shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal lovers- Pls let me know your thoughts on these stones

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I've never owned a black or dark opal before.
So wanted to buy 1 to 2 smaller stones to see if I like them. What should I be looking for?

I've narrowed it down to these few. I know they are not the thousand dollar stones, and I cannot expect too much from the colours. These are inexpensive.
But wanted to see if I like them in person before I upgrade for something prettier, brighter etc. I fell in love with on on 1stdibs for many many thousand of dollars. None of these come close in size or colour haha. But wanted to try the Opaldirect website, as they have some cheap stones to play around with. I know BlackOpal Direct has some beautiful ones, but they are pricer for a starting stone.

So Thoughts on which stones you like? and why or why you don't like them?

And not sure if photos will look anything like the actual stone. But since these are inexpensive, the loss isn't great if I don't like them.
I know they are not apples to apples in colour or style.. but hope someone can give me some pointers to look out for. They are not for investments, so resell is not an factor for me.... but also don't want to buy something that isn't great.

Links have Videos. I dont own the contents nor videos, just asking for advice. If this isn't allowed, let me know.

Stone 1:
1598541118858.png
(this one is a little smaller than I want, but love the rainbow flash)

Stone 2:
1598541174919.png
This one is a dark opal- but colours are well spread out.

Stone 3:
1598541363421.png
This one is the best value for size and colour is nice. But I dont know what the back looks like- not sure if it has chips and such... waiting for seller to respond about that

Stone 4:
1598541510052.png
Is this too clear-to be considered a black opal? Is this more a crystal opal? Is the clearness not as good of a stone?!

Stone 5:
1598541657430.png

This one for sure is not like the others, its a lighter "dark" opal, but love the colours in it. Its the most expensive of the choices.
I tend to actually gravitate to the dark opals rather than the black or very dark opals.

Attachments

• 1598541321289.png
    1598541321289.png
    885.2 KB · Views: 9

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I bought a small dark opal from that site recently. Red and orange are more expensive than green and blue. You would want good play of colour at as many angles as possible. I.e. you don't want one that only looks good from the left.

Are you open to doublets? I had favourited some:

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I bought a small dark opal from that site recently. Red and orange are more expensive than green and blue. You would want good play of colour at as many angles as possible. I.e. you don't want one that only looks good from the left.

Are you open to doublets? I had favourited some:

Thank you for your reply. :) Did you find that the seller on OA's photos were accurate for the colouring of the Opal?

Have you had any issues with your doublets? I worry they arent as durable, I'm not super careful and worry I might delaminate (not sure the proper gem term) the stone.

Are there any on my list that you think is nice?

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
It depends on the seller. There are good and bad. I prefer ones that have a video.

I didn't buy a doublet. I bought this and I'm very happy with it. https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/095ct-black-opal-stone-lightning-ridge-cs217-874930

You shouldn't get doublets wet because of the glue, but otherwise I would treat doublets and solid opals with the same care.

Of your stones, I prefer stone 2 because it has strong colours over a large area.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
@paragon1234 GORGEOUS! Yes this seller has nice stones.
Did the stone look like her photos?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I like stone no. 5 the most followed by stone no. 2

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I like #2 and #3 out of your pictures. I'd always go solid opal if you have a choice. There are many varieties and colour/patterns so lots to explore!

Thank you @GliderPoss I appreciate the feed back. #2 I placed a bid on too! Opals are so fun! Newly discovered Australian Opal. I've been living under a rock all this time :) #3 I'm wondering if I should grab too!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
At heart I'm a #5 girl first. But wonder if it defeats the purpose of a Dark/Black Opal.

well, yeah.. there's that. theres only two black/dark ones to choose from so in that case i'd go for no.4 BUT my favorite is still no.5 then no. 2 then no. 4.
im sorry im not much help.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
well, yeah.. there's that. theres only two black/dark ones to choose from so in that case i'd go for no.4 BUT my favorite is still no.5 then no. 2 then no. 4.
im sorry im not much help.

