shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion: Cut or Color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Now I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I am looking for the perfect 1ct RB for my ering. I have decided to buy from WF, due mostly to the outstanding reviews they get around here. Their H&A cut is quite out of my price range, but they have a nice H SI1 from their Expert Selection collection-
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-183727.htm

I'm a little bit color sensitive, so I was trying to get more in the D-G range. Obviously I can still get that, but I would have to take a step down in cut.

So my question is...H color Expert Selection or D color excellent cut? It is going into a platinum Ritani setting with G/H color side stones. Will I be able to see the color difference enough to make it worth the trade-off? Or should I stick with the best cut I can afford and compromise a couple of color grades? Opinions appreciated!

Edit: Oops! Sorry, it's an SI2, said to be eye-clean.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Expert Selections /are/ excellent cuts.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I thought the ES were better than the standard "excellent"? If not, that makes a difference...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ES stones are very well priced. I doubt you''d be able to find a 1 ct D premium cut stone for <5K.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2007 10:07:35 PM
Author: JulieN
ES stones are very well priced. I doubt you'd be able to find a 1 ct D premium cut stone for <5K.
Ditto. ES stones usually just miss the H&A mark, thus are a great value.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d get the H. I really would. When you say your color sensitive, have you compared colors of idea/near ideal cut stones such as hearts on Fire? Also, when you are wearing your H... it''s not next to a D ... its by itself and will look brighter than one sitting right next to a D.

But if an H is not going to be ''mind clean'' for you... then go up in color.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d get the H, unless you are super color sensitive. I bought two cushions at the same time...one F and one H. Nearly the same weight (1.03 vs 1.01). Face up, I could not tell the difference and I would imagine a well cut round would hide tint better than a cushion would.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2007 9:40:33 PM
Author:BigDiamonds
Their H&A cut is quite out of my price range...
Do remember to use the search by cut feature to help you look. Though I''d agree with what''s been suggested here,...that an expert selection can serve you well, I''m not seeing one. Still, this one, at $5240 based on wire pricing, the price difference is notable, but not another world. Also an SI 2.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I love whiteflash stones and I think you would be very happy with their "H" but if you really want a better color, maybe you could consider these:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1007271 - 1.05 carat, E, SI2, AGS000, $5000 (with pricescope discount)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=859911 - 0.93, G, SI1 (but its a bit spready, looks a little bigger), $4320

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2246/- 0.904, E, SI2 from GOG, $4799, AGS000

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=1024793 - 1.07, F, SI2, AGS000, $4700

I''m by no means an expert- just throwing out options for you!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all! I am leaning more and more towards the H...I think I will appreciate the better cut more than I will see the better color. I think I got a bad taste about color because I saw a poorly cut I next to a well-cut E. I bet that the ES H will face-up just as white as the E-Fs I''ve seen, which would be fine.

I asked WF to inquire about some of their vendor stones just to compare though. I will also check out stones that you guys recommended. Thank you all for your help!

I don''t what I would have done if I hadn''t found PS!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 8:57:08 PM
Author: BigDiamonds

Thank you all! I am leaning more and more towards the H...I think I will appreciate the better cut more than I will see the better color. I think I got a bad taste about color because I saw a poorly cut I next to a well-cut E. I bet that the ES H will face-up just as white as the E-Fs I''ve seen, which would be fine.
BD, I''d honestly go with the H. What you saw in a poorly cut stone isn''t at all representative of what a well-cut H will look like.

I wear an H, SI2 from Whiteflash, and it''s gorgeous. Coworkers all assumed it was an F when I got it becuase ''it was so white''. LOL - of course, I just smiled and said nothing!
9.gif

Truly - it''s no risk to try the H. In the unlikely event you aren''t totally thrilled, they have a fabulous return policy, so you can''t really go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results