shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion about Michael M setting, please?

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

After obsessing over diamonds, I finally took the plunge and bought an amazing 1.5 carat round brilliant. After a little breather, I went on to obsess over the setting and decided on Michael M's R519 ring. The company is great about customizing their rings, so I have specified I want the ring to be a size 3, the band to be 1.7 mm (it is currently over 2 mm I think), and the band width to be smoothed down where it approaches the prongs so the band looks as round as possible.

However, I have been debating whether or not to modify the prongs near the top so the tips are smaller. I usually love rings that have delicate prongs and dislike super thick prongs, but I have come to terms with my prongs needing to be thicker in order to accommodate the diamonds up the sides. If the prongs tips were to be made a bit thinner, I think one or two of the top diamonds have to be removed.

This is where I need your help! I feel that these prongs are very different from most rings, but is this necessarily a bad difference? In the end, do you all think it is worth it to make the prong tips smaller? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

(By the way, my future fiance/husband knows how much of a control freak I can be, so he's letting me take full reign over the ring and whipping out the credit card when needed [within reason]. I have conceded to letting him surprise me with the actual proposal though. :tongue: )

Here is a link to the ring: http://michaelmcollection.com/search.asp?search=r519

Michael M R519-1_md.png

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
beautiful setting, although I do wish they have a picture that's shows the top of the ring so I can get a better idea of it.

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
I've searched the internet, but there is no top view to be found...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen rings with prongs like that from the top. I don't personally care for the look at all. I find it very distracting from the center stone. I would go for smaller prongs. Maybe tab prongs so they are wide enough to pave but small where they hold the diamond?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1304632513|2913321 said:
I've seen rings with prongs like that from the top. I don't personally care for the look at all. I find it very distracting from the center stone. I would go for smaller prongs. Maybe tab prongs so they are wide enough to pave but small where they hold the diamond?

I totally agree, I think the prongs look too 'blocky' and I don't really like that look.

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
ooohsparklyyyy|1304629213|2913253 said:
However, I have been debating whether or not to modify the prongs near the top so the tips are smaller. I usually love rings that have delicate prongs and dislike super thick prongs, but I have come to terms with my prongs needing to be thicker in order to accommodate the diamonds up the sides. If the prongs tips were to be made a bit thinner, I think one or two of the top diamonds have to be removed.

These are unique prongs and come as part of the design as a whole. However, due to your preference highlighted above I don't know if you could come to terms with these. I'm sure they could adjust them to a more fluid form without taking away from it.

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input everyone! I also have the nagging feeling that the prongs will bother me after awhile. However, I have been so picky about the modifications that I feel almost bad inquiring about another one...my jeweler is going to disown me...

Does anybody reading this actually like the setting as is? Or is there a consensus I should go for a smaller tip...?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also really don't care for the look of prongs like that from face-up IRL, though the profile view is generally stunning w/ all the pave up the prongs.

I've seen Leon Mege pieces that counter that "blocky" problem by splitting the prongs into two claws at the very top, so from the top view it looks like a double-claw piece and from the side the single prong is covered in diamonds

Mege_cushion_solitaire.jpg

Another option - decorate the tops, too

Radiant%20Cut%202.07%20ct%20pave-1.jpg

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
Update:

This is the response I got from my jeweler about changing the prongs. (By the way, I wish I could just talk to Michael M. directly, but the company says I have to go through an authorized jeweler.)

"If you sign off a paper stating that you understand the risk of stones popping out in the future, then the vendor may consider modifying the head to take off two or more stones from the top.

The pave settings are not as simple. They use necessary metal, just enough to have the stones in place to ensure quality and not a lb more. And it is calculated with pressure to hold stones.

And if they take off the 2 stones form the top, it will change the look of the ring."

Opinions now? I am completely torn! I won't mind the slight change to the top if it were to be modified, and I am in love with the profile of this ring as it was SURPRISINGLY hard to find one like it. However, I don't want want to have to deal with stones popping out and it not being covered by their warranty. What to do what to do???

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
I thought about diamonds on the top of the tips too, but I don't think I want to go that route either...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not customize it that much, too much risk and you would likely not be able to return it. I am guessing as well you have not seen it in person... Have you thought about a wedding band? You would not be able to wear one next to that ring or it would damage the pave on the cross bars/trellis.

Reminds me of this ring from Vatche:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...er-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1273.htm

I would ask if Vatche can make this setting without pave on the shank, as the prong tips are already small on this design so no major customization needed.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with dreamer on this one, especially after reading your update. Find something that doesn't need to be changed so much; the odds of getting it just how you want it are slim to none. You'll be much happier in the long run and your diamond will be safer.

