shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal earrings - bargain buy of the year me thinks.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F7AC5AE2-5BAE-483A-AEFB-F40E10262B3F.jpeg 962CD6CA-9D0C-4B2B-ADB5-7B5735F96DD1.jpeg 4BBE69E7-81F5-4F35-B913-668EB06A3F39.jpeg 5E757690-5D02-494A-957A-CE21A1058AAC.jpeg 687116B7-CA17-43C4-98DA-3B93BE210E96.jpeg Hi fellow Opal lovers.
Sometimes you just have to go “how did that just happen?”
Maybe I’m on a roll and $220 is my magic number.
The other week I scored a Wedgwood Fairyland Plate at auction albeit with a less than 1 inch hairline crack, not broken just a hairline crack, for $220. A $40 repair and it will perfect. Oh, and same plate, no minisule repair selling for around $7,000 Aust on eBay.
Yesterday at an Auction, looking at the furniture and porcelain pieces. Ohhhh, they have a jewellery auction upstairs! I’m up those stairs quick smart.
A pair of Opal earrings, screw back (but easily converted to pierced).Set in 18ct gold, 10 grams worth. So in Aussie dollars that’s around $300 melt weight excluding the opals.
The opals, I immediately assume triplets and I can’t check the back it’s fully enclosed. It is rare to see such colorful opals that haven’t been “assisted” (Triplets are 2 thin layers of opal on a black/ dark colour back with an clear acrylic dome and can look spectacular). Still, they are really pretty so I leave an absentee bid for $400.
Down stairs again looking at furniture I fumble for my glasses again, Hey, I have my Loupe in the bottom of my handbag, so back up to the jewellery again. Those earrings under the Loupe I’m looking and I’m looking. I look again.
These are solid opals, these are solid black opals. These are 20mm x 10mm opals. Sigh, oh well they will be going for $$$$.
Didn’t even bother checking my emails last night.
Hubbie says this morning “Oh, by the way you got those earrings for $220”.
No way.
Even just scrap gold value is more than $220.
Here they are (iPhone photos, nothing special)
And now Im thinking, these are too nice for earrings that I can’t see and enjoy so maybe make 2 rings instead?
One to keep one to sell ?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F7AC5AE2-5BAE-483A-AEFB-F40E10262B3F.jpeg 962CD6CA-9D0C-4B2B-ADB5-7B5735F96DD1.jpeg 4BBE69E7-81F5-4F35-B913-668EB06A3F39.jpeg 5E757690-5D02-494A-957A-CE21A1058AAC.jpeg 687116B7-CA17-43C4-98DA-3B93BE210E96.jpeg Hi fellow Opal lovers.
The other week I scored a Wedgwood Fairyland Plate at auction albeit with a less than 1 inch hairline crack, not broken just a hairline crack, for $220. A $40 repair and it will perfect. Oh, and same plate, no minisule repair selling for around $7,000 Aust on eBay.
Yesterday at an Auction, looking at the furniture and porcelain pieces. Ohhhh, they have a jewellery auction upstairs! I’m up those stairs quick smart.
A pair of Opal earrings, screw back (but easily converted to pierced).Set in 18ct gold, 10 grams worth. So in Aussie dollars that’s around $300 melt weight excluding the opals.
The opals, I immediately assume triplets and I can’t check the back it’s fully enclosed. It is rare to see such colorful opals that haven’t been “assisted” (Triplets are 2 thin layers of opal on a black/ dark colour back with an clear acrylic dome and can look spectacular). Still, they are really pretty so I leave an absentee bid for $400.
Down stairs again looking at furniture I fumble for my glasses again, Hey, I have my Loupe in the bottom of my handbag, so back up to the jewellery again. Those earrings under the Loupe I’m looking and I’m looking. I look again.
These are solid opals, these are solid black opals. These are 20mm x 10mm opals. Sigh, oh well they will be going for $$$$.
No way.
And now Im thinking, these are too nice for earrings that I can’t see and enjoy so maybe make 2 rings instead?
OMG spectacular!!!!! Great job!!

