shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal ring with a surprise under the setting...

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, put your thinking caps on. I bought this opal ring at my local pawn shop the other day. I left it to have a new shank put on since even though the old one was in fine shape, it was one that snapped open and closed to get the ring over the wearer's knuckle, thus too small for me. When I turned it over, I was very surprised to see some sort of bird under the setting.

Now, for the rest of the story.....the lady who sold it to me said she owned a lot of jewelry (I believe her) but didn't own one single opal because she considers them bad luck if the wearer was not born in October. She was adamant about this and even said not all the holy water in the world could take away the bad luck. Well then...... My excuse for getting away with it is that my birthstone SHOULD have been an opal instead of a sapphire because my twin sister and I came a few days early. (LOL) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Back to the bird under the setting. My saleslady said it was a crow to ward off the bad IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0373.jpg
luck from the stone. I thought it looked like a phoenix.

Seriously....I am loving that blue with the pink stones, which we think may be pink tourmaline but on the colored stones forum someone brought up the interesting point that the dark pink stones could be garnets. I think this ring was meant to be for me. I found it the day after our beloved German Shepherd Dog passed away suddenly at less than three weeks from her 11th birthday. Her collars were always pink so this ring will remind me of her....not that I would EVER need reminding.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I to have heard that opals are bad luck if your B-day is not in October. But I love them so much and have one that , so far, has not caused bad luck. Your ring is beautiful and hopefully you can use that other setting with the bird...so cool.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm leaving the bird as is as a surprise on the underside of the opal setting. I googled October birthstone a few minutes ago and both the opal AND tourmaline are October birthdays so obviously that ring was meant for an October "baby." My poor saleslady....little does she know I have a Jack Guttschneider opal and diamond ring on layaway right now!

As for luck, I do believe we make our own.

I to have heard that opals are bad luck if your B-day is not in October. But I love them so much and have one that , so far, has not caused bad luck. Your ring is beautiful and hopefully you can use that other setting with the bird...so cool.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read a theory that opals being bad luck was something jewelers made up because opals were delicate thus likely to break / be damaged when set. In olden days most jewelry was for royals who could be severe in their punishment for a damaged expensive opal so jewelers said they were bad luck and encouraged the royals to use other stones. Can’t remember where I read that.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We know that opals can be fragile but my jewelry is something I put on before I walk out the door and take off the minute I walk back in every day. Opals have all sorts of myths about them...right down to them being magical...which I have to admit, it totally fascinates me.

I read a theory that opals being bad luck was something jewelers made up because opals were delicate thus likely to break / be damaged when set. In olden days most jewelry was for royals who could be severe in their punishment for a damaged expensive opal so jewelers said they were bad luck and encouraged the royals to use other stones. Can’t remember where I read that.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love this! The opal is gorgeous & the bird is something else!

I believe here in the UK that opals are only thought of as bad luck if you wear them in an engagement ring. That would be a big nooooo.... And my mother says that’s only because opals are fragile & not meant to go through what an engagement ring necessarily would, therefore cracking & being a bad omen.

Do you know when it was made? I absolutely love the pink stones - what an imaginative touch!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous and I love the bird underneath. I think it looks like a phoenix too. I have many opal pieces that I wear a lot. I don't buy into the bad luck theory. I grew up hearing that opals were bad luck if you bought them yourself and that they were fine if they were given as a gift. All of mine were gifted...just saying. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :lol:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had never ever heard it until the saleslady told me but like I said, we make our own luck. If there's a thread where you have posted your opal pieces, please let me know! I would love to see them!! I am just finding some pieces that I like.....or maybe they are finding me!!

It's gorgeous and I love the bird underneath. I think it looks like a phoenix too. I have many opal pieces that I wear a lot. I don't buy into the bad luck theory. I grew up hearing that opals were bad luck if you bought them yourself and that they were fine if they were given as a gift. All of mine were gifted...just saying. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had never ever heard it until the saleslady told me but like I said, we make our own luck. If there's a thread where you have posted your opal pieces, please let me know! I would love to see them!! I am just finding some pieces that I like.....or maybe they are finding me!!

Oh gosh, the threads are all over the place but here are a few pics of my pieces...

IMG_3779[1].jpg
DSC_0114.JPG
And my latest...
IMG_4932[1].jpg

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I have seen some of those.....that necklace(!!!!).... I think it is pure perfection!!!!

Oh gosh, the threads are all over the place but here are a few pics of my pieces...

IMG_3779[1].jpg
DSC_0114.JPG
And my latest...
IMG_4932[1].jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I have seen some of those.....that necklace(!!!!).... I think it is pure perfection!!!!

Aww thanks LorettaB! It is also a pin/brooch and I wear it that way quite a lot.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really followed that thread closely. Didn't you replace the opal....a crack from the prong perhaps? And the new opal was an outstanding match?

