shape
carat
color
clarity

One of my Favorite Pieces - 1.46 Demantoid Garnet

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I have had this beauty for a while, but for some reason I had difficulty getting good pictures. Yesterday I was finally able to snap a few decent ones, but the dispersion was still elusive. I will have to keep trying because this stone is a real firecracker under the right lighting.

I sometimes think about resetting it into a vintage mounting (perhaps one that offers more protection for the stone). The current mounting is a Jeff Cooper trellis (I have the matching wedding band, but I don't usually wear them together). Anyway, this lovely stone is one of my favorites and never fails to make me smile.

_3250.jpg

demantoid-2.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh wow, that's really beautiful! The cutting on that stone is impeccable. Who cut it?

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thank you athenaworth! It was actually set in a men's ring before I bought it, so I don't know who cut it. It had to be repolished due to some scratches/damage. The repolish was done by Good Neighbor Gems & Lapidary in San Francisco.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dang that is my favorite almost of all time green (right behind a med/light tsav)- just stunning color! :lickout:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in love with your ring! :love: :love: :love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WONDERFUL hue. I love it. I could look at that for hours, particularly at this time of year, when green is so thin on the ground ....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dreamy!! :love:

cheers--Sharon

Kelly12

Shiny_Rock
Charming, I like the green color. :)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all of your kind comments! The color really is very vibrant and cheerful. Diamonds may be my first love, but this wonderful stone holds a very special place in my heart. :love:

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
Oh! A great green ring! I love green, love garnet so much! Thanks for sharing, which settled down my hesitation on whether to buy a peridot or garnet, a garnet definitely! :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, really beautiful!! Love the color.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thank you meredeth11 and Laila619!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful!!! :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demantoids are so amazing in the dispersion and scintillation departments. I can only imagine what a show off that stone must be! A lovely ring.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
VERY nice Alistra!! I love a trellis setting!! That looks wonderful against your skin tone - :appl: nice garnet!!!! :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous. Great color.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Love love this shade of green, so pretty :love:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
love that color..!! just beautiful.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Skippy, minousbijoux, Enerchi, marcy, artdecogirl, and Mara!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alistra: back for more ogling! How would you describe the color of the green? pure green, grass green, bluish green, olive or slightly yellowish green? I can't recall if you told us the origin - do you know? Finally, does it have any of those fabulous horsetail inclusions when you loupe it? Can you tell I'm a fan? :cheeky: :cheeky:

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Minousbijoux, we just got back from a quick trip to Vegas so most of my jewelry is in our safe deposit box. I will do my best to try to describe the color when I get it back. I know it is not olive, brownish or very yellowish. I don't like those colors, and it is a very pleasing color to my eye. Based on my memory I would say it is grass or leaf green. It always reminded me of something growing and vibrantly alive. We enjoy hiking and walking in the woods, and it makes me think of summer foliage.

As far as the origin goes I am not sure. I bought it from a diamond dealer who bought it from someone in a men's ring. I believe the seller thought it was Russian, but honestly I am not sure (it doesn't have a lab report). It does have a horsetail inclusion. I have louped it myself, and it was described to me as one when I bought it. I know that is not conclusive as far as origin though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know the two things that used to distinguish Russian stones from other origins were the color and the horsetail. If you have that spectacular, intense green (and believe it or not I think I know exactly what you mean by "growing green") and you have a horsetail, particularly a beautiful one like fireworks that doesn't impact clarity but is amazing to see when louped, then really, who cares about origin?!! It sounds like you walked away with a beauty! I wasn't trying to be snarky in my question - I was hoping you would say that it did have horsetails, so my next question could be will you take some pictures of the horsetail... :bigsmile:

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Minousbijoux, I didn't read your questions as being snarky. I apologize for wording my response poorly. I know that my stone would probably not be mind clean to some of the amazing colored gem connoisseurs on PS. For me it is exactly what I was looking for, and an excellent deal too.

I will try my best to to take a horsetail picture for you. I will also try to get some better pictures of the color, and some dispersion if the sun decides to come out and play. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results