shape
carat
color
clarity

Once Lab, Never Back?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
So I've only made two lab purchases so far but I'm already erring towards looking at other lab options for future splurges. Anyone else finding it hard to consider mined after their lab experiences?

The only mined stones I'm considering at the moment are an orange fancy colour stone, an ACA, an antique OMC/OEC (to have that historical, antique piece), or anything that is already set and priced well on the secondhand market.

Your thoughts?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Never is too strong a word for me lol. I know there will be at least a few small mined things in my future. But my projects will probably mostly end up being in lab stones. I want to replicate the necklace and bracelet set I borrowed from family when I married and there is no way I can do that in natural stones. It would be out of our means. But lab stones is another story :D

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
So I've only made two lab purchases so far but I'm already erring towards looking at other lab options for future splurges. Anyone else finding it hard to consider mined after their lab experiences?

The only mined stones I'm considering at the moment are an orange fancy colour stone, an ACA, an antique OMC/OEC (to have that historical, antique piece), or anything that is already set and priced well on the secondhand market.

Your thoughts?

I haven't made a lab purchase yet, but it would appeal to me more than a mined modern cut cause they are readily available.
Definitely only consider mined for antiques because they are one of a kind. =)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already have earth-mined diamond pieces that I love, and don't really need anymore jewellery, diamonds or otherwise.

However I may still get more pieces in earth-mined diamonds, depending on the design and cost. For example, the cost difference of small earrings may not be sufficiently significant to go down the lab/MMD route.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not made a lab purchase yet. Not sure if I will do so anytime soon. So I cannot speak to how I will feel about lab diamonds until I get one and see for myself. But, for me, I don't think there is any chance it will replace mined diamonds for me. They might serve a purpose but won't completely replace the earth mined diamonds I own and love. However I have heard from some experts in the field that they are every bit as beautiful as earth mined diamonds so time will tell and maybe I will change my mind. We shall see. I wait with interest to see how the lab diamond market develops. Being an old cut girl I think there is much more a road to travel til we see more Lab OECs and OMCs. Just a guess.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my head, rightly or wrong, apart from the two whoppers that I shall never be able to afford in earth-mined diamonds except for multi-millions lottery wins, I have kind of decided that lab/MMD purchases should not exceed my current earth-mined diamond collections.

This means a single stone cannot be more than 1.19ct which is the size of my EC.

Silly, I know, however, I don't want the labs/MMDs to over-shadow my existing diamond collection.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Depends, I like vintage/antique things, and some items that are currently only made with mined, usually lower cost items. For the "big rocks" like the center stone of an e-ring or diamond studs, lab seem to make more financial sense, since I am never buying with the intention of reselling, just for personal enjoyment.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m open to both as I love both. Depends on the piece.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
For me it’s a “right tool for the job” type thing. I love my lab diamond studs; they’re exactly what I wanted for daily wear. That hasn’t stopped me from enjoying my mined diamonds or choosing mined diamonds for other projects.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Silly, I know, however, I don't want the labs/MMDs to over-shadow my existing diamond collection.

That makes complete sense :) I don't want to necessarily be surrounded by a bunch of MMDs when the goal is to have a small collected (mined or lab) of pieces you really like.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Most of my purchases are colored stones, so I don’t really have a preference. It’s also nice to have a variety of choices for diamonds, so I won’t exclude natural diamonds if one speaks to me.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I just received my first lab grown earrings, and I have to say I’m impressed. Still, the fact that most are hpht treated and pricescope quality natural diamonds are not, it is really not an apples to apples comparison.

Also, if we are talking about earrings, CZ will do the job just as well. If they are diamond cut, it is very hard if not impossible to tell the difference. Hardness of 8.5 is plenty for earrings and actually pretty good for a ring as well.

So, I’m still on the edge if lab diamonds are “mind clean“ enough for me.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I do find it hard to consider mined diamonds (antique aside) after my experience with my absolutely amazing lab grown diamond stud earrings Rhino (Jonathan) sourced and had made for me.

However, my perspective may be a bit different than most perhaps in that I never considered mined diamonds to be all that special. Sure, they are pretty, and I do adore pretty and sparkly pieces of jewelry, but the cost for size/quality I desired could never be justified in my mind. Yes, much of my mindset comes from growing up working poor.

