shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion needed on asscher with vintage specs

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This picture was taken using the ideal light Garry sells correct?
20190325_144432.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This picture was taken using the ideal light Garry sells correct?
20190325_144432.jpg

It was from Dave Atlas, but I think its same handheld scope and I just used my phone camera to capture the image.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was from Dave Atlas, but I think its same handheld scope and I just used my phone camera to capture the image.
They change things up a little since the last time I looked.
The examination plate replaced the ideal light.
The diamond is sitting in one of these?
Examination-Comparison-plate.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They change things up a little since the last time I looked.
The examination plate replaced the ideal light.
The diamond is sitting in one of these?
Examination-Comparison-plate.jpg

There is a tray like that on top of a light. Its one of the discontinued models.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a tray like that on top of a light. Its one of the discontinued models.
ok that's settled then.
The ASET image is over blue from the diamond sitting in the tray and the girdle being higher in the scope.
Its one of those things that dont matter much with MRBs but makes a difference with fancies because their reflectors are pointed more directions.
Most of the blue areas under the table in the ASET would be red if the girdle was even with the scope mouth based on the photos.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ok that's settled then.
The ASET image is over blue from the diamond sitting in the tray and the girdle being higher in the scope.
Its one of those things that dont matter much with MRBs but makes a difference with fancies because their reflectors are pointed more directions.
Most of the blue areas under the table in the ASET would be red if the girdle was even with the scope mouth based on the photos.

Wow - thats a lot of red then! :sun: That explains why I'm not seeing much leakage in real life with this stone. I love getting your analysis on this stuff - its a real education!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow - thats a lot of red then! :sun: That explains why I'm not seeing much leakage in real life with this stone. I love getting your analysis on this stuff - its a real education!
:}
Blue would be obstruction or you reflected in the stone.
White would be leakage and there is not a lot of it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has a very distinct 'look' about it - different to other asschers!

If you're happy with its performance in 95% of the lighting conditions you see it in, I think that is pretty good for a fancy / stepcut that is not a branded cut from PS vendors :)

What are your options, then, is the key question, I guess - keep it? return it? Look for a 2ct asscher to reach that 7mm mark? Look for a Royal Asscher now you know you like the 'flavour'?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's phenomenally gorgeous ! And a three stone would be lovely. I agree with you about the face up size, though to my eye it doesn't look too small, but your eyes are the most important. Good luck with your decision.

How did your asscher turn out? Yours was a similar to size to mine from what I recall. what did you feel about the size/ visible steps issue?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it has a very distinct 'look' about it - different to other asschers!

If you're happy with its performance in 95% of the lighting conditions you see it in, I think that is pretty good for a fancy / stepcut that is not a branded cut from PS vendors :)

What are your options, then, is the key question, I guess - keep it? return it? Look for a 2ct asscher to reach that 7mm mark? Look for a Royal Asscher now you know you like the 'flavour'?

OoohShiny, I agree, it is quite rare to get that performance in a fancy, which is why I'm trying to convince myself that the size look is not going to be a problem. I really wanted a fancy which would have large amounts of fire whilst also having great light return and an attractive facet arrangement. And that is what this asscher does. So it really ticks a lot of boxes.

However, from any distance it looks a bit like a round brilliant (especially when I don't have my glasses on) :lol: So I feel like because of its smaller size it doesnt always scream "asscher". This may change once its set, and if I go for prongs on the clipped corners this might give more of a square(ish) emphasis to the shape even when viewed from a distance.

I don't have the option of getting a 2ct, but an alternative would be to choose a different fancy shape which faces up slightly larger for the carat weight. I do have a liking for slightly elongated shapes, although they seem to take more of a hit as far as light performance goes.

The ring designs I have seen which I'm drawn to with traps look great with the larger sized asschers but when I consider that the length of the longer sides of my asscher are around 3.3mm it becomes impossible to put traps with it as they would be too wide for my stone. So I either need to get very creative with a ring design for this asscher which will satisfy my 3 or 5 stone cravings, or consider a different fancy shape.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for inquiring. I just received it, and opened the package last night. It is square and not octagon like your lovely diamond. It is a different flavor of asscher. Under the lights, it looked like it was dusted with rainbow glitter. Sadly, the photos that I snapped do it no justice. Please share the secret of how to photograph diamonds as your photos are so fabulous. It is smaller than yours at 5.83 x 5.80mm. I have heard that diamonds appear larger when set. Maybe you could take your diamond to a jewelry store and have them rest it in a few settings to see if the size still concerns you. Good luck with your decision.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for inquiring. I just received it, and opened the package last night. It is square and not octagon like your lovely diamond. It is a different flavor of asscher. Under the lights, it looked like it was dusted with rainbow glitter. Sadly, the photos that I snapped do it no justice. Please share the secret of how to photograph diamonds as your photos are so fabulous. It is smaller than yours at 5.83 x 5.80mm. I have heard that diamonds appear larger when set. Maybe you could take your diamond to a jewelry store and have them rest it in a few settings to see if the size still concerns you. Good luck with your decision.

That's a good idea about trying it out in a setting, I think you are right about diamonds looking bigger in settings.

Rainbow glitter sounds very good! Do you feel you have found "the one"? :D

In terms of photos, I use my Samsung S7 on a close-up mode and hold the phone further away from the jewellery to avoid shadows. I just experimented with different lighting situations around the house and found that by the window when its sunny, and under bathroom or kitchen spotlighting seems to work. But it depends on the colour of your walls too - in some parts of my kitchen all jewellery picks up a turquoise hue from reflections off the splashback which is not a good look :wacko:

The best lighting for seeing colour (I mean rainbow colour) is diffuse sunlight. Some of my photos were taken under a tree and that's where you seem to get the best light show. 8-)

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the photography suggestions. I appreciate them. Right now, I am too terrified to take it outside in case it would get lost. It really is so tiny and I am lucky to find a pill when I drop one in the kitchen! This diamond does feel like "the one". It will be heartbreaking if I have to return it for any reason.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results