shape
carat
color
clarity

Online or Local??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cas1

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a 1 ct princess cut diamond for an engagement ring. We have found a local jewler who we like and will create for us a very nice custom setting. However, before he can do so I need to decide on a center stone. I am considering buying the diamond from this jewler, but his pricing seems to be well above some of the online stone prices I have found at Adiamor, BlueNile, and Whiteflash.

I told the local jewler that I was considering bringing in my own stones for the setting. He seems to have no problem setting outside stones in the custom ring. However, he says that he can find me better stones than anything I can find online.

I have read in many posts that you cannot judge a princess cut by numbers alone. I don''t understand this and was hoping someone else can give me their opinion. When my jewler calls his supplier in search of a diamond for me, doesn''t he reference these same "numbers" that I do in an online search? If I enter my specifications, with restrictions for only the top cuts, polishes, symmetry, fluorescence, etc., won''t I end up with the same quality stone that my jewler would?

I am looking for around a 1 ct. princess cut, minnimum VS2 and preferably with D color, ideal/premium cut. Here''s an example of one of the online stones that caught my interest.

0.97 ct
D color
VS2 clarity
"Premium" cut as defined by Adiamor
Excellent Polish
Very Good Symmetry
Depth 73.3%
Table 70%
Medium to Thick Girdle
5.42x5.35x3.92mm
Fluorescence: None
Certification: GIA
Price: 4371

Will someone with more experience please give me some input. I''m a "numbers" kind of guy and just have a hard time seeing how the stone "picked" by my local jewler for $2k+ more will shine more than something similar to the above stone. Thanks very much for your input!

CS

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
The only standardized and meaningful grading for ideal for princesses is done by AGS. And...unlike for rounds, it''s not very meaningful to ask for any particular angles for facets. You just ask for the zero from AGS. Unfortunately, I do think these are hard to come by on the open market, which is why I think James Allen offers none, and why Excel use to feature these, but no longer does.

You could, though, buy an aset, and between your dealer and yourself, try to get smart shopping for these. A problem, though, would even be in specifying what to call in.

Try to request an AGS 0 and see if that will work, I''d say.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
By the way, CS, welcome.

Aset info...

Search here on Princess & ideal & aset to find out the connections...

Regards,

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re a numbers guy, the only number that matters is 0. AGS 0.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 1:53:29 AM
Author: JulieN
If you're a numbers guy, the only number that matters is 0. AGS 0.
Indeed - the above will help you get closer to a well cut Princess. Also it is really best to use a vendor who can supply ASET ( see Ira's link above) images and detailed photos especially if you are shopping online, even for AGS0 Princess.

cas1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. So if I was to sum this up, the general concensus is that unless you can inspect the stone in person or see an electronic image of the stone, it is a bit of a "you get what you get" type of buy?

Is that then what justifies the price jump from around $4,500 dollars (above referenced stone) to almost $7k for some stones with very similar specifications like this one: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3777/?

In your opinions... am I wasting my time with sites like Adiamor, BlueNile, Whiteflash, etc? Thanks again.

CS

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 9:54:58 AM
Author: cas1
Thanks for the replies. So if I was to sum this up, the general concensus is that unless you can inspect the stone in person or see an electronic image of the stone, it is a bit of a 'you get what you get' type of buy?

Is that then what justifies the price jump from around $4,500 dollars (above referenced stone) to almost $7k for some stones with very similar specifications like this one: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3777/?

In your opinions... am I wasting my time with sites like Adiamor, BlueNile, Whiteflash, etc? Thanks again.

CS
Yes. That is why it is so important to work with vendors who have in house Princess of excellent cut quality ( AGS0 or GIA handpicked) and can provide the images and photographs needed in order to make an informed choice. As to price jumps there can be many reasons, but a vendor who has inventory diamonds with all the info provided and benefits such as buy back or upgrade policies can rightfully charge more than a vendor who drop ships or just flips the diamond.

Whiteflash are an excellent vendor ( www.whiteflash.com ) and you can purchase from them with confidence as they do not drop ship, but have in house hand selected diamonds.

BN do not offer any info on the diamonds apart from the grading report which is so essential IMO to help you pick a well cut diamond. I don't know much about Adiamor.

Also you can try -

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.exceldiamonds.com

The above vendors often have top cut Princess available.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results