shape
carat
color
clarity

One last question (I plan to purchase today!!! so I''d really appreciate any help) ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
If anyone who knows a little more than I do has time to have a look, is there a diamond in the price comparison (.23 ct. max, D, VS1) that is a better buy than this one? There are only two pages of results that appear for those characteristics ranging up to $751, but even if my budget allowed for it, none of those diamonds seem to be any better than the one I''ve found based off the information available.

.23 ct.
GIA certified
Excellent cut
D color
VS1
VG Polish
VG Symmetry
No Cutlet
MB Fluorescence (don''t mind as long as Blue and medium or less)
59 Table
60.2 Depth
34 crown angle
40.8 Pavillion angle
HCA 1.4 TIC (says it''s a candidate for both the AGS0 range in addition to the existing GIA Excellent grade)

Even if I didn''t consider price, this seems to be the best diamond of the bunch, no? Or close to it?

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Sorry my search criteria was (.23 ct., D-E, VS1-VS2). Ahh I''m so close to buying the one I mentioned. None of these seem to be as good and they range up to $751.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so you''re looking for a .20-.23 D VS1?

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
It''s a promise ring, i''m pretty sure she wants a traditional 4 prong setting, and I want to keep it from looking like an engagement ring by keeping the diamond short of 1/4 ct.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
If I''m reading the angle numbers right on the AGS report, the first one you mentioned only gets a 5.1 on the HCA. It''s also only an E instead of a D. And I would like to keep it around .20-.24.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
If I were interested in a .25, that second one you sent was pretty nice : /

Still leaning toward the original unless someone comes up with something better by the end of the day. Thanks for your help though.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter has a promise ring with a .25 stone. You are not going to see very much of a difference between the .23 and .25, but the BN .25 above is much cheaper--you could go for a more unique setting perhaps with the extra $. You could also go down to an F or G and not notice the difference in colour. It's up to you of course.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 3:34:41 PM
Author: Chase035
If I''m reading the angle numbers right on the AGS report, the first one you mentioned only gets a 5.1 on the HCA. It''s also only an E instead of a D. And I would like to keep it around .20-.24.
It''s okay, it got a 0 for light performance. HCA is a weeding tool, AGS light performance based testing gave it a zero.
Also to consider in a stone that size, you would be hard pressed to tell a difference between a D and an E (and I daresay you would not be able to), esp once set - this could save you a little bit of $.

Since it is a promise ring, not an engagement ring and you are trying not to have it taken as engagement ring, have you considered a different type of stone (or a different type of ring style)? I suggest considering this, because I think most would agree that it doesn''t matter what size the diamond is, it will still look like an engagement ring to the casual observer (and there certainly are plenty of people who have 1/4 carat stones for their e rings).

Just to consider...

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
No actually, the one I''m considering is only $362 for a similarly excellent cut (1.4 TIC, GIA Excellent) and a D VS1 instead of the E VS1. I know what you''re saying about the sizes being similar, but at 1/4 ct. it leaves my comfort zone .25 is also considered a beginner engagement ring. Yes, I am a guy who doesn''t want to think about the M word for a few years
23.gif

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 3:34:41 PM
On the first one, the scan of the report is really bad. You can verify the angles 34.7/40.8 by checking the report on AGSLs website. It gets a 1.4 HCA.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Good point about the shape and setting, but I''ve gotten little hints about a round solitairre promise ring. So that''s what I''m working with right now. So .20-.24 (for my comfort), D-E, VS1-VS2. I can''t find a diamond in the entire price comparison for those specs that seems like its any better than the one I mentioned at the top. And that ones only $362.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Oh okay, thanks What Me Worry. Still, the first one is only $362. I guess I can afford to go higher, but I can''t find anything significantly better to warrant the higher price.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Well it''s certainly the cheapest of the bunch using the search function. Make sure you have a good return policy and check the effect of the fluoresence when you get it. Good luck.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
yea, it''s blue nile so it has a 30 day return policy. They had a look at it and the blue fluorescence doesn''t have any oily or cloudy effect. I think she''ll actually like that about it. And I don''t want the cheapest, not if $50-$125 more gets me something significantly better. I''m just not finding that.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I misread your opening post. I thought that you were saying that the diamond was $751. Doh! You know, if you don't want it to look too much like an engagement ring (and that's a valid and good point), have you thought about adding coloured sidestones? BN has some, but I think Excel has less expensive settings. I'd have to look that up. I think it's exceldiamonds.com?

ETA: Nope, it wasn't Excel. Their settings start at $250. Don't know what your looking to spend.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 3:28:52 PM
It''s a promise ring, i''m pretty sure she wants a traditional 4 prong setting, and I want to keep it from looking like an engagement ring by keeping the diamond short of 1/4 ct.
At the size you are looking at it wont really look any different 23 points or 25 points. Also, the design is what makes it look like an er, eg. the 4 prong setting is er setting imo.

Have you looked around for the finnished rings in any shops. Sometimes you can get a good deal on the tiny diamond rings that are already set.

