shape
carat
color
clarity

online or retail?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetpea75

Rough_Rock
Hi. I am new to this site and I''m looking for some assistance. My boyfriend is getting ready to propose (yes, we have discussed the impending proposal and he IS proposing in the next 6 months...he wants it to be a surprise) and we''ve been out to look at diamonds in the retail stores (Jerod etc.) but I am interested in finding out if it''s better to purchase online to get a better deal. He knows what I like now but we want to make sure we get the best ring for the best price. Any suggestions? I''ve looked on Union Diamond as well as Whiteflash but I''m not very experienced in all of this. I am looking for a round stone, preferably .75 or higher but really want a 1 ct. stone that is D-H, VS2 and higher (if that''s even good???). He has already picked out the mounting which is a halo style with an estate look. Anyway, I would love suggestions to pass along to him.

Thanks!
17.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, are you local to Union Diamond or Whiteflash?

being local to a mostly online retailer is the best of both worlds.

Lots of people here like SI stones.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Welcome

As a BTDT I chose to buy online (I went with whiteflash). They are an amazing company and very reputable. When you buy at a retail location, you are paying extra for their overhead cost. If you find a reputable place online, it's very safe and you will most likely (as many of us have) gotten more bang for your buck!

What's your fiance's budget? I know you want 1ct but if you go just below say .95ct...the savings will be noticeable but the diamond sz really won't.

There are many ppl on here that can assist you in finding an amazing stone.

If you go with Whiteflash and their ACA stones...you will have a great stone!

BTW I LOVE HALO's! (as you can see in my avatar). GL
35.gif

one more thing...if your budget is tight..you can go lower on color and clarity (H, SI2 as long as it's eye clean) and still be able to get a stone with an amazing cut.

snowbird3599

Rough_Rock
just bought a ring from JamesAllen.com, great experience and they check if the stone is eye clean or not for me. First time wiring 6K for something I didnt even see, but all work out will. Just note the return policy, so you can return it if you dont like it. set a budget out, a lot of PSer can help you.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on where you are in the States, you can make an appointment to visit the vendors and select the stone in person instead of having it shipped to you.

James Allen is in Maryland (I think)
Whiteflash is in Houston, TX
Engagement Rings Direct is in the NYC diamond district
Good old Gold is on Long Island, NY
Pearlmans Jeweller is somewhere in Wisconsin
Wink Jones is in Boise, Idaho

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 7:27:24 PM
Author: Chrono
Depending on where you are in the States, you can make an appointment to visit the vendors and select the stone in person instead of having it shipped to you.

James Allen is in Maryland (I think)
Whiteflash is in Houston, TX
Engagement Rings Direct is in the NYC diamond district
Good old Gold is on Long Island, NY
Pearlmans Jeweller is somewhere in Wisconsin
Wink Jones is in Boise, Idaho
New website is www.highperformancediamonds.com

sweetpea75

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post!

My boyfriend''s budget for the stone is around $3500 to $4000. I would love something that is round, .8 to .95. It will be set in a holo style mounting with between 1/2 and 3/4 carat diamonds with two matching bands on either side.

I will look into the options people have suggested.

Also, anyone purchased from Costco before? Someone recommended them to me but i wasn''t sure.

Thanks!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to chime in that I am now a huge fan of online diamond shopping and highly recommend you look into the reputable vendors listed on here. I''ve had experience with Whiteflash and can''t recommend them enough. If you want SIZE, stick with the H-I range. I have an H VS2 cut by whiteflash and it is icy and crazy sparkly. Also try Brian Gavin''s new company. I don''t have a link for it but I''m sure someone could find it for you. Don''t forget that a really great cut is going to be the most important factor if you want sparkle. Have fun!

sweetpea75

Rough_Rock
Hi Kelli. Thanks so much for your encouragement and suggestions. I will check out both. When you say cut, you mean the VS1, 2, etc., right?

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 5:42:32 PM
Author: sweetpea75
Hi Kelli. Thanks so much for your encouragement and suggestions. I will check out both. When you say cut, you mean the VS1, 2, etc., right?
No, VS1 and VS2 represent the clarity of the diamond (amount of inclusions found in the diamond) not the cut. Diamond cut is the most important of the four Cs. A good cut gives a diamond its brilliance, which is that brightness that seems to come from the very heart of a diamond. The angles and finish of any diamond are what determine its ability to handle light, which leads to brilliance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results