shape
carat
color
clarity

"One ring to rule them all"

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I have seen this phrase a few times here, and it really resonates but I want to make sure that I understand what you all mean.... forgive me for not knowing who coined this phrase here on PS...but I would like to know what it means. In other words, do you only wear one ring--meaning no right hand rings? Or do you invest all of your buying power into your e-ring and forgo other pieces of jewelry? Can anyone please elaborate on this phrase?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, everything into the ultimate e-ring, with no other possibility of RHRs.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Re: "One ring to rule them all"

Well Tolkien coined the phrase but Dreamer applied it to bling.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its great in theory but what if you are a person who can't own "just one" outstanding piece. I prefer the other slightly infamous quote on here by Kenny "people vary" meaning that for some one is all it takes, but for others we like a bit of variety and that is totally O.K each to their own!!!! :lol:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of a larger diamond, but (currently) cling to the idea that an e-ring must look like it could have been an original e-ring! Regardless of how many upgrades!

So there is a point in diamond size which I feel I must not cross.... much beyond 2.25c, I feel, looks 'unrealistic' if it is to be passed off as my 'e'-ring.

I also have an attachment to retaining a solitaire setting as an e-ring.

All this 'symbolism' is really cramping my diamond style! :???:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I think everyone will interpret that phrase in their own way Nala.

I think it came up on a thread from last year about having multiple versus one e-ring. I don't recall it having to do with only having one diamond at all, but I could be wrong. Only Dreamer can answer for what she meant in that thread (which I can't seem to find right now).

If I remember correctly some people preferred having more than one so they could switch out of a day (of which I was in that camp) and some in only having one larger ering (which I now lean towards, sort of, maybe....) It wouldn't stop me from having a RHR or other diamonds, but I DO like the idea that my e-ring should be the best/biggest/etc. ie- that it takes precedence over everything else and should outshine other items, perhaps.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it means the THIS-IS-IT! Diamond and ring. Many of the PSers go through upgrade after upgrade, changing centerstone and setting.. in search of their "The One". I think the one to rule them all is that particular PSer's The One.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious to know if anyone here has invested all of their bling money on one ring. I contemplate this every time I make a bling purchase bc I wonder, what if I just walked away from this purchase and invested all my bling money to upgrade my 1.43 carat? Would my right hand feel lonely? Could I give up other bling that I end up rotating anyway?
I do believe that my e-ring should not be upstaged, so I know that much but I find it difficult to walk away from impulse bling purchases. Wonder if any of you out there have done this and how it's working out for you.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
nala|1375500429|3495783 said:
I'm curious to know if anyone here has invested all of their bling money on one ring. I contemplate this every time I make a bling purchase bc I wonder, what if I just walked away from this purchase and invested all my bling money to upgrade my 1.43 carat? Would my right hand feel lonely? Could I give up other bling that I end up rotating anyway?
I do believe that my e-ring should not be upstaged, so I know that much but I find it difficult to walk away from impulse bling purchases. Wonder if any of you out there have done this and how it's working out for you.

Well- I have attempted to solve that problem by focusing on mainly colored stones on the RH to solve the problem of competing diamonds. I do have some colored stone/diamond combos for that side too....

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know how wise that is if after you've reached a certain size. Ex: If you have a 1 ct, the $$ it costs to jump to a 1.5 or 2 is still feasible. So a bling fund of an extra 5-10K can be spent on your upgrading your one ring. But after you reach, say, a 5 ct stone… the amount of $$ it takes to reach the next size up is a whole lot more than just 5-10K. It's probably better spent on other items :wavey:

I don't plan on upgrading my ring, just buying more bling when I feel an itch :sun:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As bastetat wrote I think many will interpret this phrase slightly differently and only Dreamer can say what she meant when she used it.

Personally I interpret it as meaning one engagement ring to rule them all. That is, your main ring should be the best (best interpreted as you see fit for you) one you can afford and therefore finally satiating your desire for upgrading/resetting etc your ER. Instead of diluting what you can spend on your main ring by purchasing a few different ones or by continuously changing the setting/stone etc. I take this to mean to spend most of your bling budget at the time towards your main ring. So this does not mean only one ring but that your ER should be the star of the show and the one that rules them all.

