shape
carat
color
clarity

OMG how long does it take a fingernail to grow back?!?

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
so about three weeks ago, I accidentally closed my finger (left pointer) in the car door. Can you say OUCH?! It throbbed for days. Right below my cuticle was all bruised and then a small bruise appeared under the nail but I figured, ok, at least I can cover that with nail polish. Well now the ENTIRE nail is lifting from the bottom and it is going to come completely off!!! Sorry, I know it is gross.

I am totally freaking out as I know someone who had her big toe run over by a shopping cart and it has never grown back. She actually wears a fake toenail press on thing if she wears sandals, flip flops, etc. What if this happens to my finger???

Not to mention, hoping to have something to show off on that hand sometime soon..... :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Has this happened to anyone with good results?? How long does it take??

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Separation from the nail bed. Once your nail separates from its nail bed, for whatever reason, it will not reattach. Nails grow back slowly. It takes about 6 months for fingernails and up to 18 months for toenails to grow back attached to the nail bed.

Just found that on google. Hope that helps :))

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
6 mos? Ugh how embarrassing, I will need to wear a bandaid forever! :(( The nail hasn't even come off yet..... But what if doesn't come back???

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen toenails not grow back but never not seen a fingernail re grow. Talk to your MD on Monday, maybe there is something they can suggest.

Yeah that would suck to have to wear a bandage for that long, especially if you are expecting a little something shiny in the next little while :naughty: :Up_to_something: ;))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I damage my fingers and toes a lot (I'm VERY clumsy). Every time I've damage it, my nail bed attachment sort of gets "pushed back". It had NEVER grown back reattached over the years, except for on my pointer finger. Weird. I have the oddest nail line (?) due to it. My dr said to avoid picking at it since it'll lift it more, and separate it more. And it's dangerous when it gets deep because moisture and bacteria can breed under it. DON'T pick at your nail. And don't do an acrylic over it. When they pull off the acrylic, it pulls on your natural nail, separating it more. I learned the hard way :/

Cut your nail shorter and closer to where it's lifting. The longer your nail is, the easier it is for you to accidentally lift and rip it. and just let the bruise grow out naturally. When it grows out (TMI warning), there'll be dried blood and separated nail. It sometimes smells because its been trapped for so long. Don't pick at that dried blood and clean it out. You'll lift the nail more. Let it naturally fall out.

I hope your nail grows back! A good color polish to hide bruising is dark red and dark purple. I know, totally not ideal colors for summer, but it'll hide the dark bruise. I always put a TIGHT bandaid on, to prevent any more lifting. And biotin works for my nails, too. I notice it grows faster when I take a high dosage. I purchased mine from Whole Foods and I got the highest dosage they offer. The instructions say to take 1-2 pills once or twice a day. I take 2 with breakfast and 2 before I sleep.

I HTH! :( you can always get press-ons (don't do the glue-on kind, use the ones with stickers) at any pharmacy if you need an emergency fix up for bling photoshoots!

MqLove

Rough_Rock
I haven't even done it with a finger, but I've dislodged tonails a few times. The most recent was a big toe, I trod down on something funny and the toenail came up. It was almost completely off after doing it, and had fallen off completely in a couple of weeks. I was toenail-less for a while, but it did grow back absolutely fine.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe once some of the new nail grows in, you can use a press-on full-sized nail at times.

liz

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, that sounds painful! As gross as it sounds though, it won't be that bad when it falls off. It looks gross now from all the bruising, but once your nail finally lifts off, there might be leftover scabbing or nothing at all (the scab might lift with the nail.) I wore incredibly uncomfortable shoes to my sister's wedding and lost 2 toenails (the big toe and another one... can't remember which, ha). BUT! They both grew back in less than 6 months. Enerchi is right - finger nails will grow back faster than toe nails. I would agree with cutting your nail as short as possible so it'll "accidentally" lift faster, but I wouldn't fret too much about it! It happens more often than you think, and your nail WILL grow back (and it's not as gross looking as you think).

atp223

Shiny_Rock
madelise|1334439619|3171115 said:
And biotin works for my nails, too. I notice it grows faster when I take a high dosage. I purchased mine from Whole Foods and I got the highest dosage they offer. The instructions say to take 1-2 pills once or twice a day. I take 2 with breakfast and 2 before I sleep.

I HTH! :( you can always get press-ons (don't do the glue-on kind, use the ones with stickers) at any pharmacy if you need an emergency fix up for bling photoshoots!

