shape
carat
color
clarity

Online vs Local?

jabrake88

Rough_Rock
I have already purchased a setting/diamond online from James Allen but was also working with a local Jeweler to see what he was able to do for me as he was convinced he could get me a better deal than I'd find online. I went ahead with the order so I can guarantee I'd have the ring in time from James Allen if I went with them, I figured with the 30 day 100% returns it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
From James Allen the setting I'm getting is http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...-micropave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-51012 and the diamond I chose http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-906366

The Local Jeweler will have the setting custom made to be similar to what I wanted at James Allen and he brought in a stone for me to look at. He was able to go bigger in size (.97 vs .81) by sacrificing some of the quality, I have concerns about that though as I am a little bit of a perfectionist... Anyways the stone he found me is GIA certified (2175381867) but it didn't have the full information on the report, missing the Cut, Crown Angle and Pavilion Angle. My other concern is that it's listed as a "Round Modified Brilliant" but we don't know why the modified part. He is going to his supplier to see if he can request that info (I called GIA but they won't release info unless your the original client of record) but he's not sure they will be able to get that info for him (sounded pretty sure they will not be able to, actually). Below is the info on the diamond he found, do you think the increase in size is worth the sacrifice? He said he believes the angles would be right within perfect spec based on the table/depth when also looking at the overall dimensions.

James Allen Diamond GIA Report: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2175470060
Code:
Price:$3680
SHAPE:	ROUND BRILLIANT
CARAT WEIGHT:	0.81
COLOR:	H
CLARITY:	VS1
CUT:	True HeartsTM Excellent
POLISH:	Excellent
SYMMETRY:	Excellent
FLUORESCENCE:	None
L/W/D (MM):	5.99*5.97*3.69
L/W RATIO:	1.00
DEPTH %:	61.70
GIRDLE:	Medium - Slightly Thick
TABLE %:	56.00
CULET:	None
CERTIFICATE:	GIA
CROWN ∠:	34.50
CROWN %:	15.00
PAVILION ∠:	40.80
PAVILION %:	43.00

Clarity Characteristics: Cloud, Pinpoint

Local Shop GIA Report: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2175381867
Code:
Price: $3775
Shape: ROUND MODIFIED BRILLIANT
Measurements: 6.28 - 6.30 x 3.86 mm
Carat Weight: 0.97 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI2
Depth: 61.5 %
Table: 54 %
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Faint
Clarity Characteristics: Twinning Wisp

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA does not provide the cut grade or proportions (except table and depth) on round modified brilliant or any fancy shaped diamonds. You have to actually see the diamond, or need the actual photo and IS scope image.

This is a red flag for me becauae the jeweller has no idea what hes offering to you
Second, polish and symmetry are only "good".

It is hard to believe a local jeweller can BEAT JA's price. They may be able to MATCH, not BEAT.

But you will be able to see the stone in person. If you like it, then it is a different story.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, most times, "custom" is not returnable. Modified means "altered from standard". Like extra faceting, etc.

and the local guy has an SI2 to JA's VS1 stone.

It's hard to compare apples to tomatoes.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ringo865|1455837695|3992726 said:
FYI, most times, "custom" is not returnable. Modified means "altered from standard". Like extra faceting, etc.

and the local guy has an SI2 to JA's VS1 stone.

It's hard to compare apples to tomatoes.

Hi jabrake88 - This is excellent advice from ringo865 - while I can't comment on the stones specifically, a 'modified round brilliant' is not the same as a 'round brilliant'. ‘Modified’ means that it’s not exactly the standard facet arrangement. It may be as simple as extra facets, or it may be something else such as a proprietary branded cut which is completely different from the standard round, which may only really share the 'round' face-up outline/shape. So while it may be a beautiful diamond in its own right, it may not be wise to use the same comparison criteria for both stones.
An additional word of caution...if the person selling you a diamond doesn't really know anything about that diamond...perhaps you may not be getting the best value for your money...regardless of the price... :think:
Good luck

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No comparison.

jabrake88

Rough_Rock
Great, thanks everyone for the advise. Seems it's a consensus that the JA diamond is a better deal. To add to that I just realized they changed it to True Hearts as it was only an excellent cut when I picked it (not sure how that works being changed after the GIA grading).
I'm going to proceed with the JA order and since I have seen the local one in person I can judge once I get the JA diamond if the size difference was really that important to loose all this quality, I'm guessing not even after seeing though :D

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
jabrake88|1455894732|3992915 said:
...To add to that I just realized they changed it to True Hearts as it was only an excellent cut when I picked it (not sure how that works being changed after the GIA grading).

Branding/marketing...has nothing to do with GIA or the grade they've given it.
Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results