shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal Pendant Help

kitty224

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescope!

Long time lurker, first time poster here :)

I would like to buy an opal pendant for my mum to mark a special occasion and was hoping for your help.

My mum loves opals and they have a special backstory/significance for her. This is going to be a surprise and I need to have the pendant ready by end of November.

I am based in Melbourne, Australia.

Opal:
Lightning ridge origin
Oval, round or free shape
Solid black opal (would consider semiblack)
Primary colours: Red, green
Prefer broad flashes over pinfire
Not too thin, and no cracks or potch lines

Setting:
18K yellow gold, possible a bezel setting depending on the shape

Budget:
AUD $3500-4000

I have already been to all the opal shops in my area as well as scoured several online opal stores.
I have also had my jeweller call in a few opals for me to look at but they were not satisfactory.
Basically it seems to get the quality I want, I need to have an extra $20 000 to spend, which I don't!
Was hoping you guys could help me with a good compromise.

I have narrowed it down to two choices:
http://opals.net.au/middle-fire.html
This pendant from a physical store I had a look at last week and it is beautiful. My only issue is that it's already set so I can't look at the stone properly without getting it taken out of the setting. Also the setting is 14K gold and I prefer 18K. Plus they wouldn't negotiate on price.

http://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/0-80-ct-black-opal-triangle-gem-7x6x2-8mm/
A nice looking opal online with video, I am worried it may be a bit small (7 x 6 mm) for a pendant, however I contacted them and they assured me it would be bright enough to be seen from afar.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!!! :razz:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi from a fellow Australian (Sydney). It’s hard to source “new to market” quality black opal these days because the Chinese and Japanese have fallen in love with opal and that’s where it goes. Don’t be put off, but there are two set opals currently on eBay Australia. One black other Boulder. Both with a pawnbroker vendor in SA. I’ve bought from this guy and his pieces and prices are excellent and very fair. Both are set in white gold with diamonds, one is $3775 the other $2900. They aren’t spot on to your specs but in terms of look / display both are excellent pieces. And believe me, a new handmade setting in 18ct gold here in Australia for a loose opal is going to be around $1000 by itself. Ps no association with seller

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! Look forward to seeing which opal you choose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results