My profile photo is also a pendant/brooch I purchased from eBay. It is one of my very favorite pieces of jewelry.

Aww thanks LorettaB! It is also a pin/brooch and I wear it that way quite a lot.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really followed that thread closely. Didn't you replace the opal....a crack from the prong perhaps? And the new opal was an outstanding match?

My profile photo is also a pendant/brooch I purchased from eBay. It is one of my very favorite pieces of jewelry.

I love your pendant/brooch! I almost bought one very similar to it several years ago. Instead of diamonds though, it was opals. I guess it was a good thing I didn't buy it for myself, lol!

Yes I did have to replace the stone. When my hubby commissioned the piece he had my jeweler looking for a matching opal to my ring. She's very picky and she never found one that she liked that would match so I went in and picked one that had more color play. While it wasn't the look I originally wanted I loved that little opal but the bench scratched it at the prongs during setting. So back to square one and she finally found a matching stone to my ring. It's the exact look I wanted in the first place so YAY for that but I miss the color play of the other opal. So now I have added a black opal ring with all the color play to my want it list, lol.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of your jewelry is absolutely gorgeous and as for the opals...they're worth the risk! LOL!!

I love your pendant/brooch! I almost bought one very similar to it several years ago. Instead of diamonds though, it was opals. I guess it was a good thing I didn't buy it for myself, lol!

Yes I did have to replace the stone. When my hubby commissioned the piece he had my jeweler looking for a matching opal to my ring. She's very picky and she never found one that she liked that would match so I went in and picked one that had more color play. While it wasn't the look I originally wanted I loved that little opal but the bench scratched it at the prongs during setting. So back to square one and she finally found a matching stone to my ring. It's the exact look I wanted in the first place so YAY for that but I miss the color play of the other opal. So now I have added a black opal ring with all the color play to my want it list, lol.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course Opals bring bad luck - fear not dear readers - everyone who owns opals can “save themselves” by sending them ALL to me! :wavey:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL!! You are a mess! (That's a compliment!!)

I have grown to love opals because they're like fingerprints.....no two are just alike!

Of course Opals bring bad luck - fear not dear readers - everyone who owns opals can “save themselves” by sending them ALL to me! :wavey:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of your jewelry is absolutely gorgeous and as for the opals...they're worth the risk! LOL!!

Thank you so much LorettaB!!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to chime in to say your new ring is stunning! And with the cool and unusual bird underneath-1great find!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the Middle Ages, opal was considered a stone that could provide great luck because it was believed to possess all the virtues of each gemstone whose color was represented in the color spectrum of the opal. Unfortunately following the publication of Sir Walter Scott's “Anne of Geierstein” in 1829, opal acquired a less auspicious reputation. In Scott's novel, the Baroness of Arnheim wears an opal talisman with supernatural powers. When a drop of holy water falls on the talisman, the opal turns into a colorless stone and the Baroness dies soon thereafter. Due to the popularity of Scott's novel, people began to associate opals with bad luck and death. Within a year of the publishing of Scott's novel in April 1829, the sale of opals in Europe dropped by 50%, and remained low for the next 20 years or so. Nothing revives a trend like a famous patron and in the 1850s Queen Victoria did just that for opals. The Queen kept an impressive personal collection and donned opals throughout her reign. :dance:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Surely the bird underneath is symbolic of something!

Just wanted to chime in to say your new ring is stunning! And with the cool and unusual bird underneath-1great find!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well that does explain it.....that something written in a book (fiction) would make people think it was bad luck...and people just went wayyyy too far with it. The comment from the saleslady: "All the holy water in the world can't get rid of the bad luck from an opal." Maybe she read the same book! LOL!! She was all like, "It's bad luck, but you can buy it anyway! I wouldn't have one...here's your receipt." Oh. My. Goodness!!!

In the Middle Ages, opal was considered a stone that could provide great luck because it was believed to possess all the virtues of each gemstone whose color was represented in the color spectrum of the opal. Unfortunately following the publication of Sir Walter Scott's “Anne of Geierstein” in 1829, opal acquired a less auspicious reputation. In Scott's novel, the Baroness of Arnheim wears an opal talisman with supernatural powers. When a drop of holy water falls on the talisman, the opal turns into a colorless stone and the Baroness dies soon thereafter. Due to the popularity of Scott's novel, people began to associate opals with bad luck and death. Within a year of the publishing of Scott's novel in April 1829, the sale of opals in Europe dropped by 50%, and remained low for the next 20 years or so. Nothing revives a trend like a famous patron and in the 1850s Queen Victoria did just that for opals. The Queen kept an impressive personal collection and donned opals throughout her reign. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results