Anyway, that is my interpretation and how I went about it. So while I have a number of right hand rings my ER is the star of the show and can hold her own and more with any of my other rings. And my desire for changing my ER out is gone. At least for now haha because truly who can predict the future? We are not static beings and our desires change with time and age so never say never but for now I am very content.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
missy|1375529501|3495857 said:
As bastetat wrote I think many will interpret this phrase slightly differently and only Dreamer can say what she meant when she used it.

Personally I interpret it as meaning one engagement ring to rule them all. That is, your main ring should be the best (best interpreted as you see fit for you) one you can afford and therefore finally satiating your desire for upgrading/resetting etc your ER. Instead of diluting what you can spend on your main ring by purchasing a few different ones or by continuously changing the setting/stone etc. I take this to mean to spend most of your bling budget at the time towards your main ring. So this does not mean only one ring but that your ER should be the star of the show and the one that rules them all.

Anyway, that is my interpretation and how I went about it. So while I have a number of right hand rings my ER is the star of the show and can hold her own and more with any of my other rings. And my desire for changing my ER out is gone. At least for now haha because truly who can predict the future? We are not static beings and our desires change with time and age so never say never but for now I am very content.

+1 yup this is how I took it too

justginger

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1375530403|3495862 said:

Me, too. I feel like with Adam's incredible work, the three of us are on similar 'one ring to rule them all' pages at the moment. :bigsmile:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My take on this is to have one major ER that you will wear and cherish on a daily basis! In my case, I consolidated multiple pieces to get to my current "one ring to rule them all." However, you never know what the future holds...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know if I invested all my money into one piece of jewelry, I would be resentful that I didn't have a bunch of other shinies all around. I could not give up my other bling. I do try to stick to things on my wanted list, but I don't begrudge myself impulse purchases if they are not too expensive.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I look at it this way....I knew that I found my "one ring to rule them all" when the thought of giving it up to fund something else was beyond comprehension. Every time I've seen something new that I love here on PS (which, of course, happens every few months with all of the gorgeous bling around here), I asked myself "which ring would I be willing to part with to fund xyz, oval or 3 stone..." and when I couldn't come up with an answer, I knew that I've found my "the One" (OK, "the One" for each hand :oops: )

SB621

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1375539929|3495913 said:

Me, too. I feel like with Adam's incredible work, the three of us are on similar 'one ring to rule them all' pages at the moment. :bigsmile:

Oh yes!! I still get chills when looking at my ring sometimes. I switched it out yesterday as I was going to be doing some more active work with my hands and I just felt naked all day. Adam was so amazing and I'm happy that PS led me to him and perhaps with our suggestions it leads others to using him for old cuts and their "one ring to rule them all!"

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Same here. One great engagement ring. I have other diamond jewelry and I have right hand rings. But my e-ring diamond is the best piece of jewelry I own. Now I am open to having another diamond this size, should the money tree sprout in the back yard!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I roll out that phrase when people ask questions like:

Q: "I really love this larger diamond in my hot little hands, but if I buy it then I won't have any money for the eternity band I want!"

Q: "Should I use my bling budget to buy a new RHR, or should I upgrade?"

Q: "I have a whole bunch of rings and things I never wear. I can't resist buying new things and I am not patient!"

A: One ring, baby.

Basically, I like to funnel all my bling into a singular piece that will "rule them all" so-to-speak. A piece I can covet like Gollum. I have owned larger collections at times and find I feel bad for the pieces I don't wear :blackeye: I want my whole investment in a single piece I can wear all the time no matter the outfit. Really get my money's worth ;))

I suppose if I am ever lucky enough to have a very large bling budget AND already have my Gollum-worthy piece, I might start a collection. But I dunno...

Anyways, I never used that term to suggest everyone should take that approach to bling! It just sums up my own feelings quite well.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1375734126|3497127 said:
I look at it this way....I knew that I found my "one ring to rule them all" when the thought of giving it up to fund something else was beyond comprehension. Every time I've seen something new that I love here on PS (which, of course, happens every few months with all of the gorgeous bling around here), I asked myself "which ring would I be willing to part with to fund xyz, oval or 3 stone..." and when I couldn't come up with an answer, I knew that I've found my "the One" (OK, "the One" for each hand :oops: )

This is what I've been leaning towards as well. I have the One ering, my avc three stone...but I am hoping to find the One for my right hand too. I'll have my semi bezel chrysoberyl to wear on either hand if I don't feel like wearing diamonds.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I did this and presently only own one diamond piece: My e-ring. It is easier because I have no money to buy anything else right now! :lol:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1375750043|3497292 said:

Q: "I really love this larger diamond in my hot little hands, but if I buy it then I won't have any money for the eternity band I want!"

