shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 4.02ct RB H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

idealprincess

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi, after my initial post and more PSing I am interested in a stone but need your expert opinions
9.gif

It’s EGL USA, so from what I’ve read on PS, it probably won’t grade as well. The vendor states it is a true H and the inclusions are small and scattered. But if actually grades an I2 but GIA/AGS standard, could the cut on this stone actually mask the inclusions? Is this stone worth considering?
33.gif

Round Brilliant
Carat: 4.02
Dimensions: 10.30 x 10.25 x 6.22
Color: H
Clarity: I1
Cut: Ideal Plus H&A
Depth%: 60.50
Table%: 57
Crown: 14.1
Pavillion: 42.9
Polish: EX
Symm: VG
Girdle: M-SLTK
Culet: N
Floresc: N
Thank you for helping!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
EGL USA I1, the vendor (emphasis added) reassures you about the inclusions, um well, that might or might not be good advice. The only thing I know about that is that vendors are supposed to have a written definition of "eye-clean" and to follow it. I, personally, would not even consider an I1 or any stone not graded by AGS or GIA. But that's just me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Princess,

Does the vendor have hearts and arrows images to substantiate calling this a h&a diamond? I don't know what criteria EGL use to decide which diamonds get the h&a title or not, so images would be useful. You will need to be very careful in a diamond of this huge size at I1 clarity, have you seen it to see if it is eyeclean? Here is a tip for you. If you have only viewed it in the store lights, see if you can take it outside and view it in different lights as inclusions can jump out in some lights and be apparent and not in others.

If I was after a big diamond on a budget I would consider this one maybe if I could see it for myself and was covered with a good return policy and time to get a thorough appraisal, is it with an online seller? If so make very sure there is a return policy in case the diamond isn't eyeclean, and ask if they can supply an Idealscope image for this diamond.

This explains about Idealscope - https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

It would appear it is a nicely cut diamond, what I would do is make the sale final ( and get it in writing) that it checks out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal.

Here is a tool you can use to find one in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto everything Lorelei said, with emphasis on having an independant appraiser look at it, and scrutenize the diamond in as many lighting situations as possible, to make sure you can''t see inclusions, or if you can, that they do not bother you.

And come back with pics if you get it!
9.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I would have it appraised before going forward, but my stone is also an EGL H&A, so I can vouch that there are some nice ones out there. Good luck!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ideal,

Well, the difference between EGL vs GIA and AGS, are just the way they grade the stones, at the end diamonds are diamonds, does not matter who grade them.

But and I1, will have visible inluctions, it does not matter if is a GIA stone or an EGL stone. If you are looking in a 4 cts round brilliant, that will be huge, I will recommend better clarity, unless you are ok having a stone with visible inclusions.

idealprincess

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m still a bit hesitant as it would be nice to have images, I see many online vendors with all the bells and whistles of certs, IS images, HA, phots etc etc. The only info I have on this stone is what I posted above. And even that is a pre-cert, is that the same as a the actual cert?

The vendor states he can ship it to an appraiser for me to view in person. I would only need to wire funds if I am satisfied with the stone, otherwise I would only be responsible for the shipping ( approx US$200) if I decide not to buy it. Seems someone else has a client also interested in the stone?

Should I persue this stone or does this sound sketchy? Thanks for all your great advice and opinions.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 12:45:47 PM
Author: idealprincess
I'm still a bit hesitant as it would be nice to have images, I see many online vendors with all the bells and whistles of certs, IS images, HA, phots etc etc. The only info I have on this stone is what I posted above. And even that is a pre-cert, is that the same as a the actual cert?

The vendor states he can ship it to an appraiser for me to view in person. I would only need to wire funds if I am satisfied with the stone, otherwise I would only be responsible for the shipping ( approx US$200) if I decide not to buy it. Seems someone else has a client also interested in the stone?

Should I persue this stone or does this sound sketchy? Thanks for all your great advice and opinions.
If you want a very large diamond on a budget then it might be worth a look and have it sent to an appraiser - really thats all we can tell without more info. It might not be eyeclean to your standards or otherwise suitable but if you are seriously interested and don't mind if it doesn't pan out investing $200, then it might be worth further evaluation.

Is it with an online vendor?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm still a bit hesitant as it would be nice to have images, I see many online vendors with all the bells and whistles of certs, IS images, HA, phots etc etc. The only info I have on this stone is what I posted above. And even that is a pre-cert, is that the same as a the actual cert?

ED

I found this link, and it looks like there are 3? different types of grading for EGL. I don't know...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/who-prepares-certificates.25291/

idealprincess

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/21/2009 1:11:53 PM
Author: Lorelei

I''m still a bit hesitant as it would be nice to have images, I see many online vendors with all the bells and whistles of certs, IS images, HA, phots etc etc. The only info I have on this stone is what I posted above. And even that is a pre-cert, is that the same as a the actual cert?

If you want a very large diamond on a budget then it might be worth a look and have it sent to an appraiser - really thats all we can tell without more info. It might not be eyeclean to your standards or otherwise suitable but if you are seriously interested and don''t mind if it doesn''t pan out investing $200, then it might be worth further evaluation.

Is it with an online vendor?

Lor, yes-it''s an online vendor and I want to keep the budget down to a min. yet be able to have a substantial upgrade in size. My original ering is 1.35ct D Ideal VS1. If I keep these grades, for my budget, I can barely get a 2ct.

