shape
carat
color
clarity

Open Mouth, Insert Foot.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Donald Trump does it again. He couldn't just leave it alone. He cannot let anyone criticize him. He had to lash out at the mother of a fallen US soldier.

This is an excerpt from an article in "The Washington Post"

"Republican Donald Trump lashed out Saturday at two Muslim American parents who lost their son while he served in the U.S. military in Iraq and who appeared at the Democratic National Convention last week, stirring outrage among critics who said the episode proves that Trump lacks the compassion and temperament to be president.

(snip)

Trump also questioned why Khan’s wife, Ghazala, did not speak on stage, despite the fact that she sat for an interview with MSNBC the following day.

'His wife, if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say,' he said. 'You tell me, but plenty of people have written that. She was extremely quiet and it looked like she had nothing to say.'

(snip)

The Khans appeared in Philadelphia on Thursday, the same night that Trump’s Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, formally accepted her party’s nomination. Khizr Khan’s moving remarks quickly reverberated beyond the arena, and their effects have since spilled out onto the campaign trail. In an interview the following day with MSNBC, Ghazala Khan said she did not speak because she is still devastated by her son’s death and grows emotional when she sees his picture.

Although only the latest instance in which Trump has attacked a convention speaker, the Republican nominee’s remarks drew strong rebukes Saturday — but only silence from several senior GOP leaders, including House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and the vice-presidential nominee, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence.

'Trump’s slur against Captain Khan’s mother is, even for him, beyond the pale,' tweeted John Weaver, a Republican strategist for Ohio Gov. John Kasich. 'He has NO redeeming qualities.'

Matt Mackowiak, another GOP strategist, tweeted: 'There is only one response for Trump to the criticism: "As an American, I deeply appreciate the patriotic sacrifice of the Khan family."'

The Clinton campaign’s Karen Finney offered this: 'Trump is truly shameless to attack the family of an American hero. Many thanks to the Khan family for your sacrifice, we stand with you.'

Clinton also addressed the episode Saturday. 'I was very moved to see Ghazala Khan stand bravely and with dignity in support of her son on Thursday night,' Clinton said in a statement. 'And I was very moved to hear her speak last night, bravely and with dignity, about her son’s life and the ultimate sacrifice he made for his country.'

With Ghazala by his side on the convention stage last week, Khizr Khan blasted Trump’s rhetoric on Muslims and immigrants. Pulling his pocket version of the Constitution from his jacket, he questioned whether Trump has read the document.
The most memorable moments from the Republican and Democratic conventions

'You have sacrificed nothing and no one,' Khan said in a halting and forceful voice.

In the ABC interview, Trump pointed to the sacrifices he has made as a businessman: 'I think I’ve made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I’ve created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs,' Trump said.

'I think my popularity with the vets is through the roof,' he added later.

The backlash was swift and unsparing Saturday as high-profile political strategists from both parties tore into Trump and questioned his character.

'Trump revealed exactly who he is in this answer and it’s not pretty. A man this callous and cruel can’t be President,' former Obama senior advisor Dan Pfieffer fired off on Twitter Saturday afternoon.

'There is still a role for shame in society,' Stuart Stevens, former top strategist to 2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney, tweeted out Saturday in response.

Paul Rieckoff, the founder and chief executive of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, told ABC that Trump’s comparison of his own sacrifice to that of war veterans is an insult.

'For anyone to compare their "sacrifice" to a Gold Star family member is insulting, foolish and ignorant. Especially someone who has never served himself and has no children serving,' he said. 'Our country has been at war for a decade and a half, and the truth is most Americans have sacrificed nothing. Most of them are smart and grounded enough to admit it.'

Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks did not respond to a request for comment.

Trump avoided the draft during the Vietnam War through several student deferments. He was later medically disqualified from service.

Several of Trump’s critics said Saturday that Trump’s attacks on the Khans are part of a broader pattern in which the candidate lashes out at others in extraordinarily personal terms for criticizing him. Many say that voters should worry about what it means in terms of Trump’s temperament and, in particular, how he would deal with foreign leaders as president.

'He’s a person that has no self-control. He just has no sense of decency or empathy when it comes to dealing with others,' said Tim Miller, a veteran GOP strategist and former communications director for Jeb Bush. 'It’s always zero sum. You compliment me, I compliment you. You criticize me, I mock you. That’s what this is about. It’s all about him and his egotism.'

Miller added that Trump’s past statements, including his attack against Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for being a prisoner of war, have given Democrats an opening to defend the service of veterans in direct response to the Republican nominee’s own words.

Humayun Khan had completed four years of service before he was sent to Iraq. He was killed four months after he arrived.

To cope with their grief in the aftermath of his death, the Khans moved to Charlottesville in order to be closer to their two other sons, who were attending the University of Virginia, as Humayun had. The Khans have also described at times attending funerals for other soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery as a way of remembering their son.

In the MSNBC interview, Ghazala Khan explained why she did not speak Thursday: 'I was very nervous because I cannot see my son’s picture, and I cannot even come in the room where his pictures are. And that’s why. I saw the picture [behind] my back, I couldn’t take it and I controlled myself at that time.'