And if you sell one I want dibs please! Your new opals really took my breath away, and I could easily see using one for a ring too :geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2:. I admittedly don't know much about opals but ever since PB and mrs-b shared theirs I've become a greater admirer of them :appl:

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
What a fabulous find! :kiss2::kiss2:

I would keep them as earrings or pendants personally, because I'd be afraid to accidentally bump and scratch one as a ring. But I totally understand the urge to be able to see them when you wear them...

There's no wrong choice as long as you wear them. ;)2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:
What a fabulous find! :kiss2::kiss2:

I would keep them as earrings or pendants personally, because I'd be afraid to accidentally bump and scratch one as a ring. But I totally understand the urge to be able to see them when you wear them...

There's no wrong choice as long as you wear them. ;)2
Thank you.
I have a 16 year old daughter who has absolutely no interest in jewellery (how is this possible) just now home from school. I showed her my new treasure.
“Oh yes” she says “I’ll be wearing those”
Ah ha, finally.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you.
I have a 16 year old daughter who has absolutely no interest in jewellery (how is this possible) just now home from school. I showed her my new treasure.
Ah ha, finally.
Haha YESSSS! So glad she’s finally taking an interest!

Stunning opals Bron- great find!!!

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Incredible bargain! Congrats :appl:

Is there an wasy way to tell the difference between triplets and full opal stones with a loupe ? Are there some clear telltale marks to point towards one or the other?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way.

:shock: How about bargain of the century! Gorgeous opals and for that price??? GAH!!!!!!!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you.
Ah ha, finally.
Now you know she just hadn’t seen the right piece of jewelry until she saw these.

Q

Queenie60

Wow. Great find. Beautiful opals

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is a great, great find. Impressive earrings and what a fantastic price. Congratulations on your score!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bron, great find! If it's of interest here's a link to last week's opal auction in LA, the opals start at around lot 3067 and go thru Lot 3196:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24618/?category=results#/aa0=1&w0=results&m0=0

I think you'll find some very good news when you compare the colour patterns of your opals with those that sold at this auction. I suspect yours would have been well out of my price range. :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incredible bargain! Congrats :appl:

Is there an wasy way to tell the difference between triplets and full opal stones with a loupe ? Are there some clear telltale marks to point towards one or the other?
Triplets are pretty easy, you just need a side on view to see if the “colour” goes right up to the top of the dome. Triplets, construction (backing, opal slice, clear dome top) always have a clear top and you’ll see “no colour” in that section.
Doublets are harder because they have no “top”, it is a thicker slice of opal attached to a porch or black backing. However, most doublets are “flat top” ie no dome. Mine have a dome top so it’s either a solid opal or a better quality doublet ie more opal. You need to be able to check either the back or the full side edge to look for the telltale join.
Triplets aren’t necessarily a “bad” option, in fact a good quality one might have a quartz or synthethic white sapphire top dome so it will wear much better in a ring (more resistant to scratches) than natural opal. You just want to make sure to pay the “triplet” price.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amazing story @Bron357!!! Congratulations. These are so beautiful and to find they’re solid black opals... swoon. :love::love::love:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people have all the luck! :dance:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone.
A little more research makes me realize that well matched black opal pairs, of any size, are pretty rare. Opals are all so individual and unique that finding two similiar isn’t easy.
I am still agog that no one else wanted them!

Aino

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Triplets are pretty easy, you just need a side on view to see if the “colour” goes right up to the top of the dome. Triplets, construction (backing, opal slice, clear dome top) always have a clear top and you’ll see “no colour” in that section.
Doublets are harder because they have no “top”, it is a thicker slice of opal attached to a porch or black backing. However, most doublets are “flat top” ie no dome. Mine have a dome top so it’s either a solid opal or a better quality doublet ie more opal. You need to be able to check either the back or the full side edge to look for the telltale join.
Triplets aren’t necessarily a “bad” option, in fact a good quality one might have a quartz or synthethic white sapphire top dome so it will wear much better in a ring (more resistant to scratches) than natural opal. You just want to make sure to pay the “triplet” price.