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
I was not planning to wear a wedding band and an engagement ring at the same time since the combination seems to overwhelm my small fingers. The Vatche trellis does look promising though...I will see if it can be modified...

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
Oh yes, I looked at his designs awhile ago - SO pretty and graceful. Although that crossed trellis is just perfect for me.

I was browsing through some old pricescope posts and I actually found a designer today willing to do what I want. (He is a quick e-mail responder!) However, he wants me to go with platinum since he says it will be sturdier (I agree although I really do dislike the patina of platinum) but the price will be almost $2000 different. He can also do it in 18K white gold but says the quoted price won't be that much different from platinum. Is it worth it to pay $2000 more to have the tips looking like how I want them to be?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ooohsparklyyyy|1304645169|2913526 said:
Oh yes, I looked at his designs awhile ago - SO pretty and graceful. Although that crossed trellis is just perfect for me.

I was browsing through some old pricescope posts and I actually found a designer today willing to do what I want. (He is a quick e-mail responder!) However, he wants me to go with platinum since he says it will be sturdier (I agree although I really do dislike the patina of platinum) but the price will be almost $2000 different. He can also do it in 18K white gold but says the quoted price won't be that much different from platinum. Is it worth it to pay $2000 more to have the tips looking like how I want them to be?

well you have to decide if it is worth it to you. also if you want white gold I would go with white gold.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What exactly do you want w/ the prongs, sparkly? I'm starting to wonder if this is one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" scenarios - the prongs are already one of the most vulnerable parts of a ring, turn them into swiss cheese and stud them with melee and they become even less durable - a certain thickness and *shape* is just necessary for them to retain any sort of strength. Kinda like an i-beam is a lot stronger than just a plain rod, because of its shape.. I rather suspect the ideal configuration for something so delicate - and the tolerances that a designer has to play with - differs btwn the softer platinum and more brittle wg, too - maybe that's the reason for the plat recommendation?

I hope Victor Canera or Michael E or someone else w/ experience sees this thread and chimes in.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1304646617|2913554 said:

What exactly do you want w/ the prongs, sparkly? I'm starting to wonder if this is one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" scenarios - the prongs are already one of the most vulnerable parts of a ring, turn them into swiss cheese and stud them with melee and they become even less durable - a certain thickness and *shape* is just necessary for them to retain any sort of strength. Kinda like an i-beam is a lot stronger than just a plain rod, because of its shape.. I rather suspect the ideal configuration for something so delicate - and the tolerances that a designer has to play with - differs btwn the softer platinum and more brittle wg, too - maybe that's the reason for the plat recommendation?

I hope Victor Canera or Michael E or someone else w/ experience sees this thread and chimes in.

yssie that's a good point. maybe plat prongs but wg shank?

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
lol Wow Yssie, you know your designers! Victor Canera is the designer I talked to who suggested platinum. I think I will go back to look at the setting again this weekend and see if it strikes me differently. (It's been awhile since I've seen it in person.) If I remember correctly, the store's setting held about a 1 carat CZ, so I was thinking my 1.5 larger diamond might minimize the prongs somewhat?

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I see what you are saying you want, though there the halo is adding some extra structural strength there that just prongs would obviously not have. I reckon you're in good hands w/ Victor Canera, from his posts and the recent examples of his work :sun:

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1304646617|2913554 said:

Yssie, there's nothing to add that you haven't pointed out in a very succinct manner yourself. You sure you're not a jeweler lol?
Shanks are one thing to make thin and set pave on but prongs holding a multi-thousand dollar center stone should be taken seriously. When you set pave you weaken the metal a bit. They type of pave also makes a difference. Types like V-Cut, craponia and U-cut for example weaken the metal a bit more than other types like bright cut. Those entail creating a groove on the metal not just drilling a hole. The type of metal also makes a difference. Gold wears away over time\re-polishing where platinum doesn't nearly as much. This is really noticeable actually; when jewelry is being polished, a gold piece could lose about 10% of its weight while a platinum piece barely loses any weight at all. This is why you have estate pieces from close to a hundred years ago that still survive in Platinum.

Anyway for the original poster, make sure that you start out with thicker prongs than you normally would without pave so that you can have a good structural base to set pave on later on. Keep in mind that brightcut pave will keep the prongs a bit stronger than the other versions and you should be ok.

Good luck.

ooohsparklyyyy

Rough_Rock
Victor, thank you for your advice (just now and through our e-mails). I was not even aware of all the different types of pave...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results