shape
carat
color
clarity

opal help

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, all. It's been some time since I posted. I used to lurk (and sometimes participate) much more frequently 10-15 years ago. This community has been so helpful as I've gone in and out of gem obsession.

Anyway. I'm currently reviving a ring project I started a long while ago. I'm collecting birthstones to have a stacking ring set made. I've decided to set my sights on an opal next.

What vendors should I seek out for quality opals? I don't want synthetic, treated, heated, etc. I don't know a ton about opals, so please tell me anything and everything you think I should know.

The stones I'm collecting are really fairly small ~5mm. I've had some vendors shy away from working with me lately bc of that. I would *love* a precision cut or carved specimen, but since I'm working with such small stones, idk if that's something I'm going to be able to find.

Thanks on advance for any help, tips, pointers, etc.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping some opal experts would answer this. But since no one has turned up...

You could start with the GIA page:
https://www.gia.edu/opal-quality-factor

I'm guessing you want opal with play of colour, as opposed to (e.g.) Peruvian opal or fire opal without play of colour - these are valued for their body colour, not for play of colour.

All opals are different. It's not just that there are different types - black, white, crystal, boulder etc. - but every opal has its own unique colours and patterns. It really is a matter of what you like.

On colour, there is a sort of scale - opals that show longer wavelength colours (oranges and reds) are rarer and more expensive. But you don't have to follow this. Maybe you like midnight blue opals or green and blue opals. Then you can follow your taste and save some money.

5mm is pretty small for an opal. There should be enough colour blocks to make the opal interesting, but the colour blocks should not be too small to see properly. This is hard to accommodate in a small opal.

Be aware that opal vendors like show their stones in the best possible lighting. In any case, opal colours are practically impossible to photograph accurately. You should always look at the videos, to see how the flashes move. But there is no substitute for seeing opals in person.

Treatments are not big problem (except for smoked Ethiopian opals). The main traps are synthetic opals, doublets and triplets. If you deal with reputable vendors, you won't get these.

Soseattle

Shiny_Rock
Here is a reputable source for calibrated opals: https://www.nwgems.com/collections/...ustralia-extra-fine-grade?variant=18299951364

They do have various quality levels and types. I personally would not use an Ethiopian (Welo) opal for a ring. They are hydrophane and can absorb substances like water and oil based products that can damage them unless you are very careful. That being said, opals don't stand up well to hard wear and tear.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a reputable source for calibrated opals: https://www.nwgems.com/collections/...ustralia-extra-fine-grade?variant=18299951364

They do have various quality levels and types. I personally would not use an Ethiopian (Welo) opal for a ring. They are hydrophane and can absorb substances like water and oil based products that can damage them unless you are very careful. That being said, opals don't stand up well to hard wear and tear.

Is there a way to set them that could mitigate some of that risk?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, opals are low on Mohos so they aren’t suited for everyday wear in a ring.
The two main types of colourful opal are Ethiopian / Welo or Australian.
Ethiopian opals are more wallet friendly but are hydrophane, this means they absorb water and also oils and lotions so you need to avoid wearing them swimming and avoid lotions and perfumes or they discolour and lose colourplay.
Australian opals come in a few different types and also as solid, doublets or triplets. Black Opal is very expensive, white opal is cheapest.
There are quite a few synthetic opal makers, some better than others. Chose reliable vendors.
Opals aren’t heated or treated other being assembled as a doublet or triplet. A doublet is a thin slice of precious opal glued to a backing, perhaps potch (which is opal with no colour) or even plastic. A triplet is as before but with a plastic or crystal dome over the top.
The rarest and most expensive colour in opal is red, the cheapest green. Patterns also influence pricing, like broad flash or checkerboard. Pin fire is most common.
Also, the extend of the colourplay affects pricing, it’s rare that 100% of the face shows colour. There is often “dead spots” where no colourplay shows.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yvonne at Cecile Raley Designs often carries opals and could likely source something the size you want. She also makes stacker rings. I suggest her bc with the delicacy of opal it could be beneficial to buy your opal from the same person who will set it. That way they will take responsibility for the stone during setting. Also, in the case of CRD you know they are experienced setting opals safely.

This black opal is close to the size you want at about 5 x 6.4mm

Her little stacking rings are pretty inexpensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results