shape
carat
color
clarity

One big solitaire, 5-stones or a haloed pear?

Which option will you choose and why?

• Total voters

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade I’m sure @Phoenix would be chuffed to learn that one of her pieces has inspired you in such a lasting way!! :bigsmile:

I don’t have anything meaningful to add at this point - just wanted to say that I’m enjoying following your journey ::) and I know that whatever you wind up with will be beautiful!! The D pear @TreeScientist posted is gorgeous :love:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In another thread you explained that you personally don’t enjoy the very-symmetric, very-binary, very-strong contrast that superideal RBs show - may I ask why you’re targetting CBI stones for your new earrings? Is there something about CBIs specifically that your eyes appreciate compared to your HoF stones?

I’m very curious to hear more about this, if you are willing to share - it is doesn’t match my understanding of your preferences ::)

Hi! I don’t know either but since reading how much people seem to love CBI stones and the super sparkle, I want to see if I like CBIs... the secret sauce. Part of me says I should get a super ideal (probably drinking the PS kool-aid too much), so my thought is CBI if I am going to do a super ideal. I will see the stones in two weeks, and I will compare them to my e-ring (which you know I love love love) and my HOF stones (which you know I hate hate hate).

I can’t judge a stone on paper like you guys... looking at ASETs, HCA scores and all that good stuff. I am super impressed some of you can say yes or no to a stone based on half a degree angle! I have read threads where PSers reject super ideals from online vendors so that made me think not all super ideals are all that “super”, and I will end up with two duds again like my HOF.

For me, all I need to know is that it is a super ideal and I’m a happy camper. I can then choose which one I like based on what I see visually. That’s how I bought my e-ring. I had the boutique bring in 3 rings, which I pre-selected based on GIA reports. The stone that I thought I wanted, which looked the best on paper, did not have the sparkle like the one I ended up purchasing. So, for the simple minded person like me... I need a dealer who filters and sells quality cut stones, hence the CBI precision cut and every stone looking the same really appealed to me as theoretically no stone is a dud. And surprisingly, when I read threads where PSers reject stones, I don’t recall a CBI stone ever being a “don’t buy” hence I’m going to go with CBI. I hope that made sense. And I really do hope I see that secret sauce and fall in love! My e-ring, it was love at first sight... I bought that stone in 10 minutea!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto I will be very interested to hear what you think of the CBI stones :geek2: I would love to see some stones with you in person one day, I think you and I have some very different preferences and that is always interesting! ::)

FWIW I recommend going as large as you’re able (without compromising other priorities of course) - you get used to a bit more size surprisingly easily, especially if you’re already on the fence :bigsmile:

Apologies for the brief deviation @icy_jade!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto I will be very interested to hear what you think of the CBI stones :geek2: I would love to see some stones with you in person one day, I think you and I have some very different preferences and that is always interesting! ::)

FWIW I recommend going as large as you’re able (without compromising other priorities of course) - you get used to a bit more size surprisingly easily, especially if you’re already on the fence :bigsmile:
[/USER]!

I would love to get stone training from you on how to appreciate super ideals as you can tell, I am really really really trying to love super ideals!

On size... thank you for that input. My husband says the same thing. He says I will not like the 1.5ct and should do 2.0cts. But I tried on a pair of 4ctw a few weeks ago, and they were huge! As in... tacky look-at-me, diamond-hanging-off-the-ear-lobe-huge! I will go back to that store and try them on again though, good suggestion. I think my ears were pierced a bit too low, so... note to young mothers... make sure your daughters pierce their ears higher to allow room for huge studs!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
as you can tell, I am really really really trying to love super ideals!
Eh. You love what you love, there’s certainly no faulting anyone for not having another’s preferences ::)

Please do share your thoughts when you get the new stones though. Most PSers gravitate to a certain look and feel - like I said, I’m just very interested to meet someone who has a different informed opinion and am going to take the opportunity to pick your brain ::)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If you find a pear, pay more attention to the length and with measurements than to the carat size. My pear is 1.36cts but only measures 8 x6mm so faces up like a 1 carat.
Wanted to mention that brian Gavin Diamond in Houston, TX has a range of super ideal , blue fluoro diamonds and sells as a brick and mortar store and online.

Thanks for the tip. I was already seriously considering asking him as I recently realised that I love diamonds with strong blue fluorescence. Like super love I will install uv lights in my room love, haha.

@icy_jade I’m sure @Phoenix would be chuffed to learn that one of her pieces has inspired you in such a lasting way!! :bigsmile:

I don’t have anything meaningful to add at this point - just wanted to say that I’m enjoying following your journey ::) and I know that whatever you wind up with will be beautiful!! The D pear @TreeScientist posted is gorgeous :love:

Thank you! I hope so too... so many things to read and learn lol. I’ll prob have to create another thread for settings...

