shape
carat
color
clarity

Online purchasing of a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wcduke

Rough_Rock
Hi. I am relatively new at this site and I am looking to purchase an engagement diamond. I found one at my local, trusted, jeweler and was quoted a price of $2000, plus band and setting which will total $2700.

I did a search on this site and saw very similar stones at a price of approx. $700.

My question is, what other costs come with that internet price of $700? I would assume there are some additonal costs that need to be added, such as the cost of the band, a cost to set the stone into the band, shipping, etc.

So, basically, what might my final cost be (obviously knowing that the cost of a band can vary greatly)?

I am hesitant to spend this kind of money over the internet, but I want to give this option a fair shake. Hopefully I provided enough info here to get my question answered, but if I did not, please ask for what I am missing and I will try to provide it. I plan on checking here regularly.

Thanks!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the vendor. It''s impossible to lump all the Internet vendors together just as it''s impossible to lump all B&M vendors together. Perhaps if you tell us what Internet vendor you''re looking at?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
In this instance, the shortest route to the answer should be the direct one, I think. That is, the same place that would offer the diamond you''ve found should have a selection of bands (ring to set the diamond in, and wedding band?) you could choose between, often visible on their web site. So, perhaps after having selected the (band and ring), call them and ask them. The prices for these things can be somewhat variable, so if they''re not posted, you could just ask.

The vendors listed here and certainly here have been given the once over by the powers that be here....also by many posters here (which you can search on, based on previous posts, for extra insight), and I think are generally reliable.

Best of wishes,

wcduke

Rough_Rock
After doing my search on this site, the vendors that resulted that had comparable diamonds were Whiteflash and GoodOldGold. Hope that helps with an answer!

Thanks

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
What are the specs of the stone you are looking at and is $2700 your budget? Gold Old Gold and WF have good stones. I''m surprised that your trusted jeweler would ask for almost 3 times what a stone sells for at GOG and WF.

Post what you are looking for and people here will help you.

wcduke

Rough_Rock
OK, here are the specs.

Round, brilliant-Hearts on Fire, Hearts and Arrows
certified
.341 carats
F color
SI 1
Measurements 4.52-4.56 x 2.77 mm
Ideal Polish
Ideal Symmetry
Ideal Proportions
Table-55%
Depth-61%
Crown angle -34.2%
Crown height - 15.2%
Pavillion angle - 41.1%
Pavillion depts - 43.4%
Pointed culet

As far as budget goes, I have no "real budget". I just want to get something in the .30 -.40 carat range, very well cut, F-H color, and VS or SI clarity and not overpay for it. That's about it.

Thanks!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Wait, the local jeweler''s stone is a Hearts on Fire? That explains the inflated price. HoF diamonds are branded hearts & arrows diamonds that cost a lot more just due to the brand name, without necessarily looking better than other brands or unbranded stones. Sort of like you can get a Burberry scarf at one price, but a non-Burberry for much cheaper.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Also, is there a reason you don''t want to go larger than .4?

wcduke

Rough_Rock
I am not looking larger than .4 carat simply because my soon to be fiance doesn''t want anything larger. Call me lucky!! haha

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
I say if the one you liked was a branded stone why not look at the Whiteflash A Cut Above stones. I saw one that was comparable to the one you listed and it was only $693. I don''t see how spending $2,000 on a similar stone is worth your while. I bought from Whiteflash and could not be happier with the service, my stone or my setting which they made for me. I thought buying on the internet would be very scary and now that I have been through the process I can''t wait to have more money to purchase something else with. Best of luck.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2004 3:45:33 PM
Author: wcduke
OK, here are the specs.

Round, brilliant-Hearts on Fire, Hearts and Arrows
certified
.341 carats
F color
SI 1
Measurements 4.52-4.56 x 2.77 mm
Ideal Polish
Ideal Symmetry
Ideal Proportions
Table-55%
Depth-61%
Crown angle -34.2%
Crown height - 15.2%
Pavillion angle - 41.1%
Pavillion depts - 43.4%
Pointed culet

As far as budget goes, I have no ''real budget''. I just want to get something in the .30 -.40 carat range, very well cut, F-H color, and VS or SI clarity and not overpay for it. That''s about it.

Thanks!
That''s quite a bit to pay for a .34 SI1 F, even if it''s a Heart''s on Fire. I''ve seen HoF in stores and to me they look no better than well cut H&A stones. If fact I would go so far to say that a Good Old Gold or WhiteFlash ACA for 700-800 would hava good chance of looking better.

IMHO, $2000 is overpaying. You could get the same or better stone for far less or a much bigger stone for the same money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results