shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal "Eggplant" Pendant

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
In the past year, I realized opals were like the final frontier in my gem collecting journey. Their play of color, created by the ordered mingling of silica spheres, was represented by a lone stickpin in my collection...so I naturally went down a rabbit hole and buying spree.

I envisioned an opal drop piece and found a suitable Australian black opal from Chroma (formerly Seda) Gems. There are a couple minor gray sand lines visible with magnification that I don't care about 'cuz the blue green pattern is so earthy and pretty.
1000001571.jpg 1000001576.jpg
I sketched my idea for David Klass and he promptly offered practical suggestions, with example images from his portfolio of prior pendant creations, to guide me. This was invaluable for me since I hadn't pieced together a custom pendant before.
1000002013.jpg
After deciding on a filigree backing and adding a trifid motif lifted from the Lang Antiques archive I approved the CAD...until I didn't and had second thoughts within a few days. It was nagging at me that the diamond melee should be a bit larger by 0.2 mm for improved visibility. I summoned the inspirational spirit of @mrs-b and made a phone call to DKJ that I wanted the melee changed. This was as painless as possible, thanks to their clear communication, such stellar customer service. The initial casting was scrapped, Amy sent me an updated CAD to approve, and we were good to go.
1000002040.jpg 1000002041.jpg

See above, PS design enthusiasts, for the trifid/tri-lobed detail. The final piece evolved from my initial idea into a bit more organic look that I termed my opal eggplant pendant: 1.55 carat opal drop accented with 0.08 ct tw single cut diamonds in 14k white gold. Very pleased with the proportions, finish, and subtle sparkle of the single cuts. Ta da!
1000003471.jpg 1000003472.jpg 1000003473.jpg
1000003207.jpg 1000002653.jpg 1000002590.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That does remind me of an eggplant! What a fun project and a beautiful opal.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the past year, I realized opals were like the final frontier in my gem collecting journey. Their play of color, created by the ordered mingling of silica spheres, was represented by a lone stickpin in my collection...so I naturally went down a rabbit hole and buying spree.

I envisioned an opal drop piece and found a suitable Australian black opal from Chroma (formerly Seda) Gems. There are a couple minor gray sand lines visible with magnification that I don't care about 'cuz the blue green pattern is so earthy and pretty.
I sketched my idea for David Klass and he promptly offered practical suggestions, with example images from his portfolio of prior pendant creations, to guide me. This was invaluable for me since I hadn't pieced together a custom pendant before.
1000002013.jpg
After deciding on a filigree backing and adding a trifid motif lifted from the Lang Antiques archive I approved the CAD...until I didn't and had second thoughts within a few days. It was nagging at me that the diamond melee should be a bit larger by 0.2 mm for improved visibility. I summoned the inspirational spirit of @mrs-b and made a phone call to DKJ that I wanted the melee changed. This was as painless as possible, thanks to their clear communication, such stellar customer service. The initial casting was scrapped, Amy sent me an updated CAD to approve, and we were good to go.

See above, PS design enthusiasts, for the trifid/tri-lobed detail. The final piece evolved from my initial idea into a bit more organic look that I termed my opal eggplant pendant: 1.55 carat opal drop accented with 0.08 ct tw single cut diamonds in 14k white gold. Very pleased with the proportions, finish, and subtle sparkle of the single cuts. Ta da!

i love that
well done
i would wear that in a heartbeat
i like the diamonds as they are much more than a regular halo

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
That's lovely and looks really good on you. Wear it in good health!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

1000002013.jpg

It looks great on you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice job, @asterismdispersion! I love the way it's come out! And increasing the size of the melee was *obviously* the right way forward; the balance is lovely.

The design is so individual (I rarely say unique regarding jewelry anymore because, as soon as I do, I immediately stumble over similar pieces!) and I love seeing those pieces you know you're not going to run into a zillion other times! This is a lovely, clean design - which I think was one of the benefits of increasing the melee size; it's a more obvious design component, rather than a lacy little detail, y'know?

What a great piece - such a nice addition to your collection! Congratulation and wear in good heath always.

ETA Great side profile, too!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packs a lot of punch! Petite but not dainty. Love the asymmetry. And, of course, the ocean-y opal.

Beard threw me a little in the final photo which proves that I am not just a victim of -- but also a perpetuator of -- gender stereotypes here! :cool2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beatiful opal in a great setting and looks wonderful on you. Congrats, if you're like me then this is just the start of an opal obsession, lol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love the opal--packs a punch!

cheers--Sharon

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the other side.
As an Aussie I was always bemused that so many people here thought them “bad luck” and avoided them like the plague. Worked in my favour, got myself some special pieces many years back.
They truly are magical and no two the same.
There’s a guy on You Tube - who BlackOpalDirect who cuts some amazing pieces and owns some astonishing pieces too.
Your pendant is gorgeous btw.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results