I love the way the 4.02 looks on paper (since I dont see any inclusions

31.gif
). My issue is that I don''t want to waste my time and get my hopes up since I dont even know where the inclusions are, the pre-cert doesnt have a plot diagram.

If all the vendors have access to the same stones, could I go to another vendor that can offer me IS, HA LS images, video, etc? Would I need to pay for these services or is it included for their price?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I know that stone. Saw it on the virtual list. If size is all that matters then it could be a decent option. But it''s only 11.5k so to be honest, I doubt that it''s an H or I1 and for that low of a sum, there''s most likey something very, very wrong with it.

I''m sorry to sound like a downer, just being realistic.

idealprincess

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/21/2009 5:38:06 PM
Author: elle_chris
I know that stone. Saw it on the virtual list. If size is all that matters then it could be a decent option. But it''s only 11.5k so to be honest, I doubt that it''s an H or I1 and for that low of a sum, there''s most likey something very, very wrong with it.

Elle, thanks for bringing me back to reality. But I''m just really curious to see what''s wrong with it??? And for that price if it was something I could live with
36.gif
. Obviously in the case of this stone, it''d definitely just be about the size and cut. Like I said, it''d be a no brainer if there were images to judge what could be good or wrong with this stone.
No huh?
8.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 6:30:11 PM

Elle, thanks for bringing me back to reality. But I''m just really curious to see what''s wrong with it??? And for that price if it was something I could live with
36.gif
. Obviously in the case of this stone, it''d definitely just be about the size and cut. Like I said, it''d be a no brainer if there were images to judge what could be good or wrong with this stone.
No huh?
8.gif
Weeeeelllll.. in that size, it most likely has visible inclusions. It''s probably lower than even an I1 and there''s a good chance that it''s not a true H. There''s also the question on light performance, if it was really a beauty, the price would be higher.

The only reason I''m saying this is because there''s a reason it''s priced so low. Dealers know the true worth of what they''re selling. So when you compare this stone, with others- (and I''m only talking about EGL certs not GIA) it''s coming in at least 4k lower. Now, that doesn''t sound like much but when you figure in the price of the stone, that''s a big discount.
Doesn''t make sense if it was even a mediocore quality diamond.

If you''re looking at stones in that price range, it may not be worth it to you to shell out 200 bucks if you decide not to keep it. That is the only reason I''d have, for not calling it in.

idealprincess

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/21/2009 6:48:07 PM

36.gif
No huh?
8.gif
Weeeeelllll.. in that size, it most likely has visible inclusions. It''s probably lower than even an I1 and there''s a good chance that it''s not a true H. There''s also the question on light performance, if it was really a beauty, the price would be higher.

The only reason I''m saying this is because there''s a reason it''s priced so low. Dealers know the true worth of what they''re selling. So when you compare this stone, with others- (and I''m only talking about EGL certs not GIA) it''s coming in at least 4k lower. Now, that doesn''t sound like much but when you figure in the price of the stone, that''s a big discount.

If you''re looking at stones in that price range, it may not be worth it to you to shell out 200 bucks if you decide not to keep it. That is the only reason I''d have, for not calling it in.
Elle, my DH''s thoughts exactly. So my question above, is it possible to use another vendor for this same stone, and would I be able to get all the info of ASET, HA, IS...and have them check it out before commiting any $... and if there''s really something terribly wrong, getting the stone out of my head?
19.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would be really nervous buying an I1 of that size. I think the inclusions would really bother me.
35.gif
35.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 7:01:34 PM

Date: 4/21/2009 6:48:07 PM

36.gif
No huh?
8.gif

Elle, my DH''s thoughts exactly. So my question above, is it possible to use another vendor for this same stone, and would I be able to get all the info of ASET, HA, IS...and have them check it out before commiting any $... and if there''s really something terribly wrong, getting the stone out of my head?
19.gif
I had WF call in a stone for me. But they were one of the vendors listing it. Also, after they gave it their thumbs up, i still had it shipped to an appraiser. Had I returned it, I would have had to pay a fee as well.
It''s worth a call and see what they say.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sounds way too cheap for a 4 ct stone. at $2900 per ct?? it gotta be a salt & pepper stone.
14.gif
don''t waste your $200 on shipping.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, $11, 500 for a 4 ct. stone????
23.gif
6.gif
14.gif
Seriously, I wouldn''t waste $25 on the shipping. Even a 2 ct. at that price probably isn''t going to be worth considering.

kristie

Shiny_Rock
DO NOT DO IT! I learned the hard way by doing the exact same thing you are and I had to eat the $200 in shipping. There is something really wrong with the stone if it is only 11.5 K. The old adage is always true......"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 11:11:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
23.gif
6.gif
14.gif
Seriously, I wouldn''t waste $25 on the shipping. Even a 2 ct. at that price probably isn''t going to be worth considering.
Oh gosh if thats the price then it is probably not going to be worth investing any investigative money on - you get what you pay for.
8.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 5:02:14 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/21/2009 11:11:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
23.gif
6.gif
14.gif
Oh gosh if thats the price then it is probably not going to be worth investing any investigative money on - you get what you pay for.
8.gif
I have to agree, I would pass on this.
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results