shape
carat
color
clarity

online fraud

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

james

Rough_Rock
I believe that I may be the victim of fraud from an online diamond seller. The seller has listed the exact same diamond (that I should recieve tomorrow) with same GIA report under another item number. He erased my listing (which I have saved as a file on my computer).

What likelyhood is it that two diamonds were graded on the same day with the same exact specifications?

If I am the victim of online fraud is there anything more than just returning the diamond that I should do?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Rook

Shiny_Rock
How exact are the specifications? Are the measurements the same?

Do you mind sharing the company and maybe telling us more about the diamond and the id# so we can look at the vendor?

For right now try to keep good records of what is going on just incase it does turn out to be fraud. There may well be a justified excuse though so I don't want to jump to conclusions yet.

Once you get the diamond, if you think there may be fraud still, see if you can have at least one other person open the package with you, or open it at a appraiser's office. That way if they sent you something bogus, you will have a witness to attest that you did not switch the stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if you don't get the diamond tomorrow then you will know! :(

Though even if you get the diamond, I would have it immediately appraised and make sure that it matches the GIA cert. If a diamond was posted with the SAME exact GIA number, that could be fraud..or it could also be a mistake. Was the seller pretty reputable, did you do research on their business practices before purchasing?

Keep us posted on what happens tomorrow with the arrival of the diamond. You could also try calling up the company and speaking to your rep/owner regarding the thought..if you feel that it might just be a mistake. You could also feel out their reactions. Just a thought..good luck!

james

Rough_Rock
I just looked at the GIA report and they have identical report numbers!

Rook,
If you want a link to the exact diamond listed (relisting) that I am talking about email me at [email protected]. I'm worried about listing the dealers name before I get a chance to return the stone. You will notice that the Certificate says AGS but when you click on the link to see it a GIA certificate pops up.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
When you get the diamond, get it checked out to be sure it is the one you paid for.

Perhaps this is just an error on the vendors website?

I am sure the vendor has a return policy. If it cannot be confirmed that you received the exact stone matching the cert and specifications, send it back!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
James, ----------------
I believe that I may be the victim of fraud from an online diamond seller. The seller has listed the exact same diamond (that I should recieve tomorrow) with same GIA report under another item number. He erased my listing (which I have saved as a file on my computer).
----------------
If your vendor is a broker, he probably takes his listings from other databases. In this case, even if a diamond was sold, it can still remain in the wholesaler database for different reasons. It might not be the case of wrongdoing.

If you whish, email me privately the information about the stone and vendor.
----------------
What likelyhood is it that two diamonds were graded on the same day with the same exact specifications?
----------------
Almost none.
----------------
If I am the victim of online fraud is there anything more than just returning the diamond that I should do?
----------------
Probably, you want to verify with independent appraiser that the diamond you received is what you paid for and matches the grading report. If not, you can return the diamond and post all the details on the forums.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I re-read his post - Is this ebay or an online vendor?

james

Rough_Rock
I received the ring today with an AGS certificate that I had never seen. I called the seller and asked him about the discrepency. He stated that they must have mistakenly scanned the GIA cert by mistake and the diamond I received belonged to the AGS certificate that accompanied it. He also said that the newly listed stone is the same one I bought and that they had just changed their inventory numbers. I took the ring to an apraiser who stated upon initial review he believes the diamond is the one described in the AGS cert. I feel a lot better and should receive the final appraisal value in a couple of days.

Also, upon further review of the GIA certificate there was one difference, it listed a SI2 stone and the one I bought was SI1.

Fire and Ice: this was not an eBay transaction, The dealer advertizes on pricscope.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but an SI2 sells for a fair amount less than an SI1.

For example, in a 1 carat H color stone, the SI2 would trade for about 20% less than the SI1.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Rook

Shiny_Rock
James,

I am glad that everything has worked out for you. I am also glad that we were able to assist you both with the purchase of the diamond, and with not panicing during this misunderstanding.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
James, in re-reading your post it seems that you ended up with an SI1. Is that correct?

If so, don't worry about my former post. You're doing fine.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results