When my husband gave me the go-ahead to start shopping for my every day diamond studs, it never even crossed my mind to look at mined stones. Thus, aside from possibly some well priced antique pieces as the years go on and I add to my collection, I doubt I will personally seek anything other than lab grown diamonds, as the idea of being surrounded by a modest but lovely collection of MMDs pleases me.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies so far everyone! It was interesting to read everyone's take on the matter. I think the industry is still some while away from providing every option possible to cater to all desires. For example, I would still love an ACA but if someone started producing lab MRBs cut to the same premium standard, then I'd consider the lab option as I'd be able to afford a stone twice the size of a natural ACA. I'm also hoping to get a 3ct OEC for a milestone birthday and by the time I get there, I think more cutters will produce very good quality lab OECs, and I know even though I could splurge, the price saving will still sway me towards a lab option.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked Distinctive Gems recently and their largest Heart cut lab stone is over 37k+ USD and smaller than what I am after. o_O

Therefore I shall go down the Moissy route for a 4-5ct stone.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I checked Distinctive Gems recently and their largest Heart cut lab stone is over 37k+ USD and smaller than what I am after. o_O

Therefore I shall go down the Moissy route for a 4-5ct stone.

With a lot of my diamond wishlist items ticked off, I must say I'm a bit curious about Moissanites and love to add one to my collection. I can't say I've ever seen one in Australia!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a lot of my diamond wishlist items ticked off, I must say I'm a bit curious about Moissanites and love to add one to my collection. I can't say I've ever seen one in Australia!

I bought a pair of small huggies so far, they are more sparkly and less glassy than CZ, no doubt I shall get more.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a pair of small huggies so far, they are more sparkly and less glassy than CZ, no doubt I shall get more.

Ohhh! Well I am all about the sparkle (which is why I got diamond fever) so I'm going to trawl the Bay and online tonight!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh! Well I am all about the sparkle (which is why I got diamond fever) so I'm going to trawl the Bay and online tonight!

Have a look at the Tianyu thread, and also the offerings from Golden Bird on Etsy.

Vijay owns the shops Golden Bird (for Moissy) and Ouros Jewellery (for lab/MMD) on Etsy.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have gotten some lightbox pieces, and lab diamonds make me less interest one white earth mined diamonds for sure. I do love fancy colored ones though! So far the colored lab diamonds don’t look much like natural colors to me, the colors are just a little too perfectly even and saturated. Sort of like how synthetic spinel looks to compared to the mined stuff.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have gotten some lightbox pieces, and lab diamonds make me less interest one white earth mined diamonds for sure. I do love fancy colored ones though! So far the colored lab diamonds don’t look much like natural colors to me, the colors are just a little too perfectly even and saturated. Sort of like how synthetic spinel looks to compared to the mined stuff.

Yes I agree. I love natural orange diamonds and while I can get a much bigger lab orange for the same price, the colour often looks artificial :| There is still much beauty in what Mother Nature creates which is why I'm sure I'll still be a mined diamond customer :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do find it hard to consider mined diamonds (antique aside) after my experience with my absolutely amazing lab grown diamond stud earrings Rhino (Jonathan) sourced and had made for me.

However, my perspective may be a bit different than most perhaps in that I never considered mined diamonds to be all that special. Sure, they are pretty, and I do adore pretty and sparkly pieces of jewelry, but the cost for size/quality I desired could never be justified in my mind. Yes, much of my mindset comes from growing up working poor.

When my husband gave me the go-ahead to start shopping for my every day diamond studs, it never even crossed my mind to look at mined stones. Thus, aside from possibly some well priced antique pieces as the years go on and I add to my collection, I doubt I will personally seek anything other than lab grown diamonds, as the idea of being surrounded by a modest but lovely collection of MMDs pleases me.

@vintageinjune may I please ask you to share a photo of your beautiful diamond studs with us? I would love to see them and I am sure others would as well. Thanks!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
@vintageinjune may I please ask you to share a photo of your beautiful diamond studs with us? I would love to see them and I am sure others would as well. Thanks!

I'll do you one better, here is the thread on them! :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll do you one better, here is the thread on them! :D

Stunning! Thank you!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really a vintage girl but if a reasonably priced pink OEC lab came along I would definitely entertain it. Maybe for our 20 year anniversary in 2026 :dance:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the process of having a ring made with both lab sapphires and lab side diamonds. I didn't like the idea of lab stones at first but am warming up to it. They are made up of the same substances as the mined stones yet far less expensive and much kinder to the environment. That's an all-around win.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results