shape
carat
color
clarity

open basket vs u prong vs trellis, pros and cons?

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am deciding between the following 3 ring settings for a 5 stone ring (5x0.4ct)
- open basket
- u prong
- trellis

I have originally have my mind set on the classic open basket setting, because it seems that the stones are well protected and still accessible for clearning.

However after searching through the forum on posts on 5 stone ring, and seeing the beautiful profile of the diamonds in the u prong and trellis, I am confused.

Ladies, I need your help, if you have any of the 3 settings, can you share the pros and cons (maybe no cons) from you wearing the ring daily?

My main concerns with u prong and trellis is that it seemed that the diamonds are unprotected on the sides, prone to chipping. Is it true? Has it (chipping) happen to you? Any regretting with picking u prong or trellis? Maybe regretting not picking u prong or trellis. I want to wear the ring 24/7, so I want it to be hard wearing.

Thank you all so much for helping!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you mean by open basket? Do you just mean 4 prongs? Please post a picture so we can make sure we're speaking
apple/apples.

How big are your stones going to be? I have a U-prong...see my avatar. No problems. I think I've had it about 5 years. I like
being able to see the side view although I only really see it when I go to look (vs. just happening to see it while you wear it).
My stones are only 20 pointers though.

I have no particular pros/cons to my setting. I really like it though. Side view...
side of 7 stone.jpg

Edit...where are you getting your stones? Who is making the ring?

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Following this! I'm considering a similar piece and want to see how folks weigh in :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @uyalison . I didn't reply before because my 5 stone has a lot of metal on the side. For me and my lifestyle, I wouldn't feel comfortable with all those girdles being exposed as I would often stack my five stone. So I would not choose any of those settings. The metal on my 5 stone extends just a hair beyond the girdle of the stone, and it's built like a tank. Here are pics of my 5 stone.
Of course I understand why many people love the options you posted. They are beautiful. No question about it.
If I were to choose among the three if I didn't care about the girdle exposure, I would choose the U prong simply because it's the most visually appealing to me.

Last edited:

EE3

Rough_Rock
Hi! I had a great experience with my vendor (IDJ) and I ultimately went with the open basket design after much debating between that and the trellis. I still think trellis is prettier but I'm glad I went with the lower profile of the basket. Either way, have fun with this!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I love my trellis five stone. The trellis side has always been a favorite of mine, so it was an easy choice for me. It does make it higher than a shared prong basket, I think mine is about 5mm. I do try to baby it, no wearing while sleeping/cleaning/showering/et cetera. So far I haven’t had any chipping but I have had a stone come loose. I noticed it after I had reached for something on a shelf at Target and bumped the ring on the shelf above. Luckily it was easily tightened by jeweler.

I don’t know that I’d recommend it for someone wanting to wear it all the time though.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love my trellis five stone. The trellis side has always been a favorite of mine, so it was an easy choice for me. It does make it higher than a shared prong basket, I think mine is about 5mm. I do try to baby it, no wearing while sleeping/cleaning/showering/et cetera. So far I haven’t had any chipping but I have had a stone come loose. I noticed it after I had reached for something on a shelf at Target and bumped the ring on the shelf above. Luckily it was easily tightened by jeweler.

I don’t know that I’d recommend it for someone wanting to wear it all the time though.

Thank you @jbake. That is exactly the input that I am looking for.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @jbake. That is exactly the input that I am looking for.

You’re welcome. I can’t tell you how many times I went through the Five Stone thread myself when I was making plans, so I think I know how you feel. Good luck! I can’t wait to see what you you pick out!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I've had the trellis three-stone engagement ring (platinum) in my avatar for 19 years. Originally it was a solitaire trellis, but I upgraded to a three-stone trellis after seven years. I've also had a five stone trellis ring in platinum for about seven year. I've never had any issues with the settings or any damage to the stones. I don't baby my rings. I am fairly rough with them. I always wear my trellis rings with another band, usually my platinum wedding band, and I haven't noticed any damage. I also frequently wear the three-stone trellis ring with the five-stone trellis ring, and I haven't had any issues.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not wear mine every day...probably 4 days out of the week. I dont wear it around the house. I dont wear anything around the house
because they get dirty too easily. I do not stack mine either except with a plain 1.5mm white gold band.

So, maybe I baby mine but its not intentional. Mine is from IDJ. WF stones would be amazing!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a thread with my five-stone trellis (1.25 tcw) and the various rings I pair her with.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks @ItsMsPlease for your input!

This is your ring! I remembered it. It shoots laser beams!

I don't know how to word it. In your setting, does your setting/metal/basket protect the girdle? i.e. are the diamond girdle somewhat protected, less exposed?

Thank you,

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've had the trellis three-stone engagement ring (platinum) in my avatar for 19 years. Originally it was a solitaire trellis, but I upgraded to a three-stone trellis after seven years. I've also had a five stone trellis ring in platinum for about seven year. I've never had any issues with the settings or any damage to the stones. I don't baby my rings. I am fairly rough with them. I always wear my trellis rings with another band, usually my platinum wedding band, and I haven't noticed any damage. I also frequently wear the three-stone trellis ring with the five-stone trellis ring, and I haven't had any issues.

Thank you @mommylawyer/

Below is my concern! It seemed to me in the setting below, if the ring get hit from the sides, or simply dropped on the tiled floor, the metal/trellis will not protect the exposed girdle.

1607037121341.png

I wonder, maybe your trellis setting, the metal/trellis somehow protects the diamond girdle?

