shape
carat
color
clarity

One more corrected post

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TSNARE

Rough_Rock
Hi again. First, thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions.

I'm just adding this post (sorry to be a bother!) b/c someone aptly suggested I indicate where I live b/c that may help with suggestions for where to buy a ring. I live in Boston, but will be in NYC at least two more times before I plan to propose.

SO I guess those two cities are my main options. Any suggestions for decent jewelers in those areas, esp. Boston? And, since I'd like to pop the question in four weeks, I have to reserve time for the ring to actually be put together and fitted for her.

Thanks so much again.

hope

Rough_Rock
Why not contact Jonathan at Good Old Gold to see what he has. His bricks and mortar store is in Massapequa Park, a 45 minute or so train ride out of Manhattan. You might be able to make a choice between some lovely stones, in person. If you'd consider a white gold setting, you could even put a bit more money into the stone itself. You'd get the personal service of jeweller, the old-fashioned way, and get a great stone and value to boot!

Good luck!

Hope

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
At 333 Washington St there are about 100 jewelers in one building. It is mostly behind the scenes stuff, but a guy in the 3rd floor is making a ring for me. I really think you should buy a stone online, then find someone in that building to make a setting. The setting will cost anywhere from $250 on up, depending on a few things. You can also buy a stone online and have it set at some fancy-smanchy Boston store -- maybe even Shrieve Crump and Lowe. That way you can pay for their setting and you will then have bought it from a prestigious brick and mortar store, but have a better quality diamond than they will have laying around.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Depends. You could do well in the diamond district, and then again, you might not. IMO, there are too many jewelers to search through before you find one that will offer you quality/prices comparable to the internet.

I second Hopes suggestion to see Jonathon in Massapequa Park. His site offers a tremendous amount of information, and I have heard only good things about him. (He's local to me, and I've got to get in there myself!) www.goodoldgold.com

Goodluck!

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I agree -- very hard to buy a diamond at a local store even if you know what you are doing, and impossible if you don't. That is why I suggested to buy a diamond on line or from goodoldgold in person and then just have a setting made at a local place in Boston -- then he can say he had it custom made at a local fine jewelry store. Buy one online with an AGS or GIA cert and one that has the specs of an excellent cut and it would be quite hard to go wrong. What I have found is that having "trust" in fine local stores will cause you to pay too much nearly 100% of the time. But having knowledge is the true power.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results