shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 3 Diamonds Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
I'd appreciate your expertise and which one is the star to purchase. All are round cuts. Also, do you think these prices are fair in the current market? I am getting engaged (2nd times a charm) in the next month and this forum has been extremely helpful in assisting me along the way and attempting to find the perfect stone for a lovely lady. Thanks are always in advance.
Charles

#1.
$7,500
1.36 ct.
AGS Cert
Color - I
Clarity - VS2
H&A - Ideal
Size - 7.10 x 7.12 x 4.39
Table Depth – 61.8%
Crown angle - 35.1
Crown height – 15.2%
Table Size – 56.6%
Pavilion angle - 40.8
Total depth - 61.8%
Culet - 0.5%
Proportions - Ideal
Polish - Ideal
Symmetry – Ideal
Fluorescence - None

#2.
$10,950
1.52 ct.
GIA Cert
Color – F
Clarity –Si1
NO ideal cut
Size – 7.39 x 7.36 x 4.55
Total depth – 61.70%
Crown angle – 35.3
Crown height – 14.7%
Table size – 57.8%
Cutlet - 0.8%
Polish – Excellent
Symmetry – Excellent
Flourescense - None

#3.
$10,898
1.62 ct.
GIA Cert
Color - H
Clarity - Si1
IDEAL CUT
Size - 7.66 x 7.65 x 4.61
Total depth - 60.3%
Cutlet - 0.6%
Crown angle – 33.7
Crown height - 14.2%
Table size - 57.4 %
Cutlet - .06%
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry – Excellent
Fluorescence – Faint

2eb0131f.jpg

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
Also, budget started in the 8K range, but can be stretched to 11K if needed.

Thank you,
Charles

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I know I am gonna get slammed on this one, but, all things considered, I'd go with #1. Yes, #3 is obviously bigger in the side by side, but your gal won't be wearing all 3 diamonds. (Us gals can always dream
11.gif
HeeeHeee!) For the price difference, I like #1 the best, but if you're gonna go big, go #3.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
All 3 look nice with good numbers. The price is nice on #1, but if money is not the issue, I like #3. It's a grade whiter with slight fluorescence, and as long as it's eye clean, the size would be a nice jump up from 1.36.

Just my 2 cents.
1.gif

Diamondlil

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would give her # 3, It is the biggest, and If the budget allows that's the stone to go for.
the numbers are right on the stone, except The prices are about 1000.00-1500.00 over priced.
read.gif

Otherwise go for it.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If your budget was 8k then number one is the choice. Looks nice too.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I too would go w/#1. Do you have pavilion data on the other stones?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finaly a line up picture ! From it, #2 talks to me, from all those numbers, #3 is the winner - given price and size. Much worse stuff will look eye clean among all the glitter in that picture! Are these?

Just as a rule of thumb, between a I-VS and H-SI, I would prefer the H
1.gif

As for that price: it sounds right considering the GIA pedigree (EGL stones are about 1k cheaper here) without mentioning that cut. BTW: I Scope anyone?

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/13/2004 9:38:55 AM Giangi wrote:

I too would go w/#1. Do you have pavilion data on the other stones?----------------

Thanks for the responses so far.

Here is the information you requested:

Pavilion Angle and depth on #2 stone -1.52 Ct.
Pavilion angle - 41.0%
Pavilion depth - 43.2%

Pavilion Angle and depth on #3 stone - 1.62 Ct.
Pavilion Angle - 41.1%
Pavilion Depth - 43.3%

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Between the 3 of them, I'd choose stone #1.

Ideally, though, I'd keep looking for a 1.36-1.45 H, SI1 instead that has nice cut proportions.

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
A few people have asked for more then just numbers, so I'll post as much information as I can at the moment. Again, I appreciate your insights. If any of you need computer or audio gear assistance, feel free to email me. Charles

These are some items from stone #1, the 1.36.

136_VS2_I_b-scope.jpg

7635723d.jpg

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
Stone #1 1.36

59dc4775.jpg

1.jpg

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
Stone # 2 - 1.52

b012def8.jpg

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
Stone #3 1.62

32dd5d42.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
For me it comes down to how easily you can swing the extra money. If it's no biggie, go for #3. If you can certainly use the extra few thousand elsewhere then go for #1. She's going to love either one.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hh wow!

Based on those three B-scopes, these three stones are real brothers! Given that white light return determines hoe "visible" are the other two characteristics in most light conditions.. it is the most important reading for me - and does not set any stone apart here! For example, a diamond with high scintillation score and low white light return will only show it's "flashes" (= scintillation) under strong light and dim anywhere far away from a strong light source. I would gladly welcome correction here, but as far as I imagine, colored light return is determined by diffraction, and the same logic as used for relating scintillation and white light return could apply.

It should be noted that variations in bar's positions within the same region of the scale are not supposed to have decisive visual impact.

All in all, #3 still remains the best buy (i.e. size for price) here... and the relatively high scintillation is good newss too - many buyers appreciate this effect in fancy shapes and old round cuts, and it is often mentioned as the decisive difference between the look of equally brilliant stones.

PS: I know I named #2 as the more obviously "nice" in the picture - but, given that a photo cannot say anything about the look of the stone in movement, whyle the Bscope does, I would rather believe the three charts and go for #3.

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
Also if I may add, one of these stones will be mounted in a gold setting. With very limited experience in the precious stone field, my research on this forum has taught me that the metal setting of the diamond can/will influence color and clarity choices. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Charles

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/13/2004 12:23:50 PM Chas_T wrote:

[...] metal setting of the diamond can/will influence color and clarity choices.
Charles----------------

There are two generally accepted statements about this: #1) > and #2) >.

Both statements are based on the assumption that, for diamonds, "the whiter the better". The color of prongs (or bezel) shows through the stone, so using white metal for the part of the setting in contact with the diamond does make sense, at least to me.

Otherwise, whether the "tint" of the diamond shows in contrast with the metal's color, no idea. Some jewelers would say that white metals makes tinted stones look more tinted, others would say that white metal's reflections make the stone look "whiter" - it seems to depend on whether you are being shown a D or a K color. So this "contract" effect is rather debatable... at least.

This is about all I've ever been told about the color of diamond jewelry metals. I am not sure how important the whole thing is though...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Now that I know th eangles, I'd pick #3, because of its size, price and crown(shallower)/pavilion(steeper) combo. It scores 1.9 on the HCA, while the first scores 2. They do all look really nice! DBOF?
2.gif
9.gif

Chas_T

Rough_Rock
Would this test be a concern on stone # 3 - 1.62 Ct. The diamond is not a H&A.

162_SI1_H_isee2.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I just didn't want you to think you had to go yellow gold because the diamonds you're considering are H and I colors.
1.gif
Your FI decided on the metal of choice and Yellow Gold it will be!!
appl.gif

Glad to have pointed you to the Price Scope collection of pics, tho. Maybe your FI can get some great ideas or see something new that she might like!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results