Thank you,

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
The girdles on my diamonds don't extend beyond the platinum trellis. The trellis is thick. Here are a few pictures. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but when I run my finger along the side of both rings, I feel the platinum, not the diamonds. The diamonds are protected by the setting. From the side, you can see that the band on the five-stone ring is as wide as the diamonds.

The three-stone ring is 1.66 tcw (1 ct center 1/3 carat sides). The five-stone ring is 1.25 tcw (.25 per diamond). I hope this helps.

IMG_3757.jpg IMG_3758.jpg IMG_3759.jpg IMG_3760.jpg

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The girdles on my diamonds don't extend beyond the platinum trellis. The trellis is thick. Here are a few pictures. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but when I run my finger along the side of both rings, I feel the platinum, not the diamonds. The diamonds are protected by the setting. From the side, you can see that the band on the five-stone ring is as wide as the diamonds.

Hi, @mommylawyer, that is super helpful! That is exactly what I am wondering: whether the diamond girdle is protected by the setting. I guess the answer is: it could, it depends on the setting, I need to double check/confirm with the vendor. Thank you so much. It sounded you really liked the trellis setting, solitaire, then three stone, then five stone!

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do not wear mine every day...probably 4 days out of the week. I dont wear it around the house. I dont wear anything around the house
because they get dirty too easily. I do not stack mine either except with a plain 1.5mm white gold band.

So, maybe I baby mine but its not intentional. Mine is from IDJ. WF stones would be amazing!

Thank you @tyty333, I found pictures of your rings. It is very pretty.

EE3

Rough_Rock
I don't know how to word it. In your setting, does your setting/metal/basket protect the girdle? i.e. are the diamond girdle somewhat protected, less exposed?

Thank you,
[/QUOTE]

The girdle not significantly more protected than a trellis or u-prong but it does have more metal surrounding the side of the diamond. It makes cleaning it a bit if a hassle but I thought it’d be slightly more secure than U or trellis. Another factor is that while I love a trellis setting with 3-D rounded wires and airy swoops, I didn’t think I could achieve that effect with the size of my stones (.30). It’d also need to be set higher than I would like for a 5-stone band. But whatever you choose, it’s going to be gorgeous and you’ll love that band of sparkles :)

Last edited:

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @Tayberry, may I ask how come?

Tiffany shared setting (smallest .27 ct) has always been my favourite, it has an air open basket. All personal preference and I mean no disrespect to the beautiful trellises of pricescope when I share that I find the asymmetry in trellis 'Xs' less pleasing, even a trellis solitaire.

TLDR: idk just what I like

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tiffany shared setting (smallest .27 ct) has always been my favourite, it has an air open basket. All personal preference and I mean no disrespect to the beautiful trellises of pricescope when I share that I find the asymmetry in trellis 'Xs' less pleasing, even a trellis solitaire.

TLDR: idk just what I like

Thank you @Tayberry.

Me too. I really like the open basket setting because of tiffany's. I feel that look is a classic and timeless.

1608318859816.png

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi I was looking for low profile since I work at hospital and take gloves on/off all day. I decided on the u prong and this pic IDJ sent me helped me decide IMG_20201218_134848.jpg

Thank you @colette. That is very helpful. Do you wear you uprong 5 stone ring on a daily basis? Do you have no concern of diamond chipping?

colette

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you @colette. That is very helpful. Do you wear you uprong 5 stone ring on a daily basis? Do you have no concern of diamond chipping?

I wear it 24/7 and it seems very secure, hefty, well made. Doesn't catch on anything, and I'm so rough on my rings. I didn't know how much I would appreciate the view I get when I casually glance down and can see the diamonds from the side or on an angle. My engagement ring on the other hand is 6 prong so the side view isn't all that. I've only had it a month though, so I don't know if i will eventually have an incident. I wanted it for everyday wear and it just feels so comfortable I don't think about it in a worry kind of way. I should just stop now cause I don't want to jinx myself...

chere

Shiny_Rock
@mommylawyer Please could you share the name of the designer who created your 5 stone trellis. TIA!

I have a V prong solitaire, modern cushion cut. The prongs extend past the stone on all 4 sides and act as bumpers. I once knocked my ring really hard on a metal filing cabinet and took it in immediately to get inspected. The stone was fine but slightly loose. The Jeweler was surprised I could feel it.

I'd love to get a 5 stone trellis that's designed the same way.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First a five stone with .40 pointers is going to be lovely and blingy!! A very exciting project indeed!!!

I love to see my cutlets so the uprong and trellis are designs I favor. Uprong is kind of more chunk but Trellis shank is more tapered so looks more sleek to me.

I had a two u prong rings one by bgd and one by mark at brilliantly engaged. I'm naturally heavy handed ( DH teases cause I'm mor rough than him with my hands). Both the uprong rings were extremely durable, stones extremely secure, and extremely well made. Never lost a stone never had any problems. Again very comfortable rings. I also had IDJ make me a 'trellis' 5 stone with 35 point rounds but it didn't look like the White flash and BGD trellis so I wasn't much of a fan, but it was also very comfortable and secure.

Photos of IDJ 5stone wPS quality stones 18k yellow gold
Screenshot_20211026-090652.jpg Screenshot_20211026-090642.jpg

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
@mommylawyer Please could you share the name of the designer who created your 5 stone trellis. TIA!

I have a V prong solitaire, modern cushion cut. The prongs extend past the stone on all 4 sides and act as bumpers. I once knocked my ring really hard on a metal filing cabinet and took it in immediately to get inspected. The stone was fine but slightly loose. The Jeweler was surprised I could feel it.

I'd love to get a 5 stone trellis that's designed the same way.

Hi, I'd be happy to share. Terry at Imperial Jewelry Co. in Chicago created the rings in my avatar, as well as my five stone:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results