shape
carat
color
clarity

Online Buying using HCA and Idealscope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I want my girlfriends ring to sparkle like crazy, so I really want the best cut I can get. I''m interested in using the HCA and Ideal scope (just ordered one) to judge the cut of diamonds online. However, rarly do they post angle info online - you need to request it specifically for each stone.

Anybody know a good way to do this? How do I search through online stones for quality without requesting info on someones entire inventory? I know there are good cuts outside of the AGS 0 range, but is there an easy way to find them? Is there an online vender who lists all the dimensions for their stones, so I can use the HCA?

Would I be better off going to a B&M store and paying a premium, so I can see them all with my own eyes and use the idealscope?

Also, how kosher is it to "buy" online just to see, and return it right away? Though I obviously cant do this for more than a couple promising stones anyway (I don''t have *that* high of a credit rating)

Thanks alot for all your help so far for a 1st time diamond buyer
-Jon

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The HCA and the AGA Cut Class specs will both help you buy a diamond "on-line" The Ideal-Scope will help you judge the brilliancy of a diamond you actually examine in person. The HCA and the I-S work in line with eachother and the AGA Cut Class specs, while different in certain ways, can work well with both of these other tools.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
Thanks for you reply.

I do understand all that. My main question is, is there an easy way to get data for use with the HCA (easier than requesting a Sarin report for every stone in a vendor's inventory)? Most sites only post depth and table %, and possibly crown %, but not crown and pavilion angles. I would like to find a BIC that looks great, and is outside AGS0, so it will be cheaper.

What steps would you guys go through to find a non-traditional ideal cut online (ie BIC) outside of AGS 0?

-Jon

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I see that SuperBCert includes all the certification info (specifically crown and pav angle) for all their diamonds online (I've read that they have the HCA scores online too, but I can't seem to find them).

Any other sites have this as well?

-Jon

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jon!
wavey.gif

You can screen diamonds using the Price Scope search engine on the PS homepage (left hand side) by clicking the AGS0 box. That will pull up the better cuts. All of the diamonds listed won't necessarily be true H&A's. Some will already have HCA scores listed.

You can also "ballpark" the HCA using %'s. From *my experience*, %'s will give you approximately half the true HCA number score. That can help you weed out potential poor performers. If you limit the HCA rating obtained from %'s to 1 or less, that should give you diamonds that will have true HCA scores of 2 and lower.

Using the Search by Known Angles search engine on the PS homepage (upper right), HCA scores are usually listed for diamonds found there. That may be where the SuperbCert HCA scores are available.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Jpdoane: My remarks are in bold......
----------------
On 6/23/2003 8:29:35 AM jpdoane wrote:

I want my girlfriends ring to sparkle like crazy, so I really want the best cut I can get. I'm interested in using the HCA and Ideal scope (just ordered one) to judge the cut of diamonds online. However, rarly do they post angle info online - you need to request it specifically for each stone.
Well Consider this there are a few online vendors which offer all the detailed info you are inquiring about. I know for sure that SuberBCert & Goodoldgold both offer this feature on there site. The data is measured with a device called the megascope and post all the measurements on all the facets not just the combined average of all the angles.

Anybody know a good way to do this? How do I search through online stones for quality without requesting info on someones entire inventory? I know there are good cuts outside of the AGS 0 range, but is there an easy way to find them? Is there an online vender who lists all the dimensions for their stones, so I can use the HCA?
If a vendor who doesn't offer the comprehensive data like some of the other sites I described above do not discount them. They should have no problem offering a possible consumer the specs and info you are requesting. The vendors job is to make the sale, so don't feel (If you do) like your inconvieniencing them.

Would I be better off going to a B&M store and paying a premium, so I can see them all with my own eyes and use the idealscope?
The 2 sites I mentioned in my first response also offer the actual images of the stones SuperBCert (Firescope) & GoodoldGold w/ Lightscope. Images show leakage just as an idealscope will.

Also, how kosher is it to "buy" online just to see, and return it right away? Though I obviously cant do this for more than a couple promising stones anyway (I don't have *that* high of a credit rating)
There is no substitution for seeing a stone with your own eyes before you make the purchase. There are tools that help the consumer in such an evaluation based on not seeing the stone 1st like the B-scope, Ideal-Scope/Lightscope/Firescope. Most vendors will offer a money back gaurantee of a purchase if your not satisfied with the visual results when you peak at your stone for the first time. I can say that when I first made my purchase I looked at the:

(1) Brilliant scope readings and focused on the 5 light views.

(2) Looked at the Megascope readings to see the variances between the angles (I was really being picky though and looking at the variances does not neccessarily rule out a stone that will perform excellent visually)

(3) The particular site I purchased from offered actual Images from the hearts & arrows viewer which provides a good perspective on the internal cut analysis of a stone. How well formed the hearts & arrows images were and are they all the same size and symmetrical are some of the questions which I asked myself when making the purchase.

(4) The Firescope, Lightscope, or idealscope images are going to show you how much of the light entering the diamond is being reflected back to you, or being returned to your eye. Leakage will be evident by the white pale areas on the stone. It also shows how much contrast a stone has "visual pop" Stones with a good balance of dark reds and blacks will optimize the impression of pop or intensity of light the stone is reflecting back to your eyes.

Thanks alot for all your help so far for a 1st time diamond buyer
-Jon----------------

Personally Jon I would not discount online buying at all. Remember to that in the whole scheme of things most B&M stores do not offer merely as much of the comprehensive information some of the online vendors do. Ultimately it is up to you, but like I said earlier even with online vendors there is a money back gaurantee, so you really have nothing to lose. With the options available and some of the comprehensive info these online vendors provide you are provided with more info and a more competetive price on a stone which will most likely perform better than a stone you get in a retail or B&M outfit. Thats just my 2 cents though...

Good luck and if you need any more help don't hesitate to post more. Take your time and figure out what priorities you want to place on making your purchase. Network and email a couple different vendors and see which ones you feel most comfortable with and they will no doubt lead you to getting a stone which exactly fits the criteria your looking for.

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results