shape
carat
color
clarity

oops did I post in wrong forum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flakeee

Rough_Rock
couple questions:
1. Does the age of the diamond effect the value? I mean, my mom left my daughter (from reading this forum and other diamond appraisal sites) a pretty nice stone...The only papers we have with it came from the jewelry store where she bought it..I guess for insurance purposes. Those papers are 10yrs old. So does a diamond depreciate? haha....is that the word I'm looking for?
2. If the diamond is already set in solitaire ring with 14k yellow gold what would the added value be?
3. How do I not get ripped off if I wanted to sell?

flakeee

Rough_Rock
Ok, lemme go 1 step further....what do you all (and you all do seem like experts to me) think the value of : Ladies Solitaire ring set in 14k yellow gold, 1 round cut, brialliant dia, 1.c fine color G/H, clarity is very slightly included?:love:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No one can really hope to give you an accurate answer because we don't know how accurately the diamond was graded. Also, if the diamond has been damaged since it was last examined is problematic.

A 1ct round diamond, of average cut, H, VS2 will liquidate for about $3,000 to dealers who buy and pay immediately. This is less than wholesale, but it is a dose of reality.

Wholsale and retail values will be a lot higher and you can easily research values (prices) with a Pricescope search..

flakeee

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply Oldminer. The diamond is in excellent condition. My mom probably only had it 6 months before she died, and it's been in a safety dep box since then, about 10yrs.
I am so unknowledgeable about this subject, so, are you saying if I think we could sell it for more, I should spend the money to get a more recent appraisal? How much would that be? Also, what would you recommend would be the best way to go about selling it for the most $$$? My daughter just graduated from HS, and is about to start college and she would like to purchase a decent car. Unfortunately we need to sell the ring to help her with that. As much as we hate to sell, I'm sure my mother would have approved of her decision.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should visit the local places that buy jewelry. From those people you will get a concept of what you can get locally from "cash" buyers. I'd expect their offers to be the lowest range of prices you will recieve.

Some of them may have enough knowledge to give you a clue to the color, clarity and weight, too. Ask a little about that from each of them. Maybe one or two is a GIA Gemologist type. Most won't be.

Don't spend money on an appraisal unless you really want to take your time and sell it to a retail consumer or on E-Bay.

If you want my offer, you can send it to my office for an immediate bid, too. Only the shipping expense is involved if you don't live around Philadelphia.

flakeee

Rough_Rock
What's the process for shipping it to you?
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results