Re: @Phoenix pear.... It is a really lasting impact huh?

Apologies for the brief deviation @icy_jade!

Deviate away! I’m curious if @Miki Moto will like CBI diamonds too. I also wonder if she will like OECs...

@Miki Moto have you seen OECs and how do you feel about them?

I would love to get stone training from you on how to appreciate super ideals as you can tell, I am really really really trying to love super ideals!

On size... thank you for that input. My husband says the same thing. He says I will not like the 1.5ct and should do 2.0cts. But I tried on a pair of 4ctw a few weeks ago, and they were huge! As in... tacky look-at-me, diamond-hanging-off-the-ear-lobe-huge! I will go back to that store and try them on again though, good suggestion. I think my ears were pierced a bit too low, so... note to young mothers... make sure your daughters pierce their ears higher to allow room for huge studs!

Not sure if you have seen this. There is a cool video for this ring and I admit I love the sparkles! I can definitely love a diamond that performs like this, what about you? Keep reading about the consistency in CBI diamonds so am assuming that they all perform similarly? Any CBI owners can comment? Paging @cflutist
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/200ct-m-vs2-round-diamond-ring-r4578

Re size, yah as big as you can since DSS can happen fairly fast. As I suggested in another thread you may like to order some cheap stimulants to wear for a few days. If not Cz then maybe cheap moissy from China that folks are raving about in the fashion threads.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade Hi! First I want to say this is turning into such a fun thread with lots of great insight!
Did you see this new thread of color grading of pairs? I thought about you and think you might find it helpful: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color-grading-of-pear-shaped-diamonds.241807/

To answer your question on OECs, they are just ok to me. They are a softer look, and I do not see the sparkle/scintillation that is my first priority (over fire) when looking for a stone.

I am getting more excited now to see the CBI stones. They are on hold for me. I go to the City and meet with the CBI dealer Wed, 7/11 so it will be interesting what my eyes tell me. I asked to see one G and one H stone and will compare them against my e-ring and earrings.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade Hi! First I want to say this is turning into such a fun thread with lots of great insight!
Did you see this new thread of color grading of pairs? I thought about you and think you might find it helpful: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color-grading-of-pear-shaped-diamonds.241807/

To answer your question on OECs, they are just ok to me. They are a softer look, and I do not see the sparkle/scintillation that is my first priority (over fire) when looking for a stone.

I am getting more excited now to see the CBI stones. They are on hold for me. I go to the City and meet with the CBI dealer Wed, 7/11 so it will be interesting what my eyes tell me. I asked to see one G and one H stone and will compare them against my e-ring and earrings.

Yes I did see the thread and it’s something I’ve read before... which means going up to F color for a pear and omg my poor bank account...

You mean you were not excited before??? How can that be? I’m a month away from my trip and I’m already super excited lol.

I read what you wrote in the other thread and moved it here cos you know it’s my thread and I’m cool going off topic...

Have you seen/considered a solasfera diamond?

http://jannpaul-diamonds.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-solasfera-diamond.html

Seems to fit what you are looking for re scintillation and brillance...

Paging @yssie here too

@Rockdiamond This is the best answer ever in the discussion of super ideals and light return!

OP... you have to really take @Rockdiamond's comment here and peel it back. There is a trade off in what you choose, it is preference. Many people love to maximize light return, but there are tradeoffs.
You have to decide what your priorities are... fire (the rainbow), high contrast (the black & white), scintillation (the sparkle across to top).

@yssie This is my Eureka moment. I prefer brilliance and scintillation which to me, makes a diamond come to life. Fire and contrast are not priorities for me. I think that has been my issue with those earrings...the angles, they draw my eye deep into the facets to see the fire when I really just want to see the scintillation dancing on the top table which is what I see in my e-ring.

Did that make sense in laymen's terms? If that does not make sense, then I am back to square one on finding the perfect balance. And does that make me doomed for super ideals (as in... I'd love to be refined enough to love Dom Perignon, but my taste buds say Martini & Rossi)? :(2

OP... apologies for the side thread to @yssie. @yssie and I have been discussing our different preferences on stones and I saw @yssie is on this thread. You can truly see... it's all about preference. There is not perfect set of numbers, because everything is relative to that specific diamond.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Ok still obsessing over round or pear so I might as well record it here...

1 carat pear vs 2 carat pear
08B37FDC-F822-4B76-82F9-29C34CFA3087.jpeg

2 carat round vs 2 carat pear
F0B97A3A-EEE8-421A-A199-BFC60D90B508.jpeg

Think what it boils down to is whether I see a nice diamond in round or pear first...

But since pears are so hard to come by irl, chances are I’ll be getting a round. Just not comfy getting a pear online. Returns are tough since I’m not in the US...

@icy_jade how do I find this fun diamond size/finger size website/app?? I’ve now been searching on PS for like an hour and can’t find a link!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results