This is so random, I know, but please be careful with the biotin! My mom recently was feeling nauseous and dizzy all the time, and the doctors figured out that she had elevated lipaids (sp?) and pancreatitis. She had been taking biotin (the regular dose) and the drs attributed her issues to that, and as soon as she stopped taking it she started to get better. I doubt pancreatitis is a common side effect, but just be careful!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the reassuring advice. It is lifting from the bottom so I would say it is close to half way lifted. I promise I won't rip it off! As tempting as that may be. I am going to put a bandaid on it and try to leave it alone...... :sick:

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry! I hope it grows back in soon. I was going to suggest biotin to help them grown more quickly, but be careful not to take too much!

Other than that, I agree with previous posters. Cut it short and try not to pick or mess with it. *****dust for fast fingernail growth!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
atp223|1334497973|3171484 said:
And biotin works for my nails, too. I notice it grows faster when I take a high dosage. I purchased mine from Whole Foods and I got the highest dosage they offer. The instructions say to take 1-2 pills once or twice a day. I take 2 with breakfast and 2 before I sleep.

This is so random, I know, but please be careful with the biotin! My mom recently was feeling nauseous and dizzy all the time, and the doctors figured out that she had elevated lipaids (sp?) and pancreatitis. She had been taking biotin (the regular dose) and the drs attributed her issues to that, and as soon as she stopped taking it she started to get better. I doubt pancreatitis is a common side effect, but just be careful!

:o WHAT. Really?! Oh no, I just did a few google searches and found some scary "rare side effects". I haven't had any issues yet. My previous post was off of my cellphone, away from home. Now that I'm home, I can list what I'm taking: 500 MGC. And I take ~2000 MGC a day, if I remember. I haven't had any weird side effects yet.. (CHEST TIGHTNESS? SHORTNESS OF BREATH, TOO?!)

If I notice anything funky, I'll stop. But thanks for pointing that out to me and making me aware!

OK I totally googled the "trauma to nail bed lifting" thing and got led to onycholysis. Maybe I'm a hypochondriac, but I totally think I have that! I mean, it's not as bad as the google photos, but they always seem to put the most dramatic photos anyway. :knockout: BARF!!

Here are some excerpts:
Expected Duration

Nails are slow to grow and take time to repair themselves. The portion of nail that has separated from the skin surface beneath it will not reattach. Onycholysis only goes away after new nail has replaced the affected area. It takes four to six months for a fingernail to fully regrow, and twice as long for toenails. Some nail problems are difficult to cure and may affect the nail appearance permanently.

There's hope! It'll grow out :)) And there you go, a timeline: 4-6 months. That website gave tips that included trimming it close, and keeping your nails dry by wearing gloves rather than washing your hands often. (This is probably one of my problems! I wash my hands at least 10 times a day!)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1334550452|3172112 said:
atp223|1334497973|3171484 said:

:o WHAT. Really?! Oh no, I just did a few google searches and found some scary "rare side effects". I haven't had any issues yet. My previous post was off of my cellphone, away from home. Now that I'm home, I can list what I'm taking: 500 MGC. And I take ~2000 MGC a day, if I remember. I haven't had any weird side effects yet.. (CHEST TIGHTNESS? SHORTNESS OF BREATH, TOO?!)

If I notice anything funky, I'll stop. But thanks for pointing that out to me and making me aware!

OK I totally googled the "trauma to nail bed lifting" thing and got led to onycholysis. Maybe I'm a hypochondriac, but I totally think I have that! I mean, it's not as bad as the google photos, but they always seem to put the most dramatic photos anyway. :knockout: BARF!!

Here are some excerpts:
Expected Duration

Nails are slow to grow and take time to repair themselves. The portion of nail that has separated from the skin surface beneath it will not reattach. Onycholysis only goes away after new nail has replaced the affected area. It takes four to six months for a fingernail to fully regrow, and twice as long for toenails. Some nail problems are difficult to cure and may affect the nail appearance permanently.

There's hope! It'll grow out :)) And there you go, a timeline: 4-6 months. That website gave tips that included trimming it close, and keeping your nails dry by wearing gloves rather than washing your hands often. (This is probably one of my problems! I wash my hands at least 10 times a day!)