(snip)"

Link...https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/backlash-for-trump-after-he-lashes-out-at-the-muslim-parents-of-a-dead-us-soldier/2016/07/30/34b0aad4-5671-11e6-88eb-7dda4e2f2aec_story.html

AGBF

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Trumps never ceases to amaze...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump is so tone deaf. He doesn't seem to realize that it's not always about him. He cannot seem to step back and take any kind of judgment or perspective or understand context. I can see why running for the president is very exciting for him, that people are hanging on to his every word, he shows up to conventions and everyone is screaming his name and applauding him. But BEING president is a very different manner. You represent the United States, not yourself. You represent ALL of the citizens of the U.S., not just your own personal interests. I don't think he understands that at all.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite disgusted by this latest display of ignorance and hubris. I can put aside some things but to criticize a Gold Star family in my mind is unforgivable.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - it is simply beyond the pale. How dare he compare his business with the service and ultimate sacrifice of a military person?

How can his supporters not be hearing the same things I am? This rhetoric will make 'America Great Again'? America is great now - thank you very much! She has her problems - a democracy as large as this cannot ever be problem free - but I still would not choose to live anywhere else on earth. I appreciate and applaud those who have fought for our freedoms!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that this insult to a Gold Star family is unforgivable. Showing a lack of respect for the bereavement of another is a truly terrible insult for anyone to take, but toward a family who made the ultimate sacrifice...there are no words to adequately capture the horrors of Trump's despicable personality, which seems to overflow with hatred toward so many groups, most of them vulnerable in some way. The word "bully" doesn't really capture the scale and depth of his behavior. The world will be a better place when he is no longer in it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1469980624|4061079 said:
I agree - it is simply beyond the pale. How dare he compare his business with the service and ultimate sacrifice of a military person?

How can his supporters not be hearing the same things I am? This rhetoric will make 'America Great Again'? America is great now - thank you very much! She has her problems - a democracy as large as this cannot ever be problem free - but I still would not choose to live anywhere else on earth. I appreciate and applaud those who have fought for our freedoms!

Me, too! Everywhere has its problems, and I love America. It's a very, very interesting country. We have a lot of success at the Olympics, we've seen our first black president, now we have a female nominee for the first time. Never a dull moment!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, Mr. Khan's speech was the best of the night ... :appl: Trump... :nono: :knockout:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1469975998|4061066 said:
You represent the United States, not yourself. You represent ALL of the citizens of the U.S., not just your own personal interests. I don't think he understands that at all.

Ditto to your full post pg.
To this point specifically though - I humourlessly submit that Trump does believe he represents all citizens of his country that matter - I think he genuinely believes that minorities, women who aren't his daughter, people from other cultures are less important citizens - each 3/5 of a person, perhaps. Less than fully human.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1469982448|4061089 said:
part gypsy|1469975998|4061066 said:
You represent the United States, not yourself. You represent ALL of the citizens of the U.S., not just your own personal interests. I don't think he understands that at all.

Ditto to your full post pg.
To this point specifically though - I humourlessly submit that Trump does believe he represents all citizens of his country that matter - I think he genuinely believes that minorities, women who aren't his daughter, people from other cultures are less important citizens - each 3/5 of a person, perhaps. Less than fully human.

And this, this is what makes him so scary.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
THIS IS HOW YOU DEAL WITH "TRUMPISMS":

Pretend you're in the back of a New York city taxi. Pretend the driver starts blustering and throwing around ignorant, uninformed BS.

Then put Trump's words in his mouth. Imagine this taxi driver saying:

'His wife, if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say. You tell me, but plenty of people have written that. She was extremely quiet and it looked like she had nothing to say.'

Doesn't it all suddenly make sense that way? A blowhard, big-mouthed, old-school New Yorker (nothing against New Yorkers) spouting off. Thinks he knows everything. Solving all the world's problems in his own head.

The problem with most Trump supporters is that they have no context, because they probably haven't run into an old-school taxi driver before.

Blowhard taxi driver. That's the context.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1469981971|4061087 said:
IMO, Mr. Khan's speech was the best of the night ... :appl: Trump... :nono: :knockout:

If even DF is not happy with Trump, then he's lost everybody.

Thank God. :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1469990915|4061109 said:

Amen!! LOL!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnetgirl|1469972615|4061058 said:
Trumps never ceases to amaze...

I think, as with Michael Jackson, Trump's bizarreness can only be explained by one thing, too much money.

They both spent their lives surrounded by yes-people.
People who say what these guys don't want to hear get fired.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he actually think he ever sacrificed anything? Of course not. He knows his fans will eagerly swallow the 100 proof bull he's pouring.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump is disgusting. Just add this to the long list of awful things the man has said these past few months. I also thought it was the best speech of the evening. The pain etched on Mr Kahn and his wife's face during the speech was heartbreaking. Trump is a despicable human being who has a very good chance of becoming our next President. What does this say about American's?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1469990915|4061109 said:

I will never support a nut like Trump... :rolleyes:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Trump is disgusting. Just add this to the long list of awful things the man has said these past few months. I also thought it was the best speech of the evening. The pain etched on Mr Kahn and his wife's face during the speech was heartbreaking. Trump is a despicable human being who has a very good chance of becoming our next President. What does this say about American's?