Thank you for the very informative reply Bron! :)) I have wondered about this ever since I saw an antique tv show featuring opal jewelry. They are not so common in Europe and I would love to find a bargain like yours!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
02155512-CD18-4F28-8784-41A7472FFA7C.jpeg 28D64BC8-5140-4317-A4EC-1A79D648B3CD.jpeg 09D46B61-BCAF-45F3-BA70-292FAFD4B3C3.jpeg And because I have way too much time to play in the pretties..... still looking at options for my hundreds of little tourmalines.
I think the rubelite version looks quite nice.

voce

Ideal_Rock
02155512-CD18-4F28-8784-41A7472FFA7C.jpeg 28D64BC8-5140-4317-A4EC-1A79D648B3CD.jpeg 09D46B61-BCAF-45F3-BA70-292FAFD4B3C3.jpeg And because I have way too much time to play in the pretties..... still looking at options for my hundreds of little tourmalines.
The rubellite version does look very nice. Something about the green halo clashes. I also like the blue stones around it. What are those blue stones?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those opals are just beautiful. What a great find! Congratulations!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW at the Bonhams auction the vast majority of the opals were not set, even the smaller ones. I got the distinct impression that's how the "collectors market" prefers it. There were a small number of opals that had been set into pendants and rings, but most of them did not even meet their reserve prices.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are living the collector's dream with these great estate finds!

A double red and blue halo would be awesome too!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Fantastic find, Bron357! The rubellite looks gorgeous around those opals. I wish that more people thought to use colored melee when setting opals.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the party but what a fantastic find Bron!

You know since you have two you could always gift one to a special person, sorry I don't know if you have kids but if not for a daughter maybe a lifelong friend or someone very special.

Whatever the case they are spectacular, I hope they bring you much joy!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
706E4731-A02F-43F6-8057-F62BF436624E.jpeg A28A4B4D-1D41-482B-BB1F-9678C4E437EB.jpeg
FWIW at the Bonhams auction the vast majority of the opals were not set, even the smaller ones. I got the distinct impression that's how the "collectors market" prefers it. There were a small number of opals that had been set into pendants and rings, but most of them did not even meet their reserve prices.
The pricing of opals has always been a complete mystery to me.
Some of those pieces where “museum quality” and their prices reflected that.
I think that because each opal is so individually, unless it is huge and in a rare pattern, it either appeals to a buyer or not.
I have a bracelet with crystal opals, these are a “cheaper” variety of opal (white is cheapest) but they are my absolute favourite opal.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful find @Bron357! And what an amazing story!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
706E4731-A02F-43F6-8057-F62BF436624E.jpeg A28A4B4D-1D41-482B-BB1F-9678C4E437EB.jpeg
The pricing of opals has always been a complete mystery to me.
Some of those pieces where “museum quality” and their prices reflected that.
I think that because each opal is so individually, unless it is huge and in a rare pattern, it either appeals to a buyer or not.
I have a bracelet with crystal opals, these are a “cheaper” variety of opal (white is cheapest) but they are my absolute favourite opal.
Fabulous bracelet Bron. I think the black opal market may be more like stamps or American baseball cards in that pricing is not dependent on beauty, but more on the rarity of their colors and color pattern. We could not figure out at all how those opals were valued, but obviously the collectors could because, in most cases and over a very wide range, the hammer prices came out pretty close to the presale estimates.

I agree that crystal opals can be very beautiful, in fact it was mrs-b's fabulous crystal opal that inspired us to start looking at opals, and that was before we knew black opals were supposedly more desirable. Perhaps when it comes to opals one has to trust one's own judgement on the beauty of a particular stone, and ignore where it was mined or what the market says about pricing.

Of course that shouldn't stop you celebrating the find of a lifetime, or in your case, the second find of a lifetime!!! :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rubellite version does look very nice. Something about the green halo clashes. I also like the blue stones around it. What are those blue stones?
That is the $64,000 question!
I have a lot of them, like hundreds! They are tiny, only 2 / 3mm so it’s hard to apply the normal tests to them.
Not glass, paste, CZ, quartz, synthetic sapphire, synthetic spinel or natural sapphire.
So real something, they test (thermally at least) as high tourmaline / iolite or low tanzanite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results