shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal as e-ring side stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
kicking around the idea of a round diamond center with pear shaped or trillion shaped opal sidestones....

is this feasible? durable? do people think it would it look nice?

it''s my birthstone and I love them. But, I never see them in engagement ring settings, and am wondering why. I guess the only really popular sidestones are the precious rather than semi-precious, so maybe it''s just a percecption of value / fanciness?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love opals, especially nice fiery ones!! i think the reason you don''t see them in e-rings is because of durability. opals aren''t that hard and get scratched very easily. that''s why you see them more in pendants and earrings. that''s not to say you couldn''t have them in your ring, you would just have to keep it in mind. best of luck in finding what you want!!
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
while it would be lovely, it would be impractical....unless you plan to wear the e-ring only rarely, for special events. how about a lovely wedding necklace pendant?

i love the look of opal, especially the black and boulder opals, and especially since my husband is australian. however, it is less than ideal for an e-ring.

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2005 90:20 PM
Author:katrina_33

I never see (opal) in engagement ring settings, and am wondering why.
Sidestones haven't seen either... perhaps because opals would need to be cabs and the setting is complicated ?

Opal inlay is another thing. Several designers make opal inlayed pieces including wedding bands and mountings intended for e-rings. Two names come to mind: David Freeland (definitely click!) and Kevin Jones (link)

2-opal.jpg

freeland2-ring.jpg

Settings and ring guards included
5.gif
platinum too...

gr104a.jpg
gr590.jpg

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Those are nice Valleria but I can''t help thinking about how much opal they wasted to get the cambered affect.

Anyhow, it is definately something worth thinking about.

If they are well protected and of a high grade then your all aces and the designer/jeweller will have the credit if making a very nice ring.

Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results