carat
color
clarity

Opal Mosaic Ring with an interesting history

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
opal mosaic.jpeg

This poor opal mosaic ring has languished in a local pawn shop I frequent for months now. So, today I called my sweet little go-to sales clerk and asked her to put it back for me and I'll go in an put it on layaway this weekend. There's a story behind it. I asked her to see if there was any hallmark and she read it off to me: JG JLRY 14K 585. It's in absolutely perfect condition and seems to have been worn very little.

My research found that this was a piece made by Jack Gutschneider, who sold (modernist) jewelry to high end jewelry stores in the 1950's and early 60's. Some of his pieces have even ended up in "important jewelry" auctions. Someone told me the back of the ring may be black onyx and I didn't take a look at that till but other day. It is also gold. Now, while I don't need another ring AT ALL, I do love one with a good story that's also a fine piece of eye-catching jewelry and worth buying.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very glad you finally brought this ring home! All the orphaned rings need a forever home!
Good sleuthing on this ring's origin.
If only all our vintage pieces came with some history.
When I wear some of my old pieces, I often imagine the excitement when it was chosen in the jewelry store, and the very happy lady who wore it for the first time.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm very glad you finally brought this ring home! All the orphaned rings need a forever home!
Good sleuthing on this ring's origin.
If only all our vintage pieces came with some history.
When I wear some of my old pieces, I often imagine the excitement when it was chosen in the jewelry store, and the very happy lady who wore it for the first time.

For some reason, I think jewelry might have been even more precious then...a truly monumental purchase.

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Wow, this is really cool. I love modernist and brutalist jewelry and this is a wonderful example, also very wearable as it doesn't take the modernist motif to an extreme. I think this is a great purchase for you and definitely an interesting statement piece! Congrats.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a cool and unusual ring. I don't think I could pull it off--I don't have enough style! But I do like it. Very interesting find. I never see stuff like this at the pawn shops around me.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@paperunicorn and @natashacupcake....I don't own an opal but this one really caught my eye. I may not wear it every day but it was very unique. It's been at the pawn shop for a while now...it's really pretty and inexpensive enough that someone should have wanted to purchase it. Maybe it was just waiting for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results