shape
carat
color
clarity

Online vs. bricks and mortar, opinion of stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YoavShapira

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking for the perfect ering for a while: my sweetie definitely wants a princess cut. I''d like to get a high quality stone and am willing to pay for it. I don''t want the stone to be too large (my parent are rather conservative and I don''t want them to perceive her ring is too gaudy; my sweetie agrees with this).

So we''ve been shopping for a while, and saw a gorgeous ring we both love at a high end bricks and mortar store. Its specs are as follows:
- Princess cut, 1.05 carat, F color, VS2 clarity, good polish, good symmetry
- Fluorescence: none
- Girdle: slightly thick to thick
- Culet: none
- Depth: 79.8%
- Table: 72%
- Measurements: 5.91 x 5.26 X 4.20mm

It appears clean to the eye, very sparkly and fiery, we love it. We also love its setting, a tapered platinum band with two matching (F/VS2) trillion stones, 0.47ctw for the side stones.

My concern is with the price: $10,900 for the whole thing, $8100 for the center stone alone. I think I can get a similar stone online for MUCH cheaper. If I got it online, I''d want it set in this setting, which the store is willing to do.

So:
- What do you think about the stone?
- What do you think about the price?
- If I get a stone online, have the store set it, and the stone cracks during the setting process, I''m screwed, right?

I''m afraid that if I get a stone online with similar specs, I won''t like it as much, subjective judgement trumping the specs.

Your expert opinion and advice is appreciatd! Thank you
2.gif

And congrats to everyone who''s gotten engaged lately!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
JMO but at $8100 for that diamond, you'd be getting royally screwed. Take a look at this for example: http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_32ct_f_vs1.htm

or this:
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=1903008

The setting you describe is quite common and there is no reason any online diamond vendor couldn't make it for you at the B&M price or better. Like you, I would be concerned about a jeweler setting a diamond I didn't buy from him. He would not be liable for damage that may occur to the stone, but please know that you have other options. For less than the B&M price you were quoted you could be getting a bigger and better cut diamond.

But whatever you decide to do, best of luck!

YoavShapira

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply fuffi.

So how can I get around this danger of the diamond being damaged in the setting process? Do any online dealers cover that? Let's say I buy the stone I like from one online dealer, and have it set by another online dealer. What happens if the stone is damaged in the setting process?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/1/2003 3:46:14 PM YoavShapira wrote:

So how can I get around this danger of the diamond being damaged in the setting process

----------------

As Fuffi said, it's a very common setting. I don't see why the dealer you buy the diamond from can't also get you the same setting.

mag308

Rough_Rock
I am also thinking of buying a diamond online, but want to design my own ring with a local jeweler. Are they really not liable for damage to the diamond? Does that happen very often?

-mag308

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
I purchased the stone online (saved alot of money including sales tax) but purchased the setting locally. In doing so I felt I had the best of both worlds: 1) Online savings for the stone 2) Local support for the ring (free inspections, adjustments, cleaning etc...) I had the stone/ring insured through Chubb so there were no worries. Make sure that you and the jeweler both agree on the pristine condition of the stone before letting him mount it (in writing). That way, should he damage the stone while mounting, there will be documentation of the condition before the mounting. This will protect both you and him.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 10/1/2003 4:38:30 PM mag308 wrote:

I am also thinking of buying a diamond online, but want to design my own ring with a local jeweler. Are they really not liable for damage to the diamond? Does that happen very often?

-mag308
----------------
No, they aren't, and no it doesn't. Look (and ask around) for a established local store that has an experienced in-house bench jeweler (many stores don't). You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results