TBH, I'm surprised that the pancreatitis could be a possible side effect of biotin...it's essentially a water soluble form of vitamin b, so that means whatever your body can't absorb it should get rid of in your pee. But I didn't google "rare side effects" so...:shrugs:

Ooh, good luck with your recovery. I hope it's on the shorter end!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually,I didn't see any list including pancreatitis! I saw things list chest pain, chest tightness, difficulty breathing, palpitations.. :X Which are scary on their own. I wouldn't want to accidentally make a trip to the ER and embarrass myself!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1334586528|3172286 said:
Actually,I didn't see any list including pancreatitis! I saw things list chest pain, chest tightness, difficulty breathing, palpitations.. :X Which are scary on their own. I wouldn't want to accidentally make a trip to the ER and embarrass myself!
Be careful madelise! We don't want a future speechie with breathing problems!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's that nail doing, PhDecorate?

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
madelise|1335642725|3183055 said:
Ugh..don't ask! It has not fallen off yet, not sure if that is good or bad! The bottom is mostly lifted off except for the corner. So I keep painting it and wear a bandaid every day. The bandaid is annoying, but I guess it is better than no nail. With the top of the nail sticking out of the bandaid, at least it "appears" normal! :wacko: however, it really has been over a month...so this online estimates of 6 to 12 mo's are starting to look more realistic - :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phdecorate|1335644400|3183077 said:
Ugh..don't ask! It has not fallen off yet, not sure if that is good or bad! The bottom is mostly lifted off except for the corner. So I keep painting it and wear a bandaid every day. The bandaid is annoying, but I guess it is better than no nail. With the top of the nail sticking out of the bandaid, at least it "appears" normal! :wacko: however, it really has been over a month...so this online estimates of 6 to 12 mo's are starting to look more realistic - :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

:( oh no!

I'd figure it's a good thing if it hasn't fallen off? That you didn't damage the rest of the nail? Are you taking any vitamins or whatnot to speed up the growth process?

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
madelise|1335645679|3183088 said:
Phdecorate|1335644400|3183077 said:

:( oh no!

I'd figure it's a good thing if it hasn't fallen off? That you didn't damage the rest of the nail? Are you taking any vitamins or whatnot to speed up the growth process?

Not sure...it is only partially connected. But I read if you pull it off, you could cause more damage. I do see some growth on the bottom though, so hopefully that is a good sign. I thought of the prenatal vitamins, but haven't ever bought any..

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess the bandaid is preventing it from being accidentally ripped off (EW! gross visual with that... sorry!) but I also wonder if it is preventing air getting in and then speeding up the drying/healing/growth process. Is that possible? Don't know enough about 'the life of a fingernail', but I wonder if maybe a little time exposed could help?

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1335650878|3183130 said:
I guess the bandaid is preventing it from being accidentally ripped off (EW! gross visual with that... sorry!) but I also wonder if it is preventing air getting in and then speeding up the drying/healing/growth process. Is that possible? Don't know enough about 'the life of a fingernail', but I wonder if maybe a little time exposed could help?
I only wear the bandaid in public! I take it off when I get home! =)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Pick up some Biotin. See if it helps. :)

pinkchick23

Rough_Rock
Phdecorate|1334436053|3171075 said:
so about three weeks ago, I accidentally closed my finger (left pointer) in the car door. Can you say OUCH?! It throbbed for days. Right below my cuticle was all bruised and then a small bruise appeared under the nail but I figured, ok, at least I can cover that with nail polish. Well now the ENTIRE nail is lifting from the bottom and it is going to come completely off!!! Sorry, I know it is gross.

I am totally freaking out as I know someone who had her big toe run over by a shopping cart and it has never grown back. She actually wears a fake toenail press on thing if she wears sandals, flip flops, etc. What if this happens to my finger???

Not to mention, hoping to have something to show off on that hand sometime soon..... :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Has this happened to anyone with good results?? How long does it take??

I know this was posted 4 years ago, but I was curious as to what happened to your nail? I have the same issue and when I googled it this page came up. I'm freaking out, because I might have to show off my left hand soon too. Did you take anything or put anything on your finger to help your nail grow back? Mine has been re-growing for almost a year now and it feels like it's taking forever! Of course it's my left hand, middle finger. I read the whole thread about taking Biotin or just soaking it in warm water with salt after trimming. I've been doing peroxide with water. The nail bed is healing slower than a snail's pace. I hope you can help, because I'm at my wit's end. Thanks!

danusia

Rough_Rock
That happened to me a few years ago and it took about 18 months to 2 years to heal, but mine was on my right hand . I wonder if it is a hand you use the most where you see results sooner. I also took biotin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results