shape
carat
color
clarity

Open Diamond Glossary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
Awesome. I already learned a lot of new things that I thought were too stupid to ask. Thanks for such a great piece of work.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Leonid

Very good idea. I am sure the regulars to this forum will build the mother of all diamond books

Do we add to existing terms as we would respond to a thread and add new terms like new threads?

Johan

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
you can add new terms or clarify/comment on existiig ones

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
May we provide links to educational content that expounds further on each subject in the glossary?

Diermint

Rough_Rock
Just to give people a few ideas for the Glossary, here are some of the definitions that I would love to see from experts in the respective fields, especially backed up with pictures:

Rough diamonds
Fancy diamond shapes including good pictures of examples
1.gif

Pictures and definitions of things like "bowtie", "feather", "clouds" etc.
Diamond tools such as: Loupe, Sarin, various scopes etc.
Rings and settings and associated terminology
Pictures of inscriptions on girdles
Pictures of faceted girdles / polished girdles / unpolished girdles
Hearts and Arrows
Diamond simulants

Also, it might be an idea to have a thread where people can request and/or discuss a definition to be posted.

Diermint.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diermint, this is an excellent idea. You already have me brainstorming. Now all I need is that one precious element ... time.
3.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan,

About glossary and shapes...

At leat to me, the Gem Adviser makes a pretty good display tool for cut details - what "fair symmetry" and "very thick girdle" and "extra facet" mean are neatly exposed by those models. Snapshots and GA files make great examples of cut models, IMO.

But not all shapes are represented. And I did manage to loose the couple I had for hart shapes...

Is there any chance you may find a representative one ? If such (properly credited) use of your models is acceptable at all, of course.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Val,

Insofar as the shapes go I think that is a great idea. The GA models show alot of great information about symmetry, cut, facet structure, light return, brilliance etc. that is often underestimated.

Insofar as cut shapes that I do not have I would be willing to split the shipping with anyone who has a shape that they would like to include in the Glossary. This may be a problem though since most consumers diamonds are already mounted and I''d need the stone loose. I could research getting various shapes to include and see if suppliers of these other shapes would cooperate.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you use images be sure your willing to let them be used in the book under the licence leonid picks.
Which is probable going to be the creative commons licence by the looks of it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2004 125:46 PM
Author: Rhino
I could research getting various shapes to include and see if suppliers of these other shapes would cooperate.
These do no need to represent any actual diamond... they could be a random draw from the serious database you already have. Since the form of presentation does not keep any traceable record of where the stone represented is from (or to whom it was sold), would there still be some issue ?
Technically credible example could likely be made starting with a real set of numbers - but this means more work.

There is almost everything already represented among the sold items you keep up online. Just no hart shapes (I know there was a pair but I managed to misplace the file).

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful resource! Special thanks to Diermint for a job well done! We added some photographic examples of some of the items being discussed and will try to get back here once in awhile to add to the glossary when possible... We have a lot of photographs that might help to demonstrate the terms
2.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
What an excellent resource! Thanks- this is just what I needed to give to my soon to be future husband. He was getting overwhelmed when i just pointed him to the entire site and said...Read...this allows him to baby step easily into the fray.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 5:23
6.gif
8 AM
Author: Diermint
Just to give people a few ideas for the Glossary, here are some of the definitions that I would love to see from experts in the respective fields, especially backed up with pictures:

Rough diamonds

Fancy diamond shapes including good pictures of examples
1.gif

Pictures and definitions of things like 'bowtie', 'feather', 'clouds' etc.

Diamond tools such as: Loupe, Sarin, various scopes etc.

Rings and settings and associated terminology

Pictures of inscriptions on girdles

Pictures of faceted girdles / polished girdles / unpolished girdles

Hearts and Arrows

Diamond simulants

Also, it might be an idea to have a thread where people can request and/or discuss a definition to be posted.

Diermint.

Diermint - Posted Hearts & Arrows material. Still working with some others on the requested terminology for modified girdles.

I cruised and clicked through a lot of your defs. Great work!

Garry and NiceIce items look good. Hest - Nice asscher.

Diermint

Rough_Rock
Fantastic John, you''re a legend!!!
36.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Copyrighted materials.

Hey, guys, this is important stuff. We''re doing it for the first time and trying to find the right way.

We should definitely have an acknowledgement section were we will list everybody who contributed but it doesn''t mean that the book can be considered as free advertisement.

I think if companies want to contribute to the open book project based on free and good will they should permit using their pictures without demanding copyright note for every picture or a bit of text.

If you are a consumer and using images or text produced by other companies or individuals, make sure they are ok with this policy.

Companies and individuals, who allow using their materials for the book, should be announced separately. Let us know in advance.

Important note: if the book will ever be printed, printer resolution pictures will be required (300 dpi).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just trying out one idea here.

How about a "How To" thread next to the Glossary ?

With bits along the lines of:

- How to read a lab (GIA, AGS, EGL, GCAL...) report

- How to ask for what you want

And anything you guys can think of.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Rich''s comment on melees is most insightful.
34.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock

Above pics of melee shown actual size.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
***** 5* melee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results