Good luck!

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Already have a setting : )

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
I know what you''re saying Sharon but the promise rings in shops often use J-M color stones in I1-I3 clarity. She''ll like the idea that I''ve put it all together and the setting is what she wanted (simple prong setting). So ct. weight is all can adjust. And I want something nice (working with a budget around $650 give or take). So I''m basically down to the last step. Picking out the best 4mm stone I can fit in my budget. Surprisingly, it seems to be the one for $362, since none of the others that come up for .23, D-E, VS1-VS2 are any better. It really seems to be a perfect fit. I just wanted to give anyone the chance to convince me otherwise.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
I knew nothing about diamonds two months ago. I''ve been researching diligently since then and really feel like this is exactly what I''m looking for since the only comparable stones I''ve ever found (.23, D, VS1, GIA Excellent or AGS0, good HCA score (1.4 TIC)) have priced in the low $500s or higher. Just wanted some reassurances from the mob.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you already have a setting that has the right size head for a 4mm stone? I am going to have to agree with those who said that a diamond solitaire will appear to be an engagement ring. And it sounds like your girlfriend wants it to look like one.
2.gif
And I promise, you would not be able to see the difference in a .23 and .25. In fact, they could be the exact same diameter depending on the depth.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Already have a 4mm setting. And yea, realize you can''t tell the difference between 3.97 mm and 4.1 mm. But isn''t peace of mind worth something. Weren''t you 22 once? Plus most promise rings (in the macy''s, fortunoffs, zales, etc.) are either little 1/10 ct. flowery designs or mounted solitairres. So I don''t think she''ll be the only one with a mounted 4 prong promise ring.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Anyway, my only concern was the diamond itself. Not the size. I was just wondering if I''ve found the best stone available in the specified range. Based on the lack of alternatives offered, I think I might have done really well for someone who was completely clueless a month ago.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be lovely! You did a good job!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 9:01:14 PM
Already have a 4mm setting. And yea, realize you can''t tell the difference between 3.97 mm and 4.1 mm. But isn''t peace of mind worth something. Weren''t you 22 once? Plus most promise rings (in the macy''s, fortunoffs, zales, etc.) are either little 1/10 ct. flowery designs or mounted solitairres. So I don''t think she''ll be the only one with a mounted 4 prong promise ring.
This whole thread just makes me smile. I got married at 22. My engagement ring was a 0.21 ct diamond set in a simple four prong setting. Now, you say that''s only a promise ring. Well, in a way, I guess mine was a promise ring, too.
1.gif

Good luck to you and her. Sounds like a nice stone. And, thanks for triggering some great memories!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 8:11:06 PM
I know what you''re saying Sharon but the promise rings in shops often use J-M color stones in I1-I3 clarity. She''ll like the idea that I''ve put it all together and the setting is what she wanted (simple prong setting). So ct. weight is all can adjust. And I want something nice (working with a budget around $650 give or take). So I''m basically down to the last step. Picking out the best 4mm stone I can fit in my budget. Surprisingly, it seems to be the one for $362, since none of the others that come up for .23, D-E, VS1-VS2 are any better. It really seems to be a perfect fit. I just wanted to give anyone the chance to convince me otherwise.
I think she will love it!!!! Maybe with the extra budget left over you could go to a special restuarant or buy a bracelet from Tiffanys which seems to be the king of romance.

In Australia Ive never heard of promise rings. Im guessing its a promise to get engaged????

Anyway, I remember the feeling of waiting for the proposal.....Im glad Im over that hoop now and on the other side. Waiting for upgrade is much less stressful!!!
31.gif

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Actually, its more of a just because. A promise to always be there for her, no matter where our relationship takes us in the next few years.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think you''ve done very well, and it appears to be a good choice.

Very nicely done.

Want to also add......I respect that the ''under .25 ct.'' is a "mind-clean" thing for you, and plenty of PSers have other mind-clean hangups. Just as some people prefer VS even when there''s no VISUAL difference in clarity, I think it''s important to be respectful of your ''mind-clean'' decision to stick with a size that is in your comfort level for your peace of mind.

Kudos to you for not being swayed by the masses.
9.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 12:28:39 PM
Author: aljdewey
I think you''ve done very well, and it appears to be a good choice.

Very nicely done.

Want to also add......I respect that the ''under .25 ct.'' is a ''mind-clean'' thing for you, and plenty of PSers have other mind-clean hangups. Just as some people prefer VS even when there''s no VISUAL difference in clarity, I think it''s important to be respectful of your ''mind-clean'' decision to stick with a size that is in your comfort level for your peace of mind.

Kudos to you for not being swayed by the masses.
9.gif
36.gif
Surely you jest.
9.gif
25.gif

Chase, it will be a lovely ring, you did good!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 12:47:29 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/22/2007 12:28:39 PM
Author: aljdewey
and plenty of PSers have other mind-clean hangups.
Surely you jest.
9.gif
25.gif

MOI???????????
11.gif
11.gif
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results