Thanks! It helps for sure. :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think no 2 is the best. It shows more colours at any angle.
always check the “top / down” view, as that’s the one you’ll see most.
No 5 has a few potch haze sections looking “top down” so that wouldn’t be my pick.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I think no 2 is the best. It shows more colours at any angle.
always check the “top / down” view, as that’s the one you’ll see most.
No 5 has a few potch haze sections looking “top down” so that wouldn’t be my pick.

Thanks! Good tip. Seems like #2 is a winner! So hard to see how they will look online! But we are so lucky to have the ability to shop the world online :)

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I like #5 because of the colours, but #2 does "perform" better. Have you made a final decision? :)

@paragon1234 Do you have any advice on how to avoid getting a ring wet? Do you have to remember to remove your ring every time you go to the bathroom?

@Bron357 Can you please elaborate on the "potch haze" so that I know what to look for as well? Does this refer to the greyish areas? Thanks!

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
@paragon1234 Do you have any advice on how to avoid getting a ring wet? Do you have to remember to remove your ring every time you go to the bathroom?

I don't trust myself to remember to take a ring off, so I don't own any opal doublet rings. I'd consider doublets for a pendant though.

I only own an Australian opal ring. Australian opals are not water permeable (unlike Ethiopian opals) so I don't worry about getting them wet, unless it's very hot water. I read that sudden temperature changes can cause then to crack. I wash my hands with cold water (the hot water takes too long to get through the pipes!) and it's been fine.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I have placed an order already for #2!!!. I had 3 other ones in my cart, some dark, and one water opal (completely clear- I know its not worth much, but i liked the way it looked). None ended up being a Black Opal. lol. I guess unless its really tiny, or really good quality the black opals don't look so nice.

I should get them sometime this week.

All are supposed to be Austrillian Opal, solid :)

So far the seller and even OpalAuctions has been very communicative. I had some technical hiccups with my order, and all parties have been helpful.

I'll update the chat once they arrive. :)

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I like #5 because of the colours, but #2 does "perform" better. Have you made a final decision? :)

@Bron357 Can you please elaborate on the "potch haze" so that I know what to look for as well? Does this refer to the greyish areas? Thanks!

Hi @emeraldhummingbird As per your question: Can you please elaborate on the "potch haze" so that I know what to look for as well? Does this refer to the greyish areas? Thanks!

If you look at Stone 5, there is some grey marks/cloudy on the stone, thats Potch haze.

Or this stone: See the center part, there is a cloudy grey circular pattern. That on this stone is the Potch Haze.

1598888431397.png
1598888457483.png
1598888500404.png

OR
1598888620698.png

Its almost like a fogginess where the colours want seem to want to be brighter but are covered up by a cloud.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Hi @emeraldhummingbird As per your question: Can you please elaborate on the "potch haze" so that I know what to look for as well? Does this refer to the greyish areas? Thanks!

If you look at Stone 5, there is some grey marks/cloudy on the stone, thats Potch haze.

Or this stone: See the center part, there is a cloudy grey circular pattern. That on this stone is the Potch Haze.

1598888431397.png
1598888457483.png
1598888500404.png

OR
1598888620698.png

Its almost like a fogginess where the colours want seem to want to be brighter but are covered up by a cloud.

Thank you, that is so so helpful!!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Yay! I got my opals from OpalAuctions!

The ones I purchased are:

The actual photos are attached.

I am surprised pleasantly and not so pleasantly.

First if all, I'd say I've realized my Samsung phone captures the play of colour and brightness better than what my eye sees.
Side note: I took a photo of my existing opal ring and it proved to be the same, my ring in photographs looks phenomenal. In reality, just like the Opals ordered online, is less vivid.

The
The clear crystal opal which was the cheapest of the 4 is much more brownish grey clear in person and surprising pretty colors of play vs sellers photos look more colorless clear with colour of play.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
oops I pressed post before I finished:

The one everyone voted is way less grey/dark opal background than sellers photos, has a slight grey undertone. Pretty colors but more green than the rainbow colors from sellers photos.

The other inexpensive one also in sellers photos looks more white in person for sure then sellers photos and the colors don't contrast the background of the body as much as photos.

The pretty pink flash one in sellers photos is a crystal opal and is pretty in person. My favorite of the whole order.

