shape
carat
color
clarity

Online versus boutique

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

weakknee

Rough_Rock
HI there, I'm having n engagement ring setting designed for my gf, I have finalized the design and have just got the quote form the boutique on the diamonds they have to go in it, looks something like this

1.01ct F VS1 11553usd
1.04ct F VS2 9950usd
1.19ct E VS2 12306usd

All are triple excellent cut which I assume is hearts and arrows? I am based in Singapore.

I have been on to James Allen and Whiteflash and their prices seem better but I do not know where to start looking to choose one diamond form another. I put in my parameters and there are literally tens of diamonds to choose from. I am a bit stuck on the Pricescope Diamond cut quality search as it is showing results that I do not really understand (table, girdle, etc), I have read about them but I'm no expert.

For instance - http://www.jamesallen.com/search_results.asp?cid=131&step=SearchResults&sbmt=1&shape=Round&carat_from=0.3&carat_to=12&price_from=&price_to=&fromtabledepth=&totabledepth=&fromtablesize=&totablesize=&x=92&y=11%20Cut%20Diamond

or

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1982329

I am not sur eon 'normal' sizes but she is a smallish girl so nothing that will look out of place. Is it better to go a little bigger in carat and less clarity or color for example?

Appreciate your advice
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Hi Weakknee welcome to PS

A triple ex diamond does not mean it is H&A''s, it also doesn''t mean it will be a top performing diamond either ;-).

The easy way to search using the PS tool is to click the AGS0 and GIA box (if your after a H&A diamond click that as well) pop in your maximum budget and the carat sizes your looking for and see what it brings up. Find a diamond/s you like post them here and we can help you evaluate them :D.

As for size, some girls prefer higher clarity/colour smaller stones others prefer lower clarity/colour bigger stones neither is right or wrong it just depends on personal preference - if you buying as a surprise I would go for a balance of colour/clarity/carat to be on the safe side?

Did you have a particular set of parameters you are after?

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
hi Weakknee,

just want to shout you a welcome plus i''m from Singapore too... what a shame the Merlion got struck by lightning har?
38.gif

anyway... want to let you know i got my setting plus stone from an online vendors as well, and subsequently my future wife''s wedding band and her valentine''s day present (pendant and chain)... my own wedding band is also being custom made as of right now (due to my huge, oversized size 15 finger
3.gif
)...

and i couldn''t be happier with what i have received... i actually overdid myself and busted my original budget a little but take it from me... its worth every cent of it coz i would''ve gotten a lot less for the same amount of money if i had went to one of our local brick and mortar shops...

from what i know... another fellow S''porean also had good experience with his buy here as you can see from his thread here (hope you don''t mind me linking your thread sctutor
2.gif
)... my own thread is expired i think coz its over 14 days old..... and there will be more and more S''poreans coming here for their diamonds.. i know, coz i have been sending people this way... heehee...

i hope mine and sctutor''s experience can help boost your confidence.. and no worries about the quality of the diamond... the people here are always helpful to help you find your perfect stone and ring as long as you let them know what you are looking for and the budget you have in mind...

all the best to you...
21.gif

weakknee

Rough_Rock
Thanks Deelight - yes if only I could ask her what she preferred.....
2.gif

I''ve had a read of a very good post just now looking at a 1ct ring which gave me the following

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

Budget is 11000usd or thereabouts

Found these just now on James Allen

http://www.jamesallen.com/search_results.asp?cid=131&step=SearchResults&sbmt=1&shape=Round&carat_from=0.3&carat_to=12&price_from=&price_to=&fromtabledepth=&totabledepth=&fromtablesize=&totablesize=&x=92&y=11%20Cut%20Diamond

But was also interested in the points mentioned on not choosing over VS1 and colour above G or H wouldn''t make that much of a difference once mounted?

And attached are some from pricescope of interest. Is the price quoted to me by the boutique more than I would expect to pay online?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 7:22:57 AM
Author: blastdoor
hi Weakknee,

just want to shout you a welcome plus i''m from Singapore too... what a shame the Merlion got struck by lightning har?
38.gif

anyway... want to let you know i got my setting plus stone from an online vendors as well, and subsequently my future wife''s wedding band and her valentine''s day present (pendant and chain)... my own wedding band is also being custom made as of right now (due to my huge, oversized size 15 finger
3.gif
)...

and i couldn''t be happier with what i have received... i actually overdid myself and busted my original budget a little but take it from me... its worth every cent of it coz i would''ve gotten a lot less for the same amount of money if i had went to one of our local brick and mortar shops...

from what i know... another fellow S''porean also had good experience with his buy here as you can see from his thread here (hope you don''t mind me linking your thread sctutor
2.gif
)... my own thread is expired i think coz its over 14 days old..... and there will be more and more S''poreans coming here for their diamonds.. i know, coz i have been sending people this way... heehee...

i hope mine and sctutor''s experience can help boost your confidence.. and no worries about the quality of the diamond... the people here are always helpful to help you find your perfect stone and ring as long as you let them know what you are looking for and the budget you have in mind...

all the best to you...
21.gif
Ditto Blast and Dee. Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

weakknee

Rough_Rock
trying to upload pic from pricescope screen shot but cannot see it...

