shape
carat
color
clarity

One last question ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

premabs2

Rough_Rock
I've narrowed my search down to a GIA 1.56 H VS2. Depth is 59.5, Table is 56, Dimensions are 7.58 - 7.65. Girdle VThin to M. No culet, Good Polish and Symmetry. Medium blue flour.

I'm setting it in a plat ring with 8 baguettes and 4 princess sides. They are represented as 1.2 TCW, H VS2 but no GIA Cert.

Total Price is $9,900.
Two quesitons:
1. Is this a good choice?
2. I asked the jeweler if this is a H&A. He says he won't recognize the classification because GIA doesn't. Nevertheless, is this cut within the general parameters of an H&A ?

P.S. The jeweler claims that the diamond was certificated on 8/22/02 and that diamonds of this caliber don't hang around long. Hype or truth?

THanks again for all the assistance!

bram77

Rough_Rock
go to the link below:

http://www.diamondhelpers.com/fivesteps/diamond-price-form.shtml

to check your price.

also go to :http://pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

to check the cut of your diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1.5 hVS2 is a popular combination.
You have no reason to doubt the jeweler on the info provided to us. Do the colors of the princess look as white as the center stone - that would be your only concern.

No labs I know about in USA issue H&A's certs (which is a good thing because many would fail independant testing).

H&A's means the diamond is symmetrical. That is all.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
H&A's means the diamond is symmetrical. That is all.
----------------

Garry, I've played with new "cut designer" feature of DiamCalc and must say it is not so easy! Minute rotation of a facet in 3D will spoil you all the fun while diamond can still be symmetrical in 2D sense.

I understand now why cutters are so proud when they are able to achieve perfect H&A pattern.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi premabs. Howdy all! Been reading some of the posts here and hope you don't mind if I jump in.

The specs given on a GIA report will not let you know whether the diamond would fall into the H&A guideline and not even whether the stone is ideal cut (according to the modern accepted definition of the term).

Interestingly even a diamond that has "ideal" specs as revealed in a Sarin analysis, MegaScope analysis or AGS report will still not guarantee the perfection in symmetry found within the H&A stones. We can get a close idea and can even almost say whether the diamond will at least have the arrows pattern but no guarantee to any consistency. Even diamonds with GIA Ex or AGS Ideal symmetry with the right crown and pavilion angles will not guarantee consistently formed arrows (even though they might be present).

Hope that wasn't too much for ya.

We've just had our website moved to a new server and I'm in the process of posting up all the diamonds for sale. We've started with the most pristine of the bunch but there are some examples I have which you could learn from that demonstrate what I'm talking about. This is an example of one of the beauties. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_03ct_d_vs2_h&a.htm

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Rhino

premabs2

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the advice. I checked out the prices at the sites you all suggest. Based on those prices, and assuming that the setting is about $2000, the internet prices are coming in aroung 13-15,000 for the combination. Is my 9900 price too good to be true?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 1.56ct H VS2 with no GIA cert or Sarin data for $9900? How do you know the stone is an H VS2? How do you know the polish/symmetry is even good? There's quite a bit more info I'd want to know about this diamond before I plunked down around 10k of my hard earned money. Don't buy the hype that *these don't stick around long" because there are plenty of H VS2's that are certed (GIA/AGS) that you can buy for that price. Matter of fact I have a 1.64ct H VS2 for less money than that that isn't a bad looking stone for the price and is accompanied with a GIA Report.

Leonid ... is it ok if I link people to stones on our site here? I do not want to violate any forum rules and it's been a lil bit since I last posted here.

Peace,
Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhino is correct that there are 48 pages of 1.5ct HVS2 stones on this site.
You should do a search for yourself.
You could pay $2k less or 4k more. And there can be good reasons for paying more and also for paying less.

If the stone is a H&A's then it is a good price. You would want to confirm this by looking at the stone thru a H&A's viewer, or better still having an independant appraiser do it for you.
There are links and addresses of plenty on the front page.

Rhino if you want to post images off your site the facility is here. We do try to restrict direct offerings of goods. As you know I sell diamonds too, but my activities here are to give away free advice.
If people like your advice they will seek you out.

BTW - I have reffered freinds of family to Rhino, so there is no attack or nasty intent in these comments.

premabs2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. However, I mentioned at the start that this is GIA certified. In addition, as I originally mentioned, the price includes a plat setting with 1.2 carats of baguettes and rounds. The entire ring is 9900 - not just the diamond. Any thoughts?

PS - The side diamonds in the setting are represented as H VS2 but they are not GIA certified. Maybe that is why you thought the center diamond was uncertified.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi premabs,

In the process of calibrating some equipment so had a chance to hop online and respond.

Based on the information you've given it certainly doesn't sound like you're getting rooked as that is a very good price. However based on the information given the diamond may or may not have the outstanding brilliancy that some diamonds will and do display.

Do you have an ideal-scope to get a cursory look at the stone? If not you may want to consider having the diamond looked at by a professional who can give you this info.

My thoughts are ... you can get what seems to be a good buy on an item but if it's an item that she's ultimately not going to be what she really wants ... it's money down the tubes.

RockDoc or Dave Atlas are 2 appraisers who may be able to help you.

Peace,
Rhino

btw ... Gary thanks for that info. I appreciate it. I will only post pics for teaching purposes here.

premabs2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results