Q: "I have a whole bunch of rings and things I never wear. I can't resist buying new things and I am not patient!"

Basically, I like to funnel all my bling into a singular piece that will "rule them all" so-to-speak. A piece I can covet like Gollum. I have owned larger collections at times and find I feel bad for the pieces I don't wear :blackeye: I want my whole investment in a single piece I can wear all the time no matter the outfit. Really get my money's worth ;))

I suppose if I am ever lucky enough to have a very large bling budget AND already have my Gollum-worthy piece, I might start a collection. But I dunno...

Anyways, I never used that term to suggest everyone should take that approach to bling! It just sums up my own feelings quite well.

In this interpretation I could never do it. I just love other sparklies too much! I could be completely talked into just one big diamond for e-ring and no other....but I still have to have other things for other fingers (with the accompanying MUCH smaller budget I allow myself for that). Even then though, I try to think a purchase through in terms of why I want it and how often I see myself wearing it.

I do completely agree with focusing your budget (to a greater degree) towards one (or maybe 2) larger purchases because I do tend to think if you are scattering your purchases TOO much over a bunch of small pieces, then you miss out and I think that's one of the things that may fuel some people's desire to keep spending on things they don't wear, because the "itch" isn't scratched, for lack of a better term.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1375752678|3497331 said:
Dreamer_D|1375750043|3497292 said:

In this interpretation I could never do it. I just love other sparklies too much! I could be completely talked into just one big diamond for e-ring and no other....but I still have to have other things for other fingers (with the accompanying MUCH smaller budget I allow myself for that). Even then though, I try to think a purchase through in terms of why I want it and how often I see myself wearing it.

I do completely agree with focusing your budget (to a greater degree) towards one (or maybe 2) larger purchases because I do tend to think if you are scattering your purchases TOO much over a bunch of small pieces, then you miss out and I think that's one of the things that may fuel some people's desire to keep spending on things they don't wear, because the "itch" isn't scratched, for lack of a better term.

I couldn't either - I like earrings too much! My idea of a complete collection is dream studs + dream Ering, and I knew that my diamond itch wouldn't be scratched until both were satisfied!
They are. Might upgrade the studs one day, but not until prices rise enough that I'd at least break even on my current stones and settings, and TBH if prices go up that much I probably couldn't stomach upgrading, so...
'Round the mulberry bush.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't give up all jewelry except one ring, either. But I did follow Dreamer's advice when I got my new stone! I went with the larger one because I thought I might always regret it if I didn't. Better to go with the one I really wanted than be sorry later! I will say that I apply the principle in general, though. I buy a few really nice things as opposed to a lot of inexpensive pieces.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know most people want many diamond pieces. I certainly am not trying to start a diamond "rules" or anything :lol: "One must only have a single piece of jewelery from now on! Or be sent to the stockade!"

But when advising others, to me it means it is better to have one piece that is your uber perfect piece that many smaller pieces that are not really what you want.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1375814248|3497699 said:
I know most people want many diamond pieces. I certainly am not trying to start a diamond "rules" or anything :lol: "One must only have a single piece of jewelery from now on! Or be sent to the stockade!"

But when advising others, to me it means it is better to have one piece that is your uber perfect piece that many smaller pieces that are not really what you want.

I get that and agree with you. I would prefer to focus on one (or a few) very nice pieces rather than scattering myself around and never really ending up satisfied because of it.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I take it as the ultimate ring. THE ring. Like to me, my engagement, which is finished and in our hands is "The Ring" :bigsmile: :Up_to_something:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Dreamer, I'm picturing a long queue of downtrodden PSers dripping with cheapie chains and dangles and baubles... and you in the background yelling... off with 'yer 'eads!!!!
:bigsmile:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1375814248|3497699 said:

I guess I'll head over to the stockade, then. :blackeye:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Are the stockades made of gemstones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results