs the screen-share inspection) was that the stone was “beautiful” and “will have a wonderful light and brilliance performance” with “perfect angles and proportions” and “it really doesn’t get any better than this.”
Regarding the inclusion, they both said that it was eye-clean, “the inclusion would not affect its brilliance or fire.” The Diamond Expert went so far as to say that “clouds in a VS2 are never cause for concern.”
Again, let me reiterate that I honestly felt that all of these comments were completely sincere and not an attempt to “sell” me on something.

I was told that once the diamond arrives at the JA facility, a gemologist will inspect it to make sure it is the correct stone.
The representative said I would be contacted if “something is not right with the diamond.”
I once again reiterated that I would like to be sure that the cloud would not affect the light performance of the stone.

I attempted to request an Idealscope image after the diamond arrives at JA, but I was told that generally such reports are not sent and I would be contacted if the gemologist found anything of concern.
I understand this in a way because if they took Idealscope images of every diamond they shipped they would probably go out of business!

There seems to be a general consensus that the diamond I have chosen is well-cut and should be a good performer.
So I guess my question is this: should I insist on seeing an Idealscope image with a confirmation regarding the cloud inclusions from the gemologist before the stone is mounted in the setting, or should I just sit back and wait for delivery?
I honestly do believe that JA has done everything in their power to make me happy and I don’t want to be unreasonable, so I guess I am looking for a gut-check on how I should proceed.

Any insight as always would be immensely appreciated.

For reference, here is the diamond again:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2238041

And this is the setting I chose:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-six-prong-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50011
(I asked for a modification for the setting to have the prongs rotated to the 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o’clock positions and they not only agreed to make the modification, but they are not charging me for it and I got the setting with 25% off during the sale! As I said, I am happy with the service)

Thanks so much!

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Just another very brief update (again, I'm doing this for those who might benefit from this real-world example):

I contacted a James Allen rep again over chat and once again requested the IdealScope image before the stone is set just to be sure (and because I actually think it will be fun to have that image to help remember this whole process!)

They agreed to provide the image with the only caveat being that the additional inspection would add up to 5 business days to the completion time of the order, which I feel is completely reasonable.
As it still puts me well within the timeframe for my proposal I asked them to go ahead and do it.
I've been told that I will receive and e-mail from the gemologist once the additional inspection has taken place.

Once again James Allen has reconfirmed their reputation and I appreciate them dealing with the requests I have made.
I can only imagine what it must be like to work in customer service in an industry where each customer is making one of the most important purchases of their lives! ;-)

I will update the thread once I get the Idealscope images.
Thanks!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember they refused any IS image request around this time last year.
It is great to see they are offering the service this year.

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Wow flyingpig, that's amazing to know; now that you mention it I guess that makes sense since this is the busiest time of the year for them (I assume).
I'm glad I went forward with the request and I appreciate that they accepted it given the circumstances.
I was so wrapped up in the process of putting the diamond on hold and then finalizing the order that I forgot to ask about any sort of PS or "preferred customer" discount... Doh!
But honestly JA has been so nice to work with I am fine with that.

Will update with IS images when I get them!

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Sorry to keep replying to my own thread but this is therapeutic in a way... :loopy:

While I wait for the IS images to come in I definitely have the jitters.
I can't help but worry about the cloud inclusion(s) and what if any effect they will have on the light performance...
Also of course hoping that the IS images show that things look good.

As a guy who will (hopefully) only do this once in his life it's pretty nerve wracking!!
Fingers crossed that the images and gemologist's report can help talk me down off the ledge :pray:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just to note that a perfect idealscope image does not mean the cloud characteristics are not there. A cloudy diamond can still have a brilliant idealscope.

The idealscope is definitely useful, but the main assessment of clouds would be from the gemologist. As they have a free refund policy, it is in their best interests to give you a genuine assessment of the cloud characteristic, otherwise they would waste money on a refund.

A persons definition of crisp differs and it may be worthwhile explicitly asking what it is you are expecting. To the naked eye, is the crispness of this diamond as good as a higher clarity diamond without cloud inclusions?

All the best.

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
gm89uk, thanks very much for the input!

You are exactly correct. I should have been more clear; I'll be looking at the Idealscope images (hopefully with the help of the amazing members of this forum!) to make sure that the light performance as is expected, and I will make sure to find out what the gemologist thinks of the cloud inclusions. I keep hearing that there is "no need to worry with a VS2" but the thread I posted above makes me scared :-o

I'll let the gemologist know that essentially I am asking if the cloud inclusions are such that they affect the brilliance and "life" of the diamond or are the localized such that the overall performance is not negatively affected.
Everyone agrees that the stone is eye-clean so I think it comes down to whether or not the inclusions will disperse the light that reflects inside of the diamond, making it noticeably cloudy or milky upon inspection.

Fingers crossed!! :pray:

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
IdealScope image is in!
I would very much appreciate any feedback the forum has on it.
From my limited experience looking at comparable images on other threads, the light performance seems to be good, but a second (and third!) opinion is always helpful.

Here are the notes I received regarding JA's in-house gemologist's report:

"I’m happy to say that the gemologist found your diamond to offer great fire, brilliance, and scintillation. As expected, the diamond is icy white in color, and its cloud has no impact on the appearance or light performance of the diamond. They specified that the cloud is in the crown."

Based on these comments, I'm going to trust JA's assessment that the grade-setting cloud inclusion will not affect the overall clarity and "crispness" of the diamond. My understanding is that, if the cloud is concentrated beneath the crown facets, it should not overly impact the light performance of the diamond (especially in a VS2).

I have 24 hours to reply and if everything looks good this one will be the "forever" stone! :dance:

Thanks very much in advance to everyone for honest feedback!

2238041id.jpg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks very nice :)

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the feedback, gm89uk!

In your opinion, should I be concerned about the one lighter-colored arrow and the lighter pink areas under the table, or does this look acceptable for good light performance?
(It's not a super ideal-cut branded diamond but I'm aiming for a level just below that - a "normal" ideal cut, if you will)

It's so easy to second-guess oneself so I just want to be sure!
I'm learning so much here so forgive my incessant questions. :razz:

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Time limit was about to run out so I went ahead and told them to move forward with the ring.
I'll post pictures when I get it! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results