What it says is that people do not like Hillary Clinton any better. IMO, if she were a stronger candidate, this would not even be much of a contest.

Yes, Trump says some stupid things. No question about it. But apparently so does Hillary. One is just more upfront about it than the other.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1470016851|4061188 said:
Calliecake|1470012420|4061175 said:

What it says is that people do not like Hillary Clinton any better. IMO, if she were a stronger candidate, this would not even be much of a contest.

Yes, Trump says some stupid things. No question about it. But apparently so does Hillary. One is just more upfront about it than the other.

I disagree. Just because Secretary Clinton is not far ahead of Donald Trump in the polls doesn't mean people are unenthusiastic about her because she "says stupid things". On the contrary, I think everyone is quite aware that she is brilliant...and also reticent enough to misspeak rarely. They just dislike her being a party hack.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They just distrust her.

And with good reason imo.

It is not just the things she says in public. It is what she says and does in private that I find more disturbing. And when called on it, she will act as if she does not have a clue.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470021134|4061198 said:
I disagree. Just because Secretary Clinton is not far ahead of Donald Trump in the polls doesn't mean people are unenthusiastic about her because she "says stupid things". On the contrary, I think everyone is quite aware that she is brilliant...and also reticent enough to misspeak rarely. They just dislike her being a party hack.
Lier?... :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John McCain, who is not one of the people who failed to endorse Trump, strongly condemned his conduct in regard to the Khan family. Here is an excerpt from an article in "The New York Times" about Senator McCain's statement.

"WASHINGTON — In a remarkable and lengthy rebuke of his party’s nominee, Senator John McCain sharply criticized Donald J. Trump’s comments about the family of a fallen Muslim Army captain, saying, 'While our party has bestowed upon him the nomination, it is not accompanied by unfettered license to defame those who are the best among us.'

Mr. McCain, a war hero whose service and capture in Vietnam was also once derided by Mr. Trump, had stayed largely silent over the weekend as Mr. Trump’s feud with the parents of Capt. Humayun Khan brewed, waiting until Monday morning to release a prepared statement.

'In recent days, Donald Trump disparaged a fallen soldier’s parents,' he wrote of the parents, Khizr and Ghazala Khan. 'He has suggested that the likes of their son should not be allowed in the United States — to say nothing of entering its service. I cannot emphasize enough how deeply I disagree with Mr. Trump’s statement. I hope Americans understand that the remarks do not represent the views of our Republican Party, its officers or candidates.'

Reverence for the military has been at the core of Mr. McCain’s career — he was his party’s nominee in 2008 and serves as chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee — and he has a close allegiance to families of those killed in conflict. Mr. McCain is now in a tough re-election battle in his home state of Arizona."

AGBF

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
AGBF, I completely agree with you about Donald Trump.

He has always been crass. Nothing new there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both liars, so pick the more believable liar? :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1470084724|4061410 said:
AGBF, I completely agree with you about Donald Trump.

He has always been crass. Nothing new there.

:wavey:
Deb

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander|1469990800|4061108 said:
THIS IS HOW YOU DEAL WITH "TRUMPISMS":

Pretend you're in the back of a New York city taxi. Pretend the driver starts blustering and throwing around ignorant, uninformed BS.

Then put Trump's words in his mouth. Imagine this taxi driver saying:

'His wife, if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say. You tell me, but plenty of people have written that. She was extremely quiet and it looked like she had nothing to say.'

Doesn't it all suddenly make sense that way? A blowhard, big-mouthed, old-school New Yorker (nothing against New Yorkers) spouting off. Thinks he knows everything. Solving all the world's problems in his own head.

The problem with most Trump supporters is that they have no context, because they probably haven't run into an old-school taxi driver before.

Blowhard taxi driver. That's the context.

:lol: :lol: :lol: So, I am not the only one to think that. All along, I've been yelling "Just STFU!" at Trump. It's fine to think whatever, but don't go blurting it all out without any filter.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ball is on Trump's court if he wanna be POTUS. He can beat HC by talking about 3 topics which she can not defend.
#1-Only 1.2% growth in our economy.
#2-HC's failed foreign policies as SOS.
#3-Her Emails.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of inserting a foot, fresh from Trump's mouth:

screen_shot_2016-08-02_at_11.png

E B

Ideal_Rock
I've seen this phrase floating around and I think it perfectly explains the phenom of "Teflon Don":

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

There was never a weighing of pros and cons, only a falling in line behind whoever the nominee was, and that's why nothing, no matter how ignorant or offensive, sticks to him for a certain %.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1470016851|4061188 said:

w/o the failed liberal policies there would be no D. Trump in this race. Americans are sick and tired of failed liberal policies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results