shape
carat
color
clarity

Online prices too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BreenCP

Rough_Rock
I've recently visited about 5 jewelers in my neighboorhood and have found their prices to be about double of those listed from several of the online vendors here at pricescope for diamonds of the exact same 4-C characteristics. These local jeweler's swear they pay way more than the prices here and that they could't go anywhere near those prices. Then I hear the famous "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." line. Here's what I'm looking at....50ct VS1 H (4.40x4.14x3.31mm) Jeweler: $2,339 PriceScope: $922-$1,205.52ct VS2 E (4.61x3.99x3.24mm) Depth 81.2% Table 85% Jeweler: $2,700 PriceScope: $1,255 - $1,586How are these prices possible? I went to a total of 5 jewelers with printouts of PriceScope's prices and they all said "NO WAY!" I would very much like to take advantage of these great online prices but I'm so afraid it will turn out to be "too good to be true"Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
BreenCP,Well, it is true, only true and nothing else but true.
smile.gif
Because of the low overhead the markups are extremely low in the Internet. And we know many stories of happy customers. See these threads for example:
http://www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000143.html
http://www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000112.html Lawmax, who's your neighbor from SC, has put together some essential moments about buyng over the 'net: www.pricescope.com/isitsafe.asp As for the local jewelers who cannot get diamonds for that prices themselves... Lawmax bought her EightStar diamond from StevL who is very good local jeweler (Columbia, SC) and gemologist and posting here too. He's definitely can get diamonds from the same source as all Internet vendors.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Someday you may find that on line prices were too good to be true for many of the present body of on line vendors. I recognize the value of low overhead, but many of these sellers will go on to some other line of work that pays better in a few months or a few years. Right now, this diamonds on the 'net thing is a popular business model.In terms of longevity and service, I give the best chances to real stores that decide to compete while making local people their long term customers. I don't think you'll always find diamonds being sold at such low mark-ups as we see today on the internet, but while it lasts, go for it!------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Leonid is right, there are advantages with local jewelers- but not price.
Actually, the only advatage is being able to repair your ring because you live close to one. The fact is, many online and private dealers should offer repair services for you at no additional cost. I am a private dealer and I have customers all over the country and in Europe who send me their engagement rings for their annual inspections (check security of stones,polish,re-size)- all free of charge.
Customer service is the KEY to success.
Ask about that to whomever you're looking to buy jewelry whether its next door or 2000 miles away.
Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Lawmax you are right, thanks. I fixed the typo.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are local jewelers that will compete with net pricing, they will not match them, but they will come within a few percent or a few hundred dollars depending on what your looking at.The local will also oofer you services that will well exceed the slight premium, and can be a friend for life.To find these type of local jewelers is hard, but spend some time looking and there may be one in your area.------------------

kms.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results