Attachments

• dm1.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 254

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 7:38:14 AM
Author: weakknee
trying to upload pic from pricescope screen shot but cannot see it...
Try renaming the file to something unique and don''t use any unusual characters. If that doesn''t work then email the image to admin who will post it for you.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 7:51:55 AM
Author: Lorelei

Try renaming the file to something unique and don''t use any unusual characters. If that doesn''t work then email the image to admin who will post it for you.

and note the file size, there''s a 100kb limit..

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 7:31:14 AM
Thanks Deelight - yes if only I could ask her what she preferred.....
2.gif

I've had a read of a very good post just now looking at a 1ct ring which gave me the following

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%

table - 54- 57%

crown angle - 34- 35 degrees

pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees

girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc

polish and symmetry - very good and above

and Lorelei, this just has "you" written all over it.. i'd recognize those good advise anywhere anytime...
9.gif

this is just one of the many proofs of what a huge help you, and of course all the other experts here, have been to new people like WK and myself..
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Your welcome :), do you know your GF's finger size? Another good guide is to look what her friends and family wear and try to aim for something around the same size ;-). Personally I think a 1ct is a lovely size and anything over that is a bonus
1.gif

The stats you posted is Lorelei's cheat sheet she is like one of the helpful resident RT posters :). As colour and clarity they are merely personal preferences, I personally went with an E/VS1 but I would have also been happy with an F/VS2 and even and eyeclean SI1 but that is what was available at the time in our budget and size reqs ;-).

For many people the G/VS2/SI is the sweet spot because you are not paying the premium for a colourless diamond and no one but the most colour sensitive people could tell the difference between say an f and a g and if you can't see the inclusions no one is ever going to know what clarity your diamond is :).

weakknee

Rough_Rock
From memory size 15...but I could be wrong

What about these

Diamond Info 10840usd
Stock Number: 1194431
1.2 carat
Cut: Ideal
Depth: 61.10%
Table: 54%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin
Measurement: 6.96*6.89*4.23
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1194431.asp

Or

Diamond Info 8650usd
Stock Number: 1203986
1.1 carat
Depth: 61.00%
Table: 55.8%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Measurement: 6.67*6.72*4.08
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1203986.asp - seems a low price?

Diamond Info 11070usd
Stock Number: 1185067
1.3 carat
Depth: 61.20%
Table: 57%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Measurement: 7.01*7.05*4.30
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1185067.asp

Tougher than I thought...
23.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Is that a US size 15? because that is a fairly large size.

I like number 2 and 3

I would ask for an IS to confirm that is nice :).

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
i think you might be referring to size 15 Japanese / Asian Sizing, which is commonly used in Singapore.. that converts to roughly 7 1/2 US Sizing...

i really suggest making sure if you intend to order the stone AND ring from overseas, coz it can be really troublesome if you need to have it re-sized eventually...

weakknee

Rough_Rock
What's an IS? Sorry....

I took one of her rings into a shop to get it sized in Singapore so you may be quite right blastdoor, i'm getting the setting made here so no problem...I might check again just to be sure!

Also out of interest, why 2 or 3 over 1?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
oops Idealscope image it the red and black image you can see on this diamond that shows if there is any leakage :).

If your interested in either diamond I would reserve them while making your choice lurkers have been known to snatch stuff ;-).

ETA: 2 and 3 have better cut proportions then 1 :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 9:10:21 AM
Author: Deelight
oops Idealscope image it the red and black image you can see on this diamond that shows if there is any leakage :).

If your interested in either diamond I would reserve them while making your choice lurkers have been known to snatch stuff ;-).
Ditto, diamond poaching goes on quite a bit these days.

weakknee

Rough_Rock
OK next silly question, how do I do that? Have put them in my JA shopping basket but dont want to checkout and pay for them both...could be interesting!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:18:45 AM
OK next silly question, how do I do that? Have put them in my JA shopping basket but dont want to checkout and pay for them both...could be interesting!!!

Give them a call

thier contact details are here http://www.jamesallen.com/contact_us.asp

GL :).

Just wanted to add if your getting the ring made in singapore make sure to get insurance on your stone before you get it set because most vendors will not take responsibility for diamonds that aren''t theirs during setting :).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 9:22:11 AM
Author: Deelight

Date: 3/4/2009 9:18:45 AM

Give them a call

thier contact details are here http://www.jamesallen.com/contact_us.asp

GL :).

Just wanted to add if your getting the ring made in singapore make sure to get insurance on your stone before you get it set because most vendors will not take responsibility for diamonds that aren''t theirs during setting :).
Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results