shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion about the value of a blue heart diamond

Mohamed ali

Rough_Rock
I wounder what's the value of this diamond?
received_574245659606463.jpeg
received_574245646273131.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone, but the certificate notes “Comments: test for color and treatment not done.

Without that information, I don’t know how anyone could/would suggest a value even if they were to see it in-person.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That report provides sparse information. Nothing on color, clarity or cut?

All it tells you is that it is a diamond and the basic dimensions.

Mohamed ali

Rough_Rock
Roughly please i dnt need a specific number

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even roughly isn't possible given the paucity of information provided. The details you're skipping over are precisely what determines whether you have a treated crappy diamond or a very valuable blue diamond.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m far from expert on coloured diamonds but I do know that natural blue stones are extremely expensive. It’s probably impossible to find a direct size comparison but here’s a much paler stone from Leibish,

https://www.leibish.com/blue-diamonds/fancy-grayish-blue-round-22593

If your stone is natural, it would be worth a LOT of money. Because of that, any vendor would make sure to have a full GIA report stating the absence of treatment.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Even roughly isn't possible given the paucity of information provided. The details you're skipping over are precisely what determines whether you have a treated crappy diamond or a very valuable blue diamond.

This. To me it looks treated, in which case it would be worth a few hundred to a thousand. But if it had a deep blue color like that and was untreated, it would be worth nearly 6 figures. Again, it looks like a low quality treatment to me, but the only way to know for sure would be to send it to a reputable grading lab (GIA, AGS or even IGI). Any could quickly tell you whether or not it was treated.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For fancy colored diamonds, send to GIA. For colored gemstones, send to AGL.

See @kenny post here re: FCD with detail on what to request.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...r-small-colored-diamonds.161645/#post-2942714

Edited to add. I agree with others that the color is very consistent with irradiated stones I've seen in person. But, natural blues do come in this shade as well. You cannot detect treatment in diamonds from a photo such as you have been provided.

Examples of natural blue-greens
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...-green-blue-si1-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r7204
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...d-green-blue-si2-pear-shape-diamond-gia-r7202
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...luish-green-vs2-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-r7206

Borrowing from the Colored Stone board...Trust but verify.

Last edited:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The report says:

TEST FOR COLOR AND TREATMENT NOT DONE

The reason they used a lab no one has heard of, is that if they had done the test, it would come out treated. The color is typical of irradiated blues.

I have no idea what it's worth though. There don't seem to be a lot of these out there.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The report says:

TEST FOR COLOR AND TREATMENT NOT DONE

The reason they used a lab no one has heard of, is that if they had done the test, it would come out treated. The color is typical of irradiated blues.

I have no idea what it's worth though. There don't seem to be a lot of these out there.

Exactly. But like you said, it's definitely not worthless. The OP would need to send it to a reputable lab to get a better idea of what it's worth. Would need to know whether it's also been clarity-enhanced, as well as the clarity and polish/symmetry rating to hone in on a price. If it was irradiated (most likely) but not clarity-enhanced and had a decent clarity and cut, then maybe $1000-$2000? If it was clarity-enhanced and had a poor cut, maybe a few hundred $'s. Those are just "rough guesses" though, since you asked for rough estimates. :mrgreen:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a link to prices of treated blue diamond jewelry, to get a range.
for example here is a 70 point that is over a thousand, set. So I think around 1K? maybe 1.5K if it doesn't have yet other enhancements like clarity enhancements. That's why the report you currently have, is pretty much useless.
https://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-W...amond-Ring-H-I-SI1-SI2/18798683/product.html?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-50Ct-Heat-Treated-Blue-Diamond-1Ct-Center-Vintage-Engagement-Ring-Set-14K/158208643?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222055869735&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10372786927&wl4=pla-1105716872161&wl12=158208643_10000001454&wl14=blue treated diamond&veh=sem&msclkid=7962f9ef6c541511e8b3a345f0cc2069

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it comes to fancy colored diamonds, two things can be of natural or man-made origin ... color and material.
They can make diamonds in a lab, also in a lab they can change the color of a diamond that was mined from the earth - which I'm certain is what you have.

When the origin of both are nature the owner always sends it to GIA so they can justify charging a zillion dollars for it.
Pros know what they have, but hope you don't. ... Though, now you do.

They know most of the public is uninformed.
They have no problem deceiving the public by only reporting the origin of ONE thing, the material - while failing to mention the origin of other thing, color.
Notice the 'report' states, "Identification: Natural Diamond".
IMO this failure to reveal a massively important thing is fraud :angryfire:.
That's why I would not give this seller any business and tell her/him why.

When the origin is natural but the color is the result of treatment in a lab they send it to a "lab" like the one above that avoids mentioning the origin of the color ... instead only mentions the origin of the material. :nono:

While that blue is possible in a FULLY natural FCD, that is the color we commonly see in treated diamonds.

There is zero chance that diamond came out of the earth with that color ... likely it was an unattractive brown before treatment.
All said, there is nothing wrong with this diamond.
If you love it and know the color is not natural, by all means buy and enjoy it.
My problem is with the deception.
I'll bet the vast majority of buyers have no idea that the color is fake. :blackeye:

Do a search for treated fancy colored diamonds to ascertain a value guess.

Last edited:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One issue with irradiated blues is that the radiation can cause them to crack. If they were nice stones, they would have been sold untreated. I'm not sure about blues, but greens always cut before treatment because the color is deeper on the outside of the stone and the cut would ruin it. Likewise cracked stones can't be recut into smaller stones. A certain percentage of stones are ruined, which is another incentive not to use the better stones.

What this amounts to is that prices are going to vary a lot as poor stones are common and nice ones are not.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it says diamond, but - man! that looks like a montana sapphire!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit I like some of the lighter blue irradiated diamonds. They scream fake to me, but I still think they are pretty (ducks head).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit I like some of the lighter blue irradiated diamonds. They scream fake to me, but I still think they are pretty (ducks head).

I agree.
Hue is hue.
No hue is a naughty hue. :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results