My takeaway lesson: Seller photos are more darker body and the colors are brighter and more vivid. I don't think it was deceiving, but how cameras pick up the colors of the opals play of colour, as my own cell camera did too.

I think sellers also photograph in a darker setting and lighting.

I would only buy really vivid stones from sellers photos, expecting a less vivid stone in person. This seller is highly reviewed and is great feedback and many many sales. So they were trust worthy. I had a hiccup with my transaction and my account accidentally got deleted, but seller helped me get my order proper!

Actual photos below. Different lighting and background.

Attachments

• 20200908_204131.jpg
    20200908_204131.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200908_204020.jpg
    20200908_204020.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200908_203913.jpg
    20200908_203913.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200908_203743.jpg
    20200908_203743.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200908_141655.jpg
    20200908_141655.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200908_141255.jpg
    20200908_141255.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 19

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Opals are INCREDIBLY difficult to capture in a photo; the best way to describe it is that you're trying to capture with a single lens in one image, while your brain gets a composite image from two lenses (your eyes) in HD video.

Believe me - I would know how bloody hard it can be at times :rolleyes:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't trust myself to remember to take a ring off, so I don't own any opal doublet rings. I'd consider doublets for a pendant though.

I only own an Australian opal ring. Australian opals are not water permeable (unlike Ethiopian opals) so I don't worry about getting them wet, unless it's very hot water. I read that sudden temperature changes can cause then to crack. I wash my hands with cold water (the hot water takes too long to get through the pipes!) and it's been fine.

I now know i have the perfect hot water system to own an opal !

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
@jordyonbass Yes!! So hard to do. But so far the opals I'm real life are a little less vivid and bright to me with my eye. But I can see almost all the colors the lenses can capture.. just not as brightly. I wonder if it's because mine aren't high end opals? Any idea?

I wonder if I splurge on an expensive opal if it's the same, where photos will still be more vivid.
Or are they all the same?

The opals are still pretty to my eye, though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Type of camera really matters I think. Any sort of intelligent or automatic filtering or processing will juice the colours up more than reality - phones are the worst offenders!!

I use my Canon fully manual for opals and pearls. That way I can adjust white balance, colour temp, and exposure in-camera and avoid any post-processing.

I will say that the first opals I owned were pretty mediocre, and coaxing colour out of them was a struggle - they were beautiful in very specific lights and from very specific angles, but very #Meh otherwise. The first time I saw a really “good” opal I was blown away by how nice it looked from all viewing perspectives, and how play of colour remained strong across various lighting environments. But I agree that OpalAuction vendor photos often overrepresent brightness - IMO even accounting for camera autocorrections.

Last edited:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@jordyonbass Yes!! So hard to do. But so far the opals I'm real life are a little less vivid and bright to me with my eye. But I can see almost all the colors the lenses can capture.. just not as brightly. I wonder if it's because mine aren't high end opals? Any idea?

I wonder if I splurge on an expensive opal if it's the same, where photos will still be more vivid.
Or are they all the same?

The opals are still pretty to my eye, though.

The vendors look to have quite a good photography setup; nice warm lighting and they're probably using a high-end camera as @yssie has mentioned. We previously used a Canon 700D with a Canon EF2.8 100mm macro lens but have since upgraded the lens to the EF2.8L 100mm and to a Canon 5D full frame sensor camera (what an absolute monster of a camera!). This kind of equipment is still leaps and bounds ahead of phone technology and probably what the vendor uses, so if photography is your thing then it could be worth a look!

High quality Opals with vivid colourplay do tend to be a lot easier to photograph than commercial grade stones. If you splurge on a stone you'll probably find the photos and videos will show the colourplay much easier, especially if the stones aren't directional but instead show you colour from all angles.

Last edited:

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I ended up setting all 4 of the opals. A local jewlery store is retiring so I got some ring settings at a good price! I had a vintage Welo (I think) ring, and swapped it into a new setting. And put one of the 4 opals into my old ring setting.

Great for every day wear!

I'm so happy the bench helped me set the elongated opal horizontally. He had to cut an existing round setting and helped me to widen it. It looks so vintagey!

20200925_123520.jpg 20200925_123710